Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This might sound crazy but I was wondering if the bumper of the Elantra GT is compatible with the Elantra GL.
I own an Elantra GL 2013 but I think the bumper of the GT is perfect and so I thought maybe I could install the GT bumper on my GL. I can't find the answer anywhere and I didn't ask where I bought my car yet.

If anyone knows... I appreciate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

This might sound crazy but I was wondering if the bumper of the Elantra GT is compatible with the Elantra GL.
I own an Elantra GL 2013 but I think the bumper of the GT is perfect and so I thought maybe I could install the GT bumper on my GL. I can't find the answer anywhere and I didn't ask where I bought my car yet.

If anyone knows... I appreciate.

Thanks!
No, they are completely different cars (except for engine and some other stuff), from interior materials to exterior parts. The GT is actually called i30 overseas, that's why the interior is much nicer, take the door panels in where for the i30 you get soft touch materials but for the Elantra you just get hard plastics, same for the exterior, the i30 (or GT) has proyectors, the Elantra doesn't.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think I see where you're going with this and you can most likely do what RomeL, KevinU and I have done to our cars.

unfortunately though the GT headlights look amazing as well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw your car BoyDrone and I almost have the same idea as you. You car is awesome like that.
My idea was to install the Elantra GT front bumper on my Elantra GL, put everything black except for the white rims and white roof also(not sure for the white roof yet).
Anyway, I'll maybe try to install the Elantra Coupe front bumper on my GL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
take the door panels in where for the i30 you get soft touch materials but for the Elantra you just get hard plastics, same for the exterior, the i30 (or GT) has proyectors, the Elantra doesn't.
As far as the door panel goes, it depends on your trim. When I went shopping for my Elantra sedan, the first one I test drove had hard plastic door panels, but the one I eventually bought had the soft touch stuff. The difference is that the latter had the preferred package.

Chris

·
Registered
302 Posts
That won't work either - each of the three US body styles (sedan, coupe, and GT) have different styling on the front end - nothing interchanges.

- Mark
why do you think that the coupe bumper is not interchangeable with the sedan, on quick examination is looks like it could be a direct fit. and so far i haven't seen anybody attempt this to begin with, so although there's no proof it will fit, there's also NO proof that it won't fit.

to the OP, the GT won't fit, that's guaranteed, but you can definitely be the first to attempt the coupe swap and let us know if it was a direct swap or no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why do you think that the coupe bumper is not interchangeable with the sedan, on quick examination is looks like it could be a direct fit. and so far i haven't seen anybody attempt this to begin with, so although there's no proof it will fit, there's also NO proof that it won't fit.

to the OP, the GT won't fit, that's guaranteed, but you can definitely be the first to attempt the coupe swap and let us know if it was a direct swap or no.
I have to go to my Hyundai garage for the first check up. I'll ask the mechanics. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have to go to my Hyundai garage for the first check up. I'll ask the mechanics. I'll let you know!
waiting to hear...

looks more promising after tracing some lines, could be even headlights are interchangeable. and if that is true, than the whole front end is pretty much interchangeable.

technically, comparing part numbers for hood and fenders of sedan and coupe should tell us if they fit or not, if they do, they should have the same part numbers

·
Registered
893 Posts
why do you think that the coupe bumper is not interchangeable with the sedan, on quick examination is looks like it could be a direct fit.
The question was not interchangeability between the coupe and sedan; it was interchangeabilty between the GT and either the sedan or (in a later question) the coupe. It's possible the coupe and sedan are the same.... can't tell completely from pictures. But they're both dramatically different than the GT.

- Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
the original question was regarding the GT, you are correct, and no arguments there, which is why i didn't bother in replying. however, the OP did mention later that he might opt for the coupe, which you also quickly dismissed that idea, and that is why i jumped in because i think otherwise.

not trying to argue with you, but just trying to suggest that the coupe to sedan could potentially work.

either way, you are are correct, both are significantly different from the GT,

·
Registered
279 Posts
I contacted Hyundai to see if the coupes exhaust would fit on the sedan since a lot of people opt to cut out there rear bumper for dual chrome tips and the answer I got was we aren't sure, so I'm going to the dealership and look under both cars and take some measurements

·
22,788 Posts
I contacted Hyundai...and the answer I got was we aren't sure..., so I'm going to the dealership...
I'm certain they aren't sure. What I'm not certain of, is this: Are those clowns over at the Hyundai 800# certain of anything?

I called Hyundai once, in April 2011 over an unrelated matter regarding a synthetic product. I had just bought my first Elantra. Being a proud and dutiful owner I was seeking their professional advice. The answer I received was so incompetent I have never called back. Having read other members experiences from similar calls, I don't regret my decision.

If I have a question or need authoritative proof regarding something on/about my car, I'll ask here, on the Forum.

Maybe Hyundai should refer their 800# callers here. :wink2:

·
Registered
893 Posts
the original question was regarding the GT, you are correct, and no arguments there, which is why i didn't bother in replying. however, the OP did mention later that he might opt for the coupe, which you also quickly dismissed that idea, and that is why i jumped in because i think otherwise.

not trying to argue with you, but just trying to suggest that the coupe to sedan could potentially work.

either way, you are are correct, both are significantly different from the GT,
You're correct - I lost the idea that he had a sedan and he was thinking about the GT's bumper on a sedan rather than the vice versa. My bad. The coupe and sedan might be interchangeable although I read somewhere that they weren't.

Sorta begs the question though: If the parts are the same, what's the point of swapping them?

- Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
You're correct - I lost the idea that he had a sedan and he was thinking about the GT's bumper on a sedan rather than the vice versa. My bad. The coupe and sedan might be interchangeable although I read somewhere that they weren't.

Sorta begs the question though: If the parts are the same, what's the point of swapping them?

- Mark
No problem :)

If the parts are the same, you are correct, there is no point in swapping those parts. However, it could mean that things like the front bumper could be interchangeable. After all, the coupe bumper has a slightly more aggressive look to it, which for some sedan owners is exactly what they want.

For example, many civic owners swap the rear trunk lids from the Acura csx, along with the taillights to make it look like a JDM civic. The parts are direct swap and no customization required

·
22,788 Posts
He's going for the "dual exhaust tips" appearance, I believe. I had thought about it but like those clean, uninterrupted lines at the bumper's base.

I elected, instead, to install the rear LED lights where the reflectors are located. Gives a totally different look to the rear. Especially at night as they illuminate with the tail lights, or whenever applying the brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

- Mark
I am happy to see those replies and questionings at the same time. My first thought when I asked this question was because of the aggressive look of the GT front bumper, but I visually compared the headlights and I noticed some slight differences between the GT and my sedan which made me jump on the coupe front bumper because I couldn't notice any differences and I like to look of it too.

Anyway, this week I'll probably have more answers from the mechanics (let's hope...) of my Hyundai garage.

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's going for the "dual exhaust tips" appearance, I believe. I had thought about it but like those clean, uninterrupted lines at the bumper's base.

I elected, instead, to install the rear LED lights where the reflectors are located. Gives a totally different look to the rear. Especially at night as they illuminate with the tail lights, or whenever applying the brakes.
You totally got it OkieRich!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts