Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a 2011 Automatic Sonata the other day for my business and it had this ECO light on. I haven't seen this light on my manual. What is the purpose of it and why does the manual transmission not have it??

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it just stays lit when you are driving more fuel efficiently. if you press the gas pedal more than 2mm down it goes off. it actually gets annoying after about a minute as it becomes an ankle ache to try to keep the green light on while crawling up to speed... my opinion only

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that's not true because i've never seen the light come on. I was going through the controls on the steering wheel and there was an option for eco on/off, I don't have this option on my steering wheel. I'm gonna go ahead and assume manual cars don't have this option!

·
Banned
630 Posts
in my mind, its a misleading idiot light....it makes one think they are in a hybrid in electric mode

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The two 2011 Sonata manual trans cars I've driven - my own and a press car - do not have the Eco light. There is no option in the display for the Eco light - just Trip A & B, average mph, mpg, and so on. The manual Sonata does have the equivalent - an upshift/downshift indicator that recommends shift points for best fuel economy. The engine has so much torque that you end up shifting well before the computer tells you to, so the numbers and arrow end up being more of a distraction, just like the Eco light.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's for Automatic transmissions only. The "ECO" system from what i recall is the car's computer system regulating the transmission/fuel/air to best fit the current driving conditions. I guess it matches the correct gear and whatnot to the speed you are driving. Even when accelerating, it's possible to be in ECO mode.

since you have a manual transmission, i believe you do not have this feature because the car's computer is not controlling the gearing of the transmission. i would verify in the owners manual or with the dealer though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's possible that the "ECO" light could just be a shift mode. You guys remember the old Beemers, where you could press the "Economy" switch, and it changed all the shift points to like 2000 rpm and ended up saving you 1/2MPG and causing you 10MPG worth of headaches. Look for a button to put it in sport mode.

Or it could possibly be like the new Fords, where if you drive in a manner that conserves fuel, it gives you a little reward light in the **** console, you know since we're all in 1st grade and we're motivated by gold star stickers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
From page 4-55 in (the pdf version of) the owners manual:
The ECO indicator light helps that you to drive economically. It is displayed if you drive fuel efficiently to help you improve fuel efficiency.
•The ECO indicator (green) will turn on when you are driving fuel efficiently in the ECO ON mode. If you don't want the indicator displayed, you can turn the ECO ON mode to OFF mode by pressing the TRIP button. As per ECO ON/OFF Mode operation, refer to the previous page.(if equipped)
•The fuel-efficiency can be changed by the driver's driving habits and road conditions.
•The ECO indicator does not funtion in P (Park), and N (Neutral), R (Reverse).
•When the instant fuel consumption mode is displayed on the LCD screen, the ECO indicator turns off (if equipped).

It's just a light that glows when the division calculation of miles (from vehicle speed sensor) and gallons (from injector pulse width) results in a mileage number that is above the EPA estimate. Turning Eco on or off does not change any parameters, it just reads and reports what it sees.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No ECO light on manual trans models. In those models it just tells you what gear you should be in for maximum fuel economy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just posted this in another thread, but figured I would copy it here...

There are actually two versions of this, apparently. The early 2011s merely let you turn the indicator on and off via the odometer menu. The later ones (built in the last month or so) allow you to turn "ECO mode" on or off. When on, the light is on ALL the time, not just when you are driving "economically." Apparently it makes some different decision with regards to to gearing, when to shift, and so on to same some gas. The numbers I've seen indicate that fuel economy goes up about 7% with it turned on. Honestly, I haven't tried turning it off, so I don't know how different it drives that way. I've heard that the shifts are a bit more abrupt and you have a bit more power, but that's completely anecdotal--no evidence to back that up.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I find the Eco light to be absurdly annoying and turned it off before leaving the dealer's lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts