Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:w00t: My 2000 elantra seems to be very harsh shifting when it is cold, not like FREEZING temps cold, just first thing out the driveway cold. After it has shifted a few times, seems to work just fine. Car has about 148K miles, fluid was said to be changed about 10k back, no news on whether or not they used Hyundai fluid, maybe just dextron, but as I said, not sure.
Lets just say, since I just bought the car, that they did use right fluid. Are there any service proceedures that can maybe keep this from getting worse? :liebe011:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same simptoms on mine. Elantra 1999 with rebuild trans at 167k. Now I have 201k.
I will try to put some more transoil in since the level is low.

Today 14 June I realy have a hard time moving the car. I chose to drive in D2 for 2 stops and after that was fine.
I will try to change the trans oil, to see if that is the issue. Menwhile I will start driving with D2 and after that move to D.
Have fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Definitely you should go to www.hmaservice.com and run a detailed search on "transmission" for your car and consult all the related Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs). As you will see, there are a a number of diagnostic procedures for the transmission. The first step is almost always to replace the fluid with the correct SPIII to the correct level. Be sure to check the level with the shift lever in Neutral. If your problem seems to be temperature-related, it might turn out that you need to replace the Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor. The sensor itself ran me about $65 from Hyundai, and you can access it easily if you remove the transmission pan. If your diagnostics point to a problem with the TCU, try to order one from a wrecker/salvage yard, you can get them for about $100 through car-parts.com. The TCU is wedged in under the dash on the driver side, but it it is not too hard to remove and replace. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Today June 18 I have replaced the tran oil with SPII, SPIII (Mobil) blend and filter.
Cost me $60 at Candian Tire.
First drive test of 1km run fine. Smooth change of speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts