Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't it odd that Hyundai wanted an Elantra with more power and to achieve this they put in a smaller engine ? Was this done because there wasn't enough space for both the 2.0 engine and the turbo charger or to conserve fuel ? They used the engine from the Accent model instead of the engine from the Elantra, is this right ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Hyundai i30 which is the same car as our North American Elantra GT, is available in a performance version model "N" that has a 2.0L turbo.
The "N" will be coming to North America. With that model they will have models from mild to hot (hatch).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Hyundai i30 which is the same car as our North American Elantra GT, is available in a performance version model "N" that has a 2.0L turbo.
The "N" will be coming to North America. With that model they will have models from mild to hot (hatch).

Only in hatchback though and not sedan, right ? When are they planning to bring it here but I assume it will be quite expensive, especially in Canada ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but still, why did they choose the 1.6 engine instead of the 2.0 for the Sport model , was it to save gas ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
but still, why did they choose the 1.6 engine instead of the 2.0 for the Sport model , was it to save gas ?
I think we are seeing smaller turbo engines vs V6/larger 4 cylinders due to European regulation (and possibly regulation in Japan). In Europe you pay more taxes for larger displacement engines. By bringing the smaller turbo engines to the U.S. automakers save cost, and they can brag about potential fuel economy.

I like that we are seeing better torque numbers in the lower RPM curve with small turbo engines, however I don't see better fuel consumption. The Engineering Explained video below does a better job explaining this.

https://youtu.be/9aO2vC_iMTI

·
Registered
2 Posts
heating problems, 1.6 L turbo, Elantra Sport

Anyone having this issue with their heating, when i drive the car for like 30 mins you'd expect the car to be fully heated up, and yes this is the case , but when i put my heater on 3-4 setting you can watch the temp gauge drop to almost nothing, i've had it back to the dealer for a swap of the thermostat which was thought to be stuck open , however its still doing that very same thing, they so far have no idea, and have called their "high tech"guys as they call them to try to work out a solution..lemme know if anyone is having this issue.:|

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone having this issue with their heating, when i drive the car for like 30 mins you'd expect the car to be fully heated up, and yes this is the case , but when i put my heater on 3-4 setting you can watch the temp gauge drop to almost nothing, i've had it back to the dealer for a swap of the thermostat which was thought to be stuck open , however its still doing that very same thing, they so far have no idea, and have called their "high tech"guys as they call them to try to work out a solution..lemme know if anyone is having this issue.:|
There are these Canadian reviewers that have commented on something similar as well I think

https://youtu.be/V6fyTN9ms1Y?t=182

·
Registered
141 Posts
Emissions and fuel consumption. Many EU countries have taxes based on motor displacement and CO2 generation of the engine. Same goes for insurance. Current average fuel cost in Europe is €1.20/litre, which is roughly US $4.54 per gallon (if my calculations are correct). My Elantra Sport uses about 20% less fuel vs my previous 15 Elantra GSL 6-speed manual in winter driving.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Only in hatchback though and not sedan, right ? When are they planning to bring it here but I assume it will be quite expensive, especially in Canada ?
We got lousy N Line model replacing GT Sport Ultimate.

Now it is crappy car as they deleted 2 safety features and wireless charger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts