Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Has anyone else experienced this yet? It is winter on the east coast and we turned on the heater and the car began to smell like an electric wire is burning. It literally is making us sick. The A/C did not produce this smell. The dealer says it is normal.

Any insight is welcomed

·
Registered
133 Posts
The GT has a PTC heater. There is a large tread about it. But that doesn't sound normal. Its -28c here right now and i get no burning smell.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's probably that pre heater electric heater element that causing the smell (PTC )
Either something is touching it or the element is shorting out.

Take in for warranty work ASAP

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would recommend taking it to a different dealer if you don't get anywhere with the one you purchased from. ASAP, because vehicle fires usually result in a fully involved car within a couple of minutes

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any clues from the dealer why they're calling that 'normal'? Did they think it was something in the manufacturing process that would evaporate and go away soon?

I vaguely remember a smell withe the heater's first use, but it wasn't an alarming smell. It was the seat heaters that had me worried for a few minutes, they had the burned electrical smell. But it was gone quickly. A burning smell that lingers, I would want them to explain why that's normal!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any clues from the dealer why they're calling that 'normal'? Did they think it was something in the manufacturing process that would evaporate and go away soon?

I vaguely remember a smell withe the heater's first use, but it wasn't an alarming smell. It was the seat heaters that had me worried for a few minutes, they had the burned electrical smell. But it was gone quickly. A burning smell that lingers, I would want them to explain why that's normal!
I would walk into the dealer, and tell the dealer that you want their 'normal' diagnosis put in writing so that you have a record of it just in case you need it later on. If they ask why, tell them for your lawyer, insurance company, etc.

·
22,788 Posts
I fully anticipate new smells when initially owning a car. But talkingrat's use of one word should be cause for alarm or concern: "lingering." I am not a fan of anything that "lingers." Good point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts