Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time here. Bought 1995 Elantra for my son two weeks ago. :)

1995 elantra timing belt changed at 82000. Hard to start 2nd time out. Before i got home, the car lost power would only go 15-20 mph. Drove for 1/8 to 1/4 mile and died and would not start. The timing belt helped the performance at first, but by the time I took it out the 2nd time it seemed to not run as smooth. What do you think it could be. :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
Who carried out the timing belt replacement.
These belts are notorious for slipping if not carried out correctly.

We have had heaps come into the workshop, where some dodgy mechanic carried out the timing belt, and has buggered the tensioner, or attempted in using the tool which is inserted at the back of the timing cover to carry out further adjustments and buggered it in the process.

We also had a car come in where the mechanic had completely destroyed the oil pump housing, believe it or not,

For some reason alot of mecahnics cannot get there heads around these timing belts!

Have you checked that the timing marks match up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by duke@Nov 3 2004, 11:14 AM
the auto tensioner MUST be replaced every 96K km
[snapback]2292[/snapback]​

I took it to the local Hyundai dealer. Their mechanics did the timing belt. I tried to crank it again today,did not start. I pulled one of the plugs and could smell some gas, but I still don't know if it is getting enough fuel. I'll pull the timing cover off tomorrow and check if the timing marks line up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts