Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just worked out a way to block the EGR gasses from entering the intake manifold. On the right hand side of the intake manifold underneath there is a metal pipe that comes from the egr cooler to the manifold.I took the whole thing off and made sure it from the egr. Yeah,it was full of soot and oil,so I was right.I made a blanking plate from tin-plate and put it on the right hand flange that goes to the egr.The two bolts are easy to get in but,the two that go to the manifold were not.The front one was ok,but the rear one took an hour to wrangle in! Really awkward.You don't have to take them out like I did just loosen the right hand ones and slide in a blanking plate with slotted holes.Tighten them up and you're good to go.I've only driven a few klms so far,but the engine is more responsive and seems to go better. No check engine light so it works ok and no more crap going into the engine! Happy days. See pic of egr pipe under the intake manifold. My car is a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Elite 2.2R diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If all goes well and there's no reason why it shouldn't,I'll remove the pipe alltogether and put plates over the ports.At first I tried to remove the EGR valve and put a plate underneath it,but it wouldn't budge.As I didn't want to break it,I gave up on that idea and came up with this one after looking at the manifold pipe images.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I've done about 500klms and all is groovy.I fitted an oil bypass filter a month ago from an Australian maker Jackmaster and a ProVent200 oil catch-can a few months ago.Checkout oil catch-cans to learn what they do. The oil bypass filter is cleaning the engine oil of all crap and moisture that can harm the engine very nicely. I use Penrite Full Synthetic 5w40 oil and used to change it at about 6000klms,but not now.They say you never have to change your oil again.Not too sure about that,but,time will tell.Now with the EGR blocked the oil is a lot cleaner,too.Do some research on oil bypass filters and see what I mean.Very easy to fit and well worth the money.I have pictures of it fitted and some of the custom bracket I made for you to ogle.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So far I've done about 500klms and all is groovy.I fitted an oil bypass filter a month ago from an Australian maker Jackmaster and a ProVent200 oil catch-can a few months ago.Checkout oil catch-cans to learn what they do. The oil bypass filter is cleaning the engine oil of all crap and moisture that can harm the engine very nicely. I use Penrite Full Synthetic 5w40 oil and used to change it at about 6000klms,but not now.They say you never have to change your oil again.Not too sure about that,but,time will tell.Now with the EGR blocked the oil is a lot cleaner,too.Do some research on oil bypass filters and see what I mean.Very easy to fit and well worth the money.I have pictures of it fitted and some of the custom bracket I made for you to ogle.
I did the same thing to a 1996 lexus ls400, where the egr pipe would break in half. I merely made a blocking plate like you did out of some thin aluminum. But, I got a CEL light some time after I did it and ended up replacing the egr pipe(no easy feat in that car).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a CEL and cleared it using my OBD2 scanner.All good so far,but it may keep doing it every few hundred ks or so.If so I might drill a 4mil hole in the blanking plate and see what happens. Santa Fe kept going normally,though which is good.I think it was a 404 code,insufficient gas flow.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
I'm not sure drilling a hole will work. The MAF sensor is used to provide feedback to the PCM on the operation of the EGR valve. When the valve opens exhaust gas fills the engine intake taking up space that would normally be filled with the incoming air. That causes a reduction in MAF which tells the PCM that the EGR system is working. I don't think drilling a small hole in the blanking plate is going to significantly alter the MAF when the PCM commands the valve open so I suspect you'll still get the same insufficient gas flow trouble code. But suck it and see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah ok Autospark,sounds like a very good explanation of how the sneaky thing works.I've done about 100klms so far and no CEL so it looks like it takes a few hundred ks for it to register.I'm moving to Coolgardie in Western Australia soon which is about 3000 klms from here so if it comes up I'll just keep clearing the code.Thanks for the info.Maybe figure out what resistance the MAF is sending and put a resistor inline to fool the ECU.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,973 Posts
Maybe figure out what resistance the MAF is sending and put a resistor inline to fool the ECU.
I'm afraid that isn't an option. The MAF sends a digital signal, the frequency of which is proportional to air flow. It's not an analog voltage that you can alter with a resistor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got another CEL 401 error code at about 200 klms.Looks like that's about the average distance it spits the dummy and complains.Performance dosen't change though.So until someone comes up with something else I'll keep clearing the code and carry on.Could be worse.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You need good software to reset the position of the EGR to closed all the time as well as turning off the CEL. This practice is very big in Europe. I haven't done a Hyundai but have looked at the program from my I30 but got cold feet about the checksum not adding up so I left it alone. I have also carried out EGR operating tests and noted a substantial reduction in diesel knock when the valve is open which tells me disabling it may lead to engine damage. Best bet is leave it alone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting and thanks a lot for the info.The last thing I want to do is damage my engine because last year the high-pressure fuel pump lunched on itself and sent metal into the injectors and fuel tank etc which cost me $7300!! Until we get more info on disabling the egr,I might remove the plate so no more Large bills. Do you know the exact reason the egr is there in the first place? More info would be muchly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Ouch that's a big bill. The EGR reduces Oxides of Nitrogen. This pollutant causes photo chemical smog. The EGR allows burn exhaust gas into the engine to lower the peak temperatures during combustion. The theory is if you can lower the temperature during combustion you will lower the NOx emission but unfortunately the trade off is the engine is eating it's own crap so to speak. Diesels didn't start using EGR valves till fairly late for fear of losing power with the loss of heat during combustion. Catch 22 i'm afraid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the good explanation.Well,everything seems to be going great apart from the 401 error code every few hundred klms so I'll leave the plate in as I'm not keen on carbon crap eating my engines inards.I'm going to pull the intake manifold off and have a look at how much crud has built up in there.Easy job.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Well from my experience you will find it almost blocked. The EGR is probably one of the worst emission control devices ever produced. I once found a blanking plate on a Ford and it had a part number on it so I got a friend to do a search and he came up with nothing so I suspect it was an unofficial part to fix problems but not let it officially get out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. If Ford thought it was such a good idea,why did they blank it? How would I go about finding out how to delete the EGR code from the ECU charlescrown? A firmware solution might be better than a hardware one.Whichever way, I'm keeping the crap out of my engine.The oil bypass filter is doing a very good job of doing just that,too.Cleans the oil up nicely.Easy to fit apart from getting at the oil pressure switch but,the price was a bit up there ($390).Still,could be worse.The oil catchcan works too.No oil in it,but vapour comes out at times.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I have a program called ECM Titanium that I have used but don't have updates for some of the later cars. It is capable of turning off the EGR and I believe turning off the CEL. Have a look at this.
He has his facts wrong about what the EGR does but the procedure is shown.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
A good 3 way cat should be more than capable of reducing the NOx to an acceptable level. The EGR is very old technology going back to 1976 in Aust and earlier for US cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very good point.How would I go about obtaining the ECM Titanium program charlescrown?? I'd like to give it a shot and hopefully NOT kill my ECU.Thanks for any info.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.