Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grand daughter has a 2012 Elantra that has had the engine replaced under warranty& recall. Now after the "dealership" replaced the engine we went to pick up the car & the A/C doesn't work at all. Of course it worked perfect before the engine blew & left her stranded on the highway. The service writer said they never touched anything in the A/C system. When it was pointed out that We didn't see anyway they could R&R the engine without draining the A/C the "mechanic" said he did drain & refill the A/C and that the compressor was bad. He said sometimes that just "happens". I call BS! His reasoning is since the compressor clutch won't engage the compressor is bad. I asked if he had ck'd for power to the clutch & he said it didn't make any difference if it had power or not. I asked if he ck'd any of the controls such as cycling switch & again replied it had to be the clutch. Does anyone have a diagram of the A/C system so I can hold his hand & diagnose the problem? I'm a retired diesel mechanic with 30 yrs of experiance but a diagram would help locate the components & wiring.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
replied it had to be the clutch.
Does the compressor on your car even have a clutch? A lot of modern AC compressors don't.

Assuming it does, the first thing I'd so is remove the AC relay from the engine bay fusebox and bypass it to see if you hear the clutch engage. If not you know the problem is between the relay and the clutch. If it does engage, you know the problem is on the control side of the relay which means it could be a gas pressure problem. The control system wont engage the compressor if the gas pressure is too high/low. And if there isn't an AC relay on the engine bay fusebox, there probably isn't a compressor clutch either.

Sorry, I don't have any diagrams for your model.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Manual control A/C has field coil clutch

Auto control A/C has Electronic Control Valve

Either way,, engine replace,, look to see that the plug at compressor is plugged in........

When I do engine on UD/MD Elantra, 3 bolt hold compressor to block,, swing compressor with lines attached and system as received under front bumper and tie out of way... only reason to ditch A/C was if new block different and required new compressor

A/C data can be seen in ENGINE data stream for system pressure, dash switch on, PCM command A/C to work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just took a quick glance at the A/C compressor when I was at the dealer. It looks like it does have a clutch. At first they denied unhooking or draining the system. Then said the only thing they did was drain & refill. The service writer keep saying his crew was young & still learning but that a tech looked at it & said sometimes compressors just go bad sitting on the lot. In my 35+ yrs of working on heavy truck A/C systems that has never happened. There has always been a noise or smoke before the compressor died.

I agree that it is something simple that is being overlooked like sbr711 said. I have made that mistake many times of not making sure a plug was correctly inserted or broken/loose wire at connector. The new mechanic said he didn't ck the A/C after the engine install because he didn't know if it worked before. I guess I need to make the 35 mile drive & see for myself. Maybe he forgot to charge the system, damaged an "o"ring & lost charge or the Hi/Lo switch is bad.

If the compressor was going bad shouldn't he have noticed debris or metal when he changed the desiccant bag?

Thanks for your answers & input !

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
This type of situation sounds like the stealership is trying to cover their butt at the customer's expense.
"Oh, it just happens to go bad" .. pure BS
"We never touch that" ... they had too if they were changing the engine
Infuriates me when they think they are talking to someone who knows nothing about cars
You've got 30 years and it would drive me nuts to have them talk to me that way.
Of course getting mad, doesn't get the stealership to fix the A/C

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did they happen to do a software update at the same time? My AC got screwed up that way last year and it took several more software updates until it was finally sorted out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I visited the dealership yesterday & talked with the service writer/manager/lotboy & car wash tech. His reply was that there was power to the clutch so the compressor had to be bad. I asked if they had ck'd the connector & wires at the clutch. He really didn't have an answer. I asked if the compressor can be turned by hand or was it locked up. Again just a confused look in his eyes. I asked if it was just the clutch & more strange looks. I asked to see his boss & was told that he was at the Ford dealership & would be there all afternoon. I then suggested that if he was positive it was the compressor then I'd be willing to split the cost to replace. After all it was working fine until they replaced the engine. He promised to ask & get back to me. I'm not counting on that. He is just a kid & I hope he made it home safe before curfew. Ready to take it home & have it repaired at another shop then file in small claims court if it can be proven they screwed it up.

I'm not sure if they did any software updates. I'm not even sure they know what that is. After having the car almost 6 weeks this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am sorry you have such a crap dealership to work with. Over the years a lot of good cars from various manufacturers have gotten bad local reps due to poor dealer service.

Skip the shop and talk to the owner. Small dealerships cannot survive with a bad reputation and he/she may not know what is happening in the shop. I've seen this happen time and again, especially in dealerships where the owner is a businessman, not a car guy/gal.

That being said, you might just take the car to a reputable a/c repair shop and have them check it out. If they find the issue is not a bad compressor, but something done during the engine swap, you could take the repair ticket to the owner of the dealership and present it with the understanding that you don't pay for dealership mistakes, and that a small claims court would agree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies & advice. I talked to the service manager that over sees several of the owners dealerships. He said he reviewed the problem & agrees with his tech's diagnosis that the compressor is bad. Since Hyundai doesn't service the A/c clutch as a separate part it needs a complete A/C compressor. They can take care of the problem for $300 but can't get to it for several days.

We picked the car up so I can ck out the problem but haven't had the chance to look at it. However after less than 50 miles of driving the ck engine light came on & it has codes of C1616 & P0451. From what I can find out C1616 is steering angle sensor & P0451 is an evap problem. Any suggestions? I will look at the car hopefully tomorrow. Still think it's a connector unhooked......just a gut feeling.

I did tell them if it can be traced back to engine replacement I will take to small claims court. His reply was do what you need to do. Hard to diagnose when car is 30 miles away! Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did they happen to do a software update at the same time? My AC got screwed up that way last year and it took several more software updates until it was finally sorted out
Having similar problems. Software just updated on 2012 Elantra as part of a recall. Now having AC issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had to go back a number of times and finally get the manager involved before they were able to correct it once and for all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does the compressor on your car even have a clutch? A lot of modern AC compressors don't.

Assuming it does, the first thing I'd so is remove the AC relay from the engine bay fusebox and bypass it to see if you hear the clutch engage. If not you know the problem is between the relay and the clutch. If it does engage, you know the problem is on the control side of the relay which means it could be a gas pressure problem. The control system wont engage the compressor if the gas pressure is too high/low. And if there isn't an AC relay on the engine bay fusebox, there probably isn't a compressor clutch either.

Sorry, I don't have any diagrams for your model.
I have yet to see a compressor without a clutch. How would it cycle ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts