Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m posting this partly for your info but also for your expertise.

Very long story short. My Elantra starting making noise in December 2017 and started stalling in low speed traffic (40kmph or less) several times in January 2018. I brought it to my dealer after reading here about the engine block problems and for the entire month of February it was there having the short block replaced. All on warranty thankfully.

Still made noise and stalled occasionally. I was discouraged and uneasy driving. I brought it back twice where the dealer couldn’t find the problem on their computers so did nothing.

The 4th time (August) I asked them to “drive it until it stalls and don’t give it back until you find the problem” Finally it stalled for the service rep and he was able to describe the problem. The noise happened between 1500 and 2000 rpm. This time they fixed an engine misfire and changed the crank sensor.

The car felt better after that but still made noise and stalled again twice. That brings us to today. My extended warranty runs out in 7000 km (approx 3 or 4 months) so I brought it in for warranty work and told them the noise and stalling are still happening.

This time they changed the CVVT Assembly. Noise SEEMS to be gone.

After all this....is it possible that the stalling could have been due to the faulty CVVT assy? What I am reading online says no...just bad mileage and dirty oil.

My dealer has been great but next step is Hyundai Canada before the warranty runs out.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
CVVT most likely did not cause your stalling but may very well have caused engine noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the CVVT replacement didn’t stop the stalling or the noise.

I brought it in again. 7 times the charm?

This time they found “scoring on the cams”. They replaced both camshaft intake and exhaust as well as replaced the head. Also found a problem with the altenator and changed that too.

Now the noise is gone and it seems much more stable in slow or stopped traffic.

I think, after a year, she might finally be fixed. :)

Thankful I took the extended warranty 7 yrs 140k Km. She’s at 136K now...but practically brand new under the hood.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No wonder 2013 year was marked 'clunker' by carcomplaints.com ... CVVT engines..the worst. I would never buy a car with CVVT engine or trans right now..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts