Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post a comment about my experience a few weeks ago while test driving a 2013 elantra. I looked at these cars about 7 years ago and was not entirely impressed. However, I recently had my head turned while driving through St Catharines. I ended up stopping at a dealership called Performance Hyundai. I took a midnight black 2013 Elantra out for a spin and was quite surprised with the performance. While I am partial to sedans, I also look for a car that handles well and gives me a nice ride with lots of power. I will certainly put this car on my next list of considerations when I am ready to buy.
Does anyone have any other model suggestions I could try

·
Registered
911 Posts
Huh? Handles well with lots of power? Have you been driving a 1980 Yugo with two cylinders out?

Look, I truly love my 2012 Elantra, but it handles barely OK stock and CLEARLY has no power! It's strong points to me are gas mileage and looks (interior and outside). That is why I bought it. There are a few simple things you can do to improve the handling. But power? You were kidding right!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Test drive the coupe or the GT version. I feel that the coupe handles pretty well I took it on some curvy road in the mountain and it performed well. Yea there is a lack of power but when you are only shifting gears from 1 to 3 you really dont need a lot.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If you're looking for a well-built economy car with a good value and good economy, buy an Elantra. If you want something powerful and fun to drive, go buy a Ford Mustang or a Chevrolet Camaro.

·
22,788 Posts
Or, option "B": wait until you don't are about speed, or getting from Point A to Point B in 1/2 nano second. Ingrid's got plenty of pep to satisfy this old guy.

·
6,836 Posts
:00000732: LiveToDrive. I would have never considered a Hyundai a few years ago. Today, that has all changed, although I'm driving a Leaf currently. And yes, it's zippy and doesn't use gas. Range is not for the long haul, but it will likely not be a long-term vehicle, as it's a lease.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My Elantra has plenty of power. If you are buying the car to use it for transportation it is fully capable. If you are buying the car to set a land speed record with, it will fall short.

Speed, or perception of speed is all relative really, what vehicle the OP is upgrading from would come into play. I think my Elantra has "lots of power" too, it hasn't let me down once in that area...from commuting to 2000+ mile road trips, its a car that is fully capable as far as power goes. Acceleration is fine, top speed in 6th is fine too!

·
Registered
911 Posts
We are not talking about speed. When discussing power, folks are generally talking acceleration capability. In this, the Elantra is quite lacking. Yes, it is great for getting around in, but don't expect it to make the commute a fun and exciting automotive experience from an enthusiast's point of view! Once again, the Elantra is quite lacking in power. It makes up for this in efficiency.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
We are not talking about speed. When discussing power, folks are generally talking acceleration capability. In this, the Elantra is quite lacking. Yes, it is great for getting around in, but don't expect it to make the commute a fun and exciting automotive experience from an enthusiast's point of view! Once again, the Elantra is quite lacking in power. It makes up for this in efficiency.
I have as much fun and excitement one could expect to have I'd imagine on the woderful 10 freeway. Probably as much fun as the guy driving the Porsche at a 5mph pace in my rearview. I doubt that drive is done with any enthuaiasm by anyone, regardless of car model.

Again, I've used my E for commutes and roadtrips, power or lack thereof, was never an issue even fully loaded up. In the end, its all relative to an individuals perception or expectation. My car accelerates great, its quite impressive what that lil 4 banger can do!

·
22,788 Posts
We were at the Hyundai store and wife had been looking at Tucson's. I was looking at 2010 Accents and Elantras. While backing up the 2010 Elantra, I saw this car to my left. Asked what it was. Told the new 2011 Elantra. Once I got my neck untwisted, I was hooked. Two Elantras later, no regrets. None! Nada! Happy camper, here.

And yes, I remember the old Excels of the 80's. Talk about "light years" in technogical and design advancements? They have turned the corner. Look around you! I see doctor's driving the new models: Genesis, Vera Cruz, their wives in Santa Fe's... One bought his college-bound daughter a Tucson to get her around school and home. The way he figured it, the cash outlay was minimal yet the warranty and piece of mind that the roadside assistance brought...a no brainer. Hard to argue against that logic!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I now see more Elantras than Civics in my city and there are more Hyundai's and Kia's than any other makes. That tells a lot.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
For a 4 cyl, it has plenty of power to Point C also.
With only 131 lbs-ft of Elantra torque, you really have to drive the VW diesel if you want to feel high mpg pull. You have to dump 3 gears in the Elantra before you can try for similar performance...... & then NOT! But everyone knows I go for the mpg & saved a bunch of money buying the Elantra, rather than VW or anything else.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts