Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hyundai Elantra 2000 steering vibrates side-by-side in between 25 and 40 MPH and goes away over 50 MPH. It started last month after I rotated and balanced the tires at Discount Tire. Tires are 7 months old. According to Discount Tire, all wheels are balanced and they visually inspected the front rims and said they were OK. Discount Tire said the vibration issue is not with the tires. I had a friend check the tie-rod, bearings and CV joints and they seemed OK. The vibration is mild and I can probably live with it even though it can be annoying when driving for a long time. What is causing the vibration?

I read that out-of-balance tires cause steering wheel vibration at 50 MPH or higher. That is not the case for me. I also read warped break rotors can cause vibration. I replaced brake pads 8 months ago and the rotors were shaved, not replaced. I still have original breaks on rear wheels. I only have 50 some thousand miles on this car.

Your comment will be appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you're describing sounds like a symptom of cupping, an uneven wear pattern on the tires, often caused by bad shocks. I had a very similar experience. Right after a routine tire rotation, a speed-specific shake appeared - in my case 35-40mph. I rotated the tires back to where they were, and the shake went away. Cupping can be difficult to detect visually, unless it has reached an advanced stage.

Other possibilities: Alignment problem, or damage to the vehicle frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comment merryfrankster. I went back and asked Discount Tire to put the wheels back to where they were before the rotation. The young guy messed up which wheel was where because he removed all 4 wheels and piled them together without writing down which came from where. The result was not good. The steering was shaking a lot more this time. So, I went back to Discount Tire.
The manager at Discount Tire spun the wheels on the balance machine and told me to come inside the shop and see that 2 wheels were bent. I looked, but, I did not see anything. I guess in his expert eyes he saw the 2 bent wheels. Again, in my eyes I did not see anything that suggests the wheels were bent. So, he put the 2 bent wheels in the back and tried to convince me that 1 of the front wheel is minutely bent that cannot be seen easily with the naked eye. Now, the mild vibration is still there in between 30-40 MPH. It does not vibrate all the time though, but most of the time. The whole time I was at Discount Tires they were trying to sell me new wheels and other services. I felt like if I go back and ask them to try again and rotate the tires side-to-side, they were going to gang up against me and kick me out of the store.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Either they balanced the tires or not. If the rim is bent so much they can't balance the wheel, then that will show up on the balance machine. My view is that it's all BS.

So I don't buy the whole "bent wheel" scenario. It's usually crappy tires. I'd be willing to bet 2 to 1 if you replace the tires the problem will go away.

These cars have a problem because they use a high performance tire size. Usually people don't want to spend too much on tires for these cars, so they buy the crappy grades. These tires wear out fast, make a lot of noise, and make people believe they have other problems.

If I were you, I'd do like I did and buy four Kumho Ecsta Platimum tires from Tirerack.com, take it to Walmart for installation. I did this last year, and it's been the best tire experience I ever had. 30k miles later, they're still quiet, and they still have plenty of tread. I expect them to last 60k. The cost is as follows:

Tires: $61 each
Shipping: $30 for four
Install: $60 for four tires w/lifetime rotation and balance

Total cost is around $310 for four tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

I bought the same thing for my Dad's Lexus ES300, and it worked even better as the tires were designed for a luxury sedan rather than a cheesy Hyundai. It took me 3 years to convince my Dad to do it, he went through $1000 of other tires before he finally caved into me. Now he''s a believer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you're describing sounds like a symptom of cupping, an uneven wear pattern on the tires, often caused by bad shocks. I had a very similar experience. Right after a routine tire rotation, a speed-specific shake appeared - in my case 35-40mph. I rotated the tires back to where they were, and the shake went away. Cupping can be difficult to detect visually, unless it has reached an advanced stage.

Other possibilities: Alignment problem, or damage to the vehicle frame.
My Hyundai Elantra 2000 steering vibrates side-by-side in between 25 and 40 MPH and goes away over 50 MPH. It started last month after I rotated and balanced the tires at Discount Tire. Tires are 7 months old. According to Discount Tire, all wheels are balanced and they visually inspected the front rims and said they were OK. Discount Tire said the vibration issue is not with the tires. I had a friend check the tie-rod, bearings and CV joints and they seemed OK. The vibration is mild and I can probably live with it even though it can be annoying when driving for a long time. What is causing the vibration?

I read that out-of-balance tires cause steering wheel vibration at 50 MPH or higher. That is not the case for me. I also read warped break rotors can cause vibration. I replaced brake pads 8 months ago and the rotors were shaved, not replaced. I still have original breaks on rear wheels. I only have 50 some thousand miles on this car.

Your comment will be appreciated.
C/v axle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts