Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last October I posted my disappointment that the current Elantra no longer has a water temperature gauge.One suggestion was to use advice called Scan Gauge to get this information http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...&hl=tassie6
Over the past few months I have checked this device out and found there are many similar ones but chose Scan Gauge.
This device plugs into the OBD2 socket and extracts data from the car computer system, this socket has been a requirement on all new cars since 1996.On the Elantra the socket is under the dash near the drivers right knee in Australian models, I would suggest near the left knee in USA ?
Installing the unit was simple just plugged it into the OBD2 socket and it talked to the car computer automatically
Scan Gauge can perform three functions.In addition the background lighting can be any of sixty three colours I chose blue to match the existing panel lighting.

Function (A) Digital Gauges. Gauge on the front panel > Water Temperature and there it was a digital readout to 1/10 of a degree and updated every two seconds. The front panel of the instrument can display four digital readouts so I added Battery Voltage, Throttle Position and Litres/100 km. So they are all on display and continually updated. There were ten other readouts I could have chosen from.

Function (B) Scan Tool for engine fault codes and also clear " Check Engine " light.

Function © Trip Computer has several readouts for trip data covering today and previous day. For example if you lent your car to someone yesterday you could check maximum speed and distance traveled etc. There is also an indication if the device has been disconnected.

I have mounted the Scan Gauge in a recess below the radio where it is a perfect fit. The radio unit fitted here takes up less depth on the facia than units I have seen in photos of USA models, hence the pocket / recess underneath ?
This setup is temporary as the cable from the unit to the OBD2 socket comes out over the facia panel.
My next job is to remove the facia panel and cut a small hole in the back of the recess to enable the cable to be taken out the back.

Members may be able to comment on the facia panel removal. Checking the Hyundai Service Website it is just a matter of using a suitable tool to get behind the side edges of the facia panel and pull it off. I have a sketch of the recommended Hyundai tool 09840-1E100. which I could make up if necessary.
(a) Is this tool necessary or any alternatives ? (B) How much pull/ force to remove the panel ?[attachment=18200:Img_2183.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like no response to this question possibly it is a job not frequently carried out.
I later raised this query on another Hyundai web site which resulted in a response plus useful information in other posts on downloading images.
The result I completed my post there, I will provide a link and hope the information may help someone sometime.

http://www.hyundai/forum/index.php?showtopic=25997

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Third time lucky ? Looks like I will have to type and change the address as Copy and Paste changes the address when downloaded or previewed here
I should add the last page on the post is the main one. Here goes with the correct address, which I have tested in an email.

( correct address was typed in here)

No go when I preview this post the web address changes, and can't be found by the browser..
Any comment from experts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know why you can't post the link ... perhaps a forum rule against linking to competing forums? Maybe a moderator will jump in here and clarify.

Anyway, I was able to find your link with Google ... using search terms Hyundai and the last part of your URL: /forum/index.php?showtopic=25997. It was the first hit in the Google search results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have one in my Elantra but I use a Scan Gauge in my Tacoma. It has helped with my MPG.
Among the items that the Scan Gauge can read is water temp and a number of other great information.

It will also read any scan codes.

Great tool.

Yuma,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you alanb
The link I was trying to post was from The Hyundai Elantra Club, there is no problem in the other direction ie. from this web site to The Hyundai Elantra Club ( maybe they are not afraid of outside information ? )
http://elantragtclub.tripod.com/elantra/ ( this link seems OK )
So it looks like the link in question is being blocked this end, if this is a forum rule it prevents the exchange of information between between different club sites and I am sure many of our members belong to other clubs as well.
Maybe the moderator or some one will be able to clarify this, I will be away for a few days so I await with interest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time to conclude this post as it is going nowhere on the question of facia removal.
I found another Hyundai web site with some information and as I had removed the facia by then I concluded a post there.
To date I am unable to copy and paste that link here, although it works OK on another Hyundai web site.
This was to save myself the time and effort to make a new post here.
To finalise the subject I will make a new post here Elantra Facia Removal ( post 2006 ) models, as the information may be helpful to some members who wish to work on or replace the radio, etc.

I may make a separate post on both web sites concerned on the copy and paste question, there must be an answer or something I have missed ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts