Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a situation with my car and I need help because I don't know what to do anymore. I noticed tHat my steering wheel was a bit to the right when I drive straight so I had an alignment done. After the alignment the problem was not solved so I went to Hyundai again to redo the alignment. They told me that they redid it and also that my tires are worn unevenly so they rotated them. My problem is still not fixed! I called Hyundai yesterday and they insist saying that alignment is good and the problem are the tires. To me that don't make sense cause even with my summer tires the problem is there. I called Hyundai Canada and they think it's related to alignment and nothing else. What do I do??? :(

·
Registered
675 Posts
Post your alignment specs. If you don't have them, get a printout.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Very well could be tires...

Align done by mounting heads to wheels (solid mounting), thus when all done, the wheels is straight and square.

Align does not reference tires, tires just big air doughnuts.. go out and push sideways on the car and watch the wheels and car shift around with the tire treads stuck to the ground.. See where we going here ??

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It use to be to correct this problem was to adjust the tie rod. To give you some idea how it's done see this video
Yes I know its not a Elantra but I believe the process is the same.
If the alignment is correct this kind of adjustment should be simple.. you might mention this to the people who did the work

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is number of things that need to be done if steering is calibrated.

This video shows how involved it is.

Maybe it needs recalibration...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Didn't watch the video, but +1 for the idea. It def needs to be calibrated after alignment.
After watching the video I think it has more to do with steering effort not adjusting steering wheel position. Boy that sure is a complex system... very
impressive

·
22,793 Posts
Watched the video. Must agree that this is "way too complex" for me to ever care to deal with. Did find one point fascinating: the option for Variant Coding: selecting between "General" and "Europe" mode. Does this have anything to do with "amount of effort" required to turn the steering wheel?

Reason I ask: The wife's Tucson's EPS actually feels like the real "old world" power steering of yesteryear. It is effortless when turning. I like it, she doesn't. This isn't the feel I get in Ingrid or in my previous 2011. A bit more effort required to turn the wheel. I would rather have more of the "old school" feel. Is this something that can be adjusted at the dealer?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Watched the video. Must agree that this is "way too complex" for me to ever care to deal with. Did find one point fascinating: the option for Variant Coding: selecting between "General" and "Europe" mode. Does this have anything to do with "amount of effort" required to turn the steering wheel?

Reason I ask: The wife's Tucson's EPS actually feels like the real "old world" power steering of yesteryear. It is effortless when turning. I like it, she doesn't. This isn't the feel I get in Ingrid or in my previous 2011. A bit more effort required to turn the wheel. I would rather have more of the "old school" feel. Is this something that can be adjusted at the dealer?
I suspect the select-able steering mode found in many Hyundai/Kias now exploit this (ie. comfort, normal, sport).

Would be interesting if the dealer could adjust it though, but I suspect that they would have exploited this already as a sellable feature or 'upgrade.'

·
Registered
542 Posts

With my sonata se i get that heavy steering feel which im getting used to but i really don't like. Whenever i drive one of ny camry's it blows me away how effortless the steering feels compared to the sonata. I'd love to be able to get that effortless steering feel.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
22,793 Posts
Hoping sbr711 chimes in on this one. I am certain if anyone knows, it would be him. The guy is near-genius level. Heck, he may even be one. He won't show us his IQ test results so we'll never know. :grin:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had to have the wheel replaced because it had a bad spot in the leather, when I left my wheel was off to the right so I turned around and went back. The tech came out and apologized for not check it before he released the car and said it would only take a few minutes to fix it. He pulled it back in fixed it and pulled it back out in less than 10 minutes. He told me it was just and adjustment so it should be something simple and not the alignment because he did not put it back on the rack which I could see through the window in the waiting room.

·
22,793 Posts
On a Honda CRX I had, it was as simple as removing the steering wheel nut on the steering column and moving the wheel over one spline on the shaft. Took 5 minutes, tops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem fixed

Hey guys. listen to this, after 2 times i brought my car to hyundai dealer to fix the alignement, i decided this morning to bring it to an independant garage to fix alignment again. Guess what! the problem is fixed and it was the alignement ! Imagine the dealer they told me that the tires were worn unevenly and the problem wasn't the alignement!

i called back hyundai to give them a ton of ####. They reimbursed me the fees that i had to pay this morning.

How can we trust our dealers?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't, and never have.
I have used this system to determine a car dealership
#1 How are you treated by the sales staff
#2 what is the condition of the dealership (clean modern?)
#3 what is the condition of the service area
#5 How is the repair staff dressed (uniforms etc)
#6 How responsive or concerned does service writer is to your problem
#7 Does service tech discuss problem with you and then report what he did to fix the problem
I'm lucky to have 2 Hyundai dealer that fit these parameters One in Madison, WI and one in Stevens Point, WI. Both very professional and honest

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a Honda CRX I had, it was as simple as removing the steering wheel nut on the steering column and moving the wheel over one spline on the shaft. Took 5 minutes, tops.
The only problem with this is you now lost a hair of your turning radius one way and gained that amount the other direction. If that happened after an alignment then who ever aligned the vehicle didn't make sure the steering wheel was straight first and or the did all the toe adjustment on one side instead of evenly. Actually it's simple to do yourself, just loosen both sides and turn one side 1/4 turn and do the same on the opposite side until the steering wheel is straight again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi have the same problem. I use take my snow off they are 17 stock size and install a set of 18s brand new tires and rims. And my car star pulling to the left. I had before other 3 set 18 rims with out problems . any help will be nice

1 - 20 of 24 Posts