Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016, blue. purchase 10/29/2016. mileage, 22800. today, push the start button, car barely turns over, but does start. i was going to get something for lunch, but instead, i went to oreilly's and got a load test. yup, bad battery. not even 3 years. so far, 4 ins claims, bad battery. this car may be possessed.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Doesn't sound good. What were the results from the load test? So long as it's 10.5 volts or better at 150 amps should be OK.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't sound good. What were the results from the load test? So long as it's 10.5 volts or better at 150 amps should be OK.
dont know. already installed new battery. even leaving to come home with the new battery in the trunk, it barely turned over. so, all is good now. but our gray car, purchased in dec, now is also suspect, so i will be load testing it, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Battery went in 50k 2016 Elantra

2016, blue. purchase 10/29/2016. mileage, 22800. today, push the start button, car barely turns over, but does start. i was going to get something for lunch, but instead, i went to oreilly's and got a load test. yup, bad battery. not even 3 years. so far, 4 ins claims, bad battery. this car may be possessed.
After 50k and 16 months of driving, my battery went bad (actually left the lights on and drained it but the cells were dead). Installed an Exide AGM and it runs better than when I first got it. Hyundai wanted $285 to put in their own AGM but I paid $165 for the Exide. I used to run Exides in my Nissan cars with no problems. Everyone else was running Optima Yellows for a lot more money.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Mine died around 2.5 years. Pro rated through the dealership. My cost was $90.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Battery life is mostly determined by how it's handled by you the owner.

Heat reduces battery life significantly: I noticed that you live in texas, in arizona our batteries don't last more than 3 years.

Car batteries should be kept at 90-100% charge as much as possible: If you're the type of person who likes to sit in your car, run your radio/lights/accessories with the engine off regularly, your battery won't last as long. If you let your battery drain all the way a few times, expect that to significantly shorten the life of your battery as well. A starter battery only has a cycle life of about 12-15 cycles if you run it all the way to 0 and back up to 100%.

Testing: Load testers at auto part stores are terrible test methods for batteries. they will give you false positive/negatives. Auto parts stores love them because they get you to buy a new battery pretty reliably! :-D The best test for your battery is the one you do everytime you get in it - starting the car. Every battery i've ever owned for my last 15 years of driving suddenly starts to crank real slow about a week before it actually won't start the car.

If you'd like to learn more, some of the best knowledge I've ever found for batteries is located here.
BU-214: Summary Table of Lead-based Batteries ? Battery University
The website isn't the most organized, and you will need a college level technical background if you want to understand all the "why's", but there's good care advice on this website. The website isn't solely for lead acid type batteries either. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Battery life is mostly determined by how it's handled by you the owner.

Heat reduces battery life significantly: I noticed that you live in texas, in arizona our batteries don't last more than 3 years.
To attest to your heat failure...our original Delco in the Buick lasted 11 yrs. It's under the back seat (Caddies too) and vented with tubing through the floor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I switched to AAA battery service in all my cars

If the battery fails within 36 months of purchase, it will be replaced free of charge
If the battery fails within the following 36 months, it will be replaced upon payment of a 6-year life pro-rated charge.

This after years with American Battery in Escondido with BlueMax brand, was tired of batteries dying withing around three years and AAA was in the ballpark of new and way better coverage.

Limitations
Warranty covers original purchaser only and is not transferable
Any removal of battery by a third party (not AAA) will void the warranty
Warranty does not cover the removal of old battery or installation costs for the new battery
Batteries that fail due to improper use or handling are not covered

Initially more expensive ~ $120 with 3 years coverage is sweet and another 3 years prorated.

The AAA driver said simply top the battery off with distilled water, as that is what kills "no-maintenance" batteries. If you want them to last longer. Plus AAA always checks out your entire electrical system.

Have to belong to AAA

The downside is you have to reset the clock

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at the dealer, and part time at a parts store, i have sold/serviced a LOT of batteries. and, in my 73 years(60 driving) i have gone thru a lot of batteries. first off, this sucker gave no warning. day before, started a couple of times normally. sat overnite. first start of the day, i push the start, and it barely turns, but did start. i then drove straight to oreilly's, turned it off, restarted, and it started normal. then, load tested, bought new battery, going home to change it. when i push the start, again, really slow turning, but it did start. i AINT waiting for no aaa battery, aint going to no dealer, i dont care about saving a couple of bucks. and i have done hundreds, maybe thousands of load tests, both on the car, and in the shop/store. i just expect a battery with a new car to last at least 3 years.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
Shouldn't it be covered under warranty based on the following battery life warranties (from the Hhyundai website itself):

Battery: for MY 15 and prior, 3 years/unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years/unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)

Battery: for MY 16, 3 years/36,000 miles (no proration)

·
Registered
786 Posts
at the dealer, and part time at a parts store, i have sold/serviced a LOT of batteries. and, in my 73 years(60 driving) i have gone thru a lot of batteries. first off, this sucker gave no warning. day before, started a couple of times normally. sat overnite. first start of the day, i push the start, and it barely turns, but did start. i then drove straight to oreilly's, turned it off, restarted, and it started normal. then, load tested, bought new battery, going home to change it. when i push the start, again, really slow turning, but it did start. i AINT waiting for no aaa battery, aint going to no dealer, i dont care about saving a couple of bucks. and i have done hundreds, maybe thousands of load tests, both on the car, and in the shop/store. i just expect a battery with a new car to last at least 3 years.
so the warning was there! ;-)

Feel free to follow some tips on that website I mentioned earlier if you want to make it past the 3 year mark.

Otherwise, I'm bummed that the H5/H6 batteries are only sold as maintenance-free now days. I realize that's a better option for the regular consumer, but if I could refill a battery I would get several more years out of batteries here in AZ!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Something about Elantras and batteries. I have a 2013 and a 2014. The batteries on both cars will fail within a month of each other and I get about 22-23 months out of them. Now on the 3rd battery for the '13 (just replace 3 days ago). I expect the battery in '14 will fail any day now.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 2011 when it was 5 years old. There were no issues, just felt like pushing it longer, was an unnecessary risk.
The battery in the 2013, failed at 3 years with no warning at all. I guess batteries are just, luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent cell failure, and yes, there is such a thing. And I know where Krum, Texas is, and the heat is a factor for sure. Mine lasted almost four years before doing the same thing, and I am about 200 miles south of you.

Once a battery gets a few years on it failures show up under extreme heat and extreme cold. Doesn't seem to be brand specific, either.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Old saying about car batteries: heat kills 'em, cold buries 'em.
The original battery in my previous Toyota Matrix was still going strong at 9 y.o.
Didn't want to chance a 10th winter.

My driving pattern is mostly 2-3 shortish (15-45 minute) drives per week, 6,000 miles per year.
So until recently I charge the battery overnight every 3 months. Keeps it full and happy.
For the Tucson I'm trying out a 5W solar panel I place on the dash when parked.
Battery floats at 12.9V after being parked a couple days in the sun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts