Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2015 Equus Signature with 43,238 mi. Yesterday on my way to a doctors appointment and just before I got there the front end went low. I could tell from the way it was riding. After leaving the Dr. office I could see it was low over the wheels. As I started home it seemed ok. Just before I got home it went low again. The next morning it was still low about an inch or less of the front tire. I backed it out of the garage and I could see the front end rising. When it stopped I could put my hand under the fender without touching the tire. When its low there are not warning lights or error messages and when I press the hi- lo switch it says the height is normal . After setting for awhile or over night it goes low again. But, when I start it, it raises to the correct height. Could it be a slow leak and if so what would be to most likely culprit. I will appreciate any help from anyone. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven’t had any suspension issues yet on my Equus but I’ve had that happen on a Mercedes I’ve had in the past and it was just a bad shock, it had a leak. Replaced both the front shocks and problem solved. I would imagine it’s probably the same issue you’re having on your Equus.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t had any suspension issues yet on my Equus but I’ve had that happen on a Mercedes I’ve had in the past and it was just a bad shock, it had a leak. Replaced both the front shocks and problem solved. I would imagine it’s probably the same issue you’re having on your Equus.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think I can drive the front end up on jack stands and search for the the leak. My next question is did you replace your shocks and if so was it difficult to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Do you think I can drive the front end up on jack stands and search for the the leak. My next question is did you replace your shocks and if so was it difficult to do.
Not sure what a leak would look like but I think by lifting up the car it'll definitely give you a better idea of what you're working with. Is it just one side of the front that sags or both the front shocks?
I did not replace the shocks myself, I ended up buying a pair of new front shocks on eBay for about $500 and I had a local mechanic swap them for me. It wasn't too expensive and honestly it looked like an easy job too, I'm sure you could do it at home if you have some decent tools. Might save you quite a bit of money.

When you fix it, you should post an update of what ended up being the problem and how much it cost to fix.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The right side front sags more than the left, but they both sag. So I'll replace both sides. I just want to see if I can find where the leak is coming from. I watched several videos on Mercedes Airmatic Suspension replacement, couldn't find anything on the Equus. I'm sure with Gods help and good people like yourself I can do the job. I'll keep you posted and thank you for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bet the left side is sagging is probably just the car trying to keep the car level or something but I’m pretty sure it’s recommended to replace both sides at the same time anyway. I haven’t looked but maybe there’s videos about suspension replacement on Genesis cars, I’d imagine they’re pretty similar.

Take a look at this link, maybe it’ll help. The online repair manual has been pretty helpful for me for other repairs.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, this is a real treasure. Thanks A.F this will help tremendously. I can't find any videos of Equus Air Strut replacement. Its hard to believe that at 43,000 mi the boots would be worn out. I found out that Arnott does not make Air Suspension parts for Equus.Today was not a good day for outside work (raining) as hurricanei Sally is in the Gulf. It's going to pass pretty close to us. I'm about 25 miles east of Pensacola, FL. Thanks again. If you find any more nuggets send them my way. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I jacked up the car I found a leak on the right Air Shock where the fitting comes out at the top. That's where the air is connected I tried to put some JB Weld around it hoping that might be a quick temporary fix. Then it seem the Compressor stopped working. I did a lots of troubleshooting and finally had to reset the ECU. Then the Compressor starting working again, the front end would raise up, however it would not stay up long. I soaped the Fitting and it didn't seem to be leaking much, so now I'm wondering if there is a leak some other place. At least my Compressor is working so I'm going to go ahead and order a set of Shocks. It's a shame because everything looks good. The Bellows look new. Plus the Shocks were German engineered. They usually are pretty reliable engineers. That one leak around the one Fitting ruined the whole thing. I'm hoping the new shocks will solve the problem. It's going to take awhile but I'll keep you posted. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered my Shocks todays. Won't be here till Oct 14-21. They're coming from across the pond. Paid $550 for em.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I'm back. The Air Shocks I order from eBay that was coming from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan arrived earlier that predicted but didn't work out. They shipped me some junk. They were suppose to be new Shocks but was not.They were also mismatched. One even had a tear in it. So the one that didn't have a tear in it went back per Sellers instructions. I ordered a pair from RMT (Rebuild Master Tech). Ordered them Tuesday, they arrived Friday. I put one on Friday and the other one on Saturday. The price was $600 plus tax and were OEM rebuilds so they were exact replacements. The only special tool I had to buy was a Ball Joint Separator ($19.95). The Shocks were rather easy to remove and install. Only 8 steps. I used the instructions from the Service Manual entitled "Hyundai Equus Front Air Strut Assembly Repair Procedures". Now it pumps us and stays up except the Right Side is lower than the Left side. So I'm going to take it to the Hyundai Service Shop to have the Sensors calibrated and 4 wheel alignment done. Have an appointment Wednesday. I hope that will complete the repair and nothing else pops up. Praying and keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post you on how things shake out. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they couldn't calibrate the Sensors because according to theTech the Solenoid valve block was bad. That is a real possibility. So, I ordered a Solenoid valve block and plan to put it on next week. While going through the instructions for installing it I ran across a phrase I'm not familiar with. It goes like this: "Remove the air fally with enough interval time and separate completely" I don't know what is meant by that. Does anyone know what is being conveyed. I could use some translation here big time. I will greatly appreciate it if someone will let me know. Thank you in advance. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I found the answer to my question concerning the phrase "air fally" I think the word fally is misspelled and should say "remove the air fully".

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Well I replaced the Solenoid Valve Block. As I was removing the tubes air started to escape and I let it escape slowly. After installation the compressor doesn't run and the whole car front and back is setting low. I tried resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery but to no avail. I wonder if it's because all the air being out of the system or do I have a bad compressor. I am not sure how long it hasn't been running. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are doing some heavy-duty work there!

The air-suspension compressor does not operate if the system air pressure is too low. This is to prevent burn-out of the compressor working trying to fill a leaking system.

Initial or supplemental filling of the "empty" air system is done with an external air-filling machine. The Hyundai GDS system does this for the techs. If using another device, it must have a "dryer" so that moisture is not introduced into the air suspension system (there is one built into the car's compressor).

When filling an empty system, the car must be lifted and the rear wheels removed. If not lifted, the introduction of high pressure air can cause the air spring to buckle.

If it was me, I would take it to a tech that has the GDS system to do it correctly. This may mean that you will have to go to a Hyundai dealer. Sorry about that.

Since you have done all the mighty work yourself, you may wish to try this yourself. The air-filling valve is up front. You will inflate to 12-17 bars.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for that great information. I was thinking along the same lines but you gave me confirmation. If I take it to the dealer I'll probably have to have it towed as it's so lo. As far as filling the system with air, I don't have the fitting that will fit the valve and don't know where I can get one. Do you know where I can get one? If I can't get one I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer :cry:. Thank you for your fast reply, for I had reached my wits end and needed some support. Have a blessed day.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been doing some looking into this valve fitting. Looks like there may be one on ebay that might work. Take a look at this ebay item number 1123 3723 4254 and see what you think. Looks like I might have to remove the present valve and replace it with this one and then I can use my air compressor to fill the system. 12 bar is equal to 174.045 PSI. My compressor only inflates to less than 100 PSI. What if I were to inflate it to half {87} that much.Do you think the compressor would fill the rest. Do you think that would work? I'm not sure how the air gets to the respective wheels. Looks like the ECU does that by controlling the Solenoid Valve Block. Let me know what you think and how you see it. I value your opinion. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never mind about the valve. I don't think it will work and even if it did, it's more to it than just putting air in the system. After reading the topic on "Air Injection Procedure", Looks like I'm going to have to take it to the Service Shop and have them do it with the proper equipment. Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know how everything shakes out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, I would take it to the evil dealer, the GDS machine has the proper inflation procedure so everything is done correctly.

While it may be tricky for repair, I like air suspension. I notice on a bridge here, where the concrete span joints cause cars to bump up and down, the EQUUS kind of rolls up and down while I see other cars hopping like rabbits. I wanted a smooth, quiet ride and the EQUUS provides.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Equus
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I know what you mean. It is a smooth ride. After replacing the solenoid valve block which they said was bad I had it towed to the shop and this time they blamed it on the air struts saying they were not OEM. I purchased them from Rebuild Master Tech and all they do is rebuild OEM. The shocks are exactly like mine accept they have their name RMT on them instead of Hyundai. Hyundai service shop sez their machine won't recognize the struts as OEM. They were able to air up the rear but not the front. That doesn't make sense to me. RMT sez they buy their parts from Hyundai to rebuild the shocks. The service shops have you over a barrel because they have the only equipment to service the system and they know that. So the end game is they want you to buy their parts. There are no local mechanics that have the equipment. So, here's where I am. RMT is going to send me another pair of Shocks. I'll install them and take it to the shop again. If they give me the same story, then I'm going to think about converting to conventional struts. If I buy their parts and have them put them on they're talking 5 to 6K. Sounds like a rip off to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts