Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same rear end shimmy on a civic that I cured with the addition of a rear sway bar (I tried replacing the bushings and shocks first but it didnt help). Do velosters come with rear sway bars? Maybe that would be an economical upgrade if you could find someone with one that went with an aftermarket piece.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The MD (Sedan, Coupe), GD (2012-2017 Elantra GT) series use the same basic torsion axle set up as the Veloster. But the GD rear axle has an integrated stabilizer bar. The sedan and coupe can both have an external bar added, Progress Technology or Pierce being the commonly used. It greatly improves the handling on the sedan and coupe with minimal ride harshness. Adding one to a GD is crazy, but fun. Will actually give the little beasties some oversteer if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did the kyb rears on my 2013 GT about 5 years ago. the ride did improve, and have had no issues with the replacement shocks. I am currently trying to obtain a quote on the front struts and thinking about having them replaced. would lke to get more discussion from gt owners on the front, like there was on the rear shocks. if it improves the front as much as it did for the back, I'd say it is worth the upgrade.l

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m haven’t found anything on front struts. The KYB’s listed for the front of the GT are nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This has been covered before, a while back. If your EGT came from the factory with 16" wheels it does not have the struts that came with the 17" wheel EGT. My '14 (17") still handles sharp with minimal side hop. It got even better with the addition of a secondary rear stabilizer bar.

With 16" wheels:
Front strut lft: Hyundai 54651-A5350
Front strut rt: Hyundai 54661-A5350
Strut Dust Cvr: Hyundai 54625-2F000
Rear shock: Hyundai 55300-A5700

with 17" wheels:
Front strut lft: Hyundai 54651-A5400
Front strut rt: Hyundai 54661-A5400
Strut Dust Cvr: Hyundai 54625-A5000
Rear shock: Hyundai 55300-A5800

The strut used on the 17" suspension requires a different
dust cover. The front sway bar links vary depending
on manufacturing date (at least for the 2014, maybe others).
Same springs called out for rear, front depends on manual
verses automatic. Same rear axle, same front sway bar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We are trying to find an UPGRADE to the crappy Hyundai struts and shocks. I know how to get OEM replacement part numbers. I have replaced the rear shocks with KYB shocks and this improved the rear. Better tracking, no side jumping. So front upgrade struts would improve the overall handling. We can’t find front struts that would be an upgrade from OEM. I’m not expecting BMW handling out of the Hyundai, but OEM struts are not my thing.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Okay, perhaps I didn't clarify. There are two sets of struts/shocks for the EGT. The part numbers listed for the 17" wheels are different and not at all what I would call "crappy". Very different from the standard part number parts used on the EGT without the 17" wheels. The 55300-A5800 rear shock is much more comparable to the KYB than the 55300-A5700. And I will warn you away from the Monroe. Worse than the base EGT shock/strut. Very soft/mushy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Will the struts for the 17” fit the car with 16”? I don’t want to assume.
I figured the Monroe’s were going to be worse than OEM.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Will the struts for the 17” fit the car with 16”? I don’t want to assume.
I figured the Monroe’s were going to be worse than OEM.
Yes, but requires a different dust cover. Monroe will be softer than OEM. Been there, done that, regretted it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good to hear the rears helped you. I have had my KYBs on for several years (I think I was one of the early adopters here) and they are still holding up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have options now. I finally see the KYB Excel-g front trusts for the Elantra GT available for sale. And was informed in this post that the “Sport Suspension” front struts (GT with optional 17” wheels) fits the base car with the 16” wheels. Now the question is which ones perform better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
KYB finally released the Excel-g front struts for the GD Elantra GT. I ordered them through shockwarehouse.com. I have used them before. I also see that Tire Rack is also carrying them. I installed them myself. My first front strut install! And boy, what a difference. Going over speed bumps and railroad tracks the car is not bouncy or skittish. Better handling going through turns and minimal front dive when heavy braking. My 2014 only has 53,000 miles but OEM front struts and rear shocks either were worn or they just sucked. Great upgrade. Now the car is not going to handle like it’s on rails. The Excel-g are OEM replacements. But much higher quality OEM. Like getting a fresh perfectly grilled rib-eye steak versus a frozenTV dinner “steak”.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
How are the front struts working out months later? Still a good decision?

When you changed them did you change the full assy or did you struts only? (Preserved factory springs)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts