Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Elantra GL red, and was looking at the rear diffusers for them, cant seem to find any other than on ebay. I love the look of the one with the exhaust tips but im kinda confused does the diffuser have the fake exhaust tips on them?

looking at these two wont let me post link since new member but there on ebay

Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-Dual-muffler-Glossy-Black-1Pc-Fit-HYUNDAI-2011-2013-Elantra-/261205166818

Sports-Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-Matt-Black-Fit-HYUNDAI-2011-2012-2013-Elantra-MD-/251254981086

also getting the lip spoiler for $100 from spoilerking painted

anybody know where i can get front lip and skirts for decent price?

·
Registered
913 Posts
What are these "rear diffusers" even for? What do they diffuse? What is their purpose??? Anyone know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I suppose they "diffuse" air flow creating downforce. It's the same concept as a spoiler if I'm not mistaken. Our cars don't go fast enough for these parts to serve any other function than style. Haha.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a 2011 Elantra GL red, and was looking at the rear diffusers for them, cant seem to find any other than on ebay. I love the look of the one with the exhaust tips but im kinda confused does the diffuser have the fake exhaust tips on them?

looking at these two wont let me post link since new member but there on ebay

Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-Dual-muffler-Glossy-Black-1Pc-Fit-HYUNDAI-2011-2013-Elantra-/261205166818

Sports-Rear-Bumper-Diffuser-Matt-Black-Fit-HYUNDAI-2011-2012-2013-Elantra-MD-/251254981086

also getting the lip spoiler for $100 from spoilerking painted

anybody know where i can get front lip and skirts for decent price?
Those links don't work. Please repost. Also, the best place IMHO to buy the lip kit is HI motors.
Link 1 - Rear Bumper Diffuser Dual Muffler Glossy Black 1pc Fit Hyundai 2011 2013 Elantra | eBay

Link 2 - Sports Rear Bumper Diffuser Matt Black Fit Hyundai 2011 2012 2013 Elantra MD | eBay

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
That's what I figured, so what's the point? Sounds like a non-functional upgrade!
They are for looks, one mod I like but have not purchased since they have no function. I think the one with exhaust tips looks cheesy because when it's cold out the exhaust smoke still visibly comes out the bottom.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the second one. No matter which one you buy, make sure you PlastiDip the area surrounding the reflectors black. Especially if you have a white car.

The diffuser for this car is only for looks. Yes the tips are fake, but they look great. I do however, have a MagnaFlow pointed down like the stock exhaust. That also just for sound.

Everything on my car is SOF. Style Over Function. This car ain't going anywhere fast. I have been eyeballing that Boostec Turbo though. It would be nice if this thing was at least as quick as my '01 Prelude Type SH.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I went for the rear diffuser so I can have the functioning exhaust tips exposed. Plus the black breaks up the huge ass end on this car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Can someone who's actually installed this comment on how easy it was to install....say on a scale if 1-5 where five is the hardest? Please and thank you!

·
22,793 Posts
Haven't actually installed one. Read quite a bit on it, however. Most (if not all) will require critical positioning by two people. Drill 5 holes into your bumper (already premarked / drill holes on the diffuser) and screw in the attached mounting screws. There is a second smaller strip that is attached over the drilled area to hide the screws, held by 3M tape. Done. Probably a "2" if you'll read the instructions several times prior to beginning and keep them close by for reference during the actual install.

I've been on the fence about these since my first Elantra. IF I get the notion, it would ONLY be done when I can figure out how to have two "functioning" exhaust tips...one on each side, coming from some precut holes with chrome trim. Look up the rear tips of a 1965 Mustang GT's dual exhaust system for viewing. Similar to that. Otherwise, just a plain diffuser with no exhaust tips, fake or otherwise. That is what's holding me up on pulling the trigger. Who knows, if ever?

Having twin tips that don't function look good, but just doesn't ring my bell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can someone who's actually installed this comment on how easy it was to install....say on a scale if 1-5 where five is the hardest? Please and thank you!
I give it a 1.

It's literally 8 screws total and bammm... DONE. 5 minute job at best. (Doing it properly and removing the reflectors, prepping and spraying plastidip around the reflectors adds another hour)

If I remember, correctly 4 in the top center, 1 in each bottom corner and another 2 in the bottom middle.

You could do it single handedly, but I recommend having another pair of hands to hold it up, while you take a step back to look at it and make sure it is centered before you hit it with that first screw.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks Romel! I think even I can do that haha! The diffused section of my bumper is already painted gloss black so I would just need to put the diffuser over it.

Thank you Rich! I also do not like the fake dual exhaust tips but it will work for now.

Question though, we could always just get say a...Magnaflow exhaust later, take the car to a muffler shop and have them extend the pipes out to the tips or have the tips removed and just extend out the muffler pipes correct????

·
Registered
168 Posts
You'd have to cut the fake tips off. The whole thing is plastic and will melt... But yes, you could theoretically buy a MF later, cut out the fake tips and have them install custom tips. Make sure the new tips extend past the diffuser by at least an inch to minimize the heat exposure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good point my main man @RomelM12! Haha!

How much do you think will all of that muffler and exhaust mods cost?
Well my local muffler shop charged me $120 for both the MagnaFlow and to custom fabricate a downpipe tip. From what I hear, that's a darn good deal even though that was regular pricing for them.

·
22,793 Posts
$120 sounds "extremely" reasonable, to me! EXTREMELY!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Link 1

Link 2
I ordered the first link, installation is easy. Looks sick, I wish I could post pics but I'm a newbie on here and I gotta wait 7 days, which is gay. I guess when I enter my car for ride of the month I'll be able to show u. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To me, the diffusers with fake exhaust tips look kind of tacky. If I were to go that route, I'd want actual tailpipes coming out the back of the car.

I've been tempted by Sequence's single-port diffuser, which is notched directly below the right rear reflector for dual exhaust tips. DIY mounting, as previously discussed, isn't difficult, and the Sequence part is available in a glossy black which matches my car (even, IIRC, with the same NKA paint code). Nor would it be particularly difficult, once the Sequence diffuser was installed, to notch the bumper cover beneath it for exhaust pipe clearance; a bit of touch-up paint and you'd be done. Hyundai did much the same thing from the factory for the Elantra coupe, and I really dig the look.

Still, that's probably about $300 all told, between the cost of the diffuser, shipping, and having a muffler shop modify the existing tailpipe and install dual exhaust tips. (Opting for a Magnaflow muffler, or a complete performance cat-back exhaust system, would just add to the cost.) Not sure I can justify spending that right now, alas, especially for a mod that'd be done purely for looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To me, the diffusers with fake exhaust tips look kind of tacky. If I were to go that route, I'd want actual tailpipes coming out the back of the car.

I've been tempted by Sequence's single-port diffuser, which is notched directly below the right rear reflector for dual exhaust tips. DIY mounting, as previously discussed, isn't difficult, and the Sequence part is available in a glossy black which matches my car (even, IIRC, with the same NKA paint code). Nor would it be particularly difficult, once the Sequence diffuser was installed, to notch the bumper cover beneath it for exhaust pipe clearance; a bit of touch-up paint and you'd be done. Hyundai did much the same thing from the factory for the Elantra coupe, and I really dig the look.

Still, that's probably about $300 all told, between the cost of the diffuser, shipping, and having a muffler shop modify the existing tailpipe and install dual exhaust tips. (Opting for a Magnaflow muffler, or a complete performance cat-back exhaust system, would just add to the cost.) Not sure I can justify spending that right now, alas, especially for a mod that'd be done purely for looks.
In my opinion, the Elantra is not a sports car, to try to transform it into one by modifying it defeats the purpose. It's meant to be a fuel efficient sedan. Me personally, I'm not really a car guy. But I do like my car. For sports cars, I always wanted a Subaru Impreza WRX since playing Grand Turismo in high school. Having said all that, everyone who sees the diffuser on my car thinks it looks great. You cant tell that the exhausts are not real. If ur wanting to save money and give ur car that sporty look without messing around with the mechanics of it, I highly recommend

1 - 20 of 111 Posts