Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have searched this forum for several hours over the past few days and have not found any thread that shows how to install an aftermarket GPS head unit in a **non GT** 2011+ MD Elantra.

I used the Component Speaker Install thread from the Complete Audio Thread to install Infinity speakers and that worked great. I cannot, for the life of me, find an install guide or a how-to for installing my new Kenwood - DNX570HD (or any aftermarket head unit) into my 2013 Elantra Limited.

I bought the dash-kit, the wiring kit, the SiriusXM tuner and the steering wheel control unit. I downloaded the service manual and printed all the wiring diagrams. I figured out how to wire in the stock USB, the stock AUX and the stock Bluetooth mic.

The 1 question I have is:
Where and how do I mount the GPS antenna and run the wire?
Has anyone removed the Photo Sensor from their crash pad (dash) and put the GPS antenna there? I do not have automatic lights but the sensor bulge (and maybe the actual sensor) is in my crash pad.

Any help would be AWESOME! (other than telling me that to get an different product)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
You can probably just mount the GPS antenna under the dash somewhere/anywhere. My phone and TomTom still get a GPS signal when in the lower center console.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The GPS antenna for my Compass-nav sat on top of stock radio inside the dash and has no issues working.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I concur with Acebmxer. My CompassNav GPS antenna was placed as recommended in the CompassNav instructions: centered over the radio, underneath the dash. It works better than any other GPS system I have ever had.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you haven't already, you'll probably also want to invest into a wiring harness for the aftermarket install. It makes things much easier on you and your car and you don't have to be hunched inside your car wiring for longer than you have to. If you ever decide to change your deck in the future, or wish to return it back to stock, you can just remove the harness and not have to deal with any cut wires. It's also a very cheap investment.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-7304 Wiring Harness for Select 2010-Up Kia and Hyundai Vehicles: Car Electronics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot everyone!
Putting the antenna in the dash sounds like an awesome solution and very clean. I was worried that the plastic would interfere with the signal.
Being a physics teacher, I should have realized that if the signal can travel the 19,400Km through outer space and 60Km through the atmosphere that a 3mm piece of plastic probably wouldn't stop it...

This was a birthday present and my AMAZING girlfriend got all the accessories I needed for the install including the wiring harness. Unfortunately I will still have to cut or tap into a lot of wires for the steering wheel controls, bluetooth mic and AUX/USB to work clean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It should be noted that I learned the hard way that the Metra harnesses (70-7304 && 71-7304) are not a perfect pin/wire match for 2013 Elantras with the v3 non-navigation decks.

To avoid cutting any factory wires, I had hoped to use them when I installed an Alpine PowerPack about a month ago. But as several pins are missing I was unable to. In the end, I just wire-tapped where I could, and cut just the speaker lines.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Question, I have a gls with no nav or steering wheel buttons. And i am going to be installing a AVH-X5600BHS from pioneer.

Am i require to have any cable converters from the stock radio wiring to the new pioneer radio unit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts