Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 elantra it runs for days and all of a sudden it loses all its lights and acc. and dies, if it sets for a while it restarts and runs for a few days longer. I have replaced the alternator,battery, and new cables. when i check the voltage with the car running it shows 14-15 volts any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2000 Elantra Wagon never did this, but my first guess would be to check your chasis ground for rust. Unless you have an aftermarket stereo with amps in the back, then triple-check all of your grounds, and look at your power distrobution parts for corrosion on the power or ground wires. Also, if you have an aftermarket stereo, and it was already in the car when you bought it, take it to a stereo shop to have all the connections, fusees & other various wiring what-nots inspected. If there's nothing wrong, they usually won't charge you for a 5 minute once-over. Or if you know a competent car ausdio enthusiast, they could do it just as well, and it will definately be free. By "competent," I mean someone who has some trophies for it, not the 16 year old 2 doors down with a pair of Pyle 12s in the hatch of his CRX.

If your strereo's all stock, and no modifications have been done to the electrical system, I had a SuperCoupe once with a bad inertia switch which caused similar behavior. I don't know what an inertia switch is, or if Elantras even have them, but... that's all I've got. Anybody else?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts