Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just asked this question in another thread, so i thought i would ask it here for all to see. what exactly is eco mode ? what does it do ? i thought it was the notice in the instrument panel telling me when to shift for best milage/effencey . and is it the same with the auto and manusl trannys.:confused:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok not to sound jerkish but no need to start a whole thread for this question when it's been answered already.

Here you go courtesy of Dolph,

On automatics the ECO mode changes the shift points so it upshifts quicker to maintain lower RPMs, also tames down the throttle so you accelerate slower(unless you floor it, then you get full power), also tweaks the AC and other things to make them more efficent. On a manual transmission, it suggests when to shift for optimum efficentcy, and it might tweak the AC and other things as well(not sure on manual cars).

Also the light doesn't come on by itself, you have to turn it on with the 'Active ECO' button which should be just to the left(or the right, not sure what side the driver is on in South Africa), in the same area as the VSA on/off button and dash dimmer dial.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Straight from the owners manual

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
I believe the manuals just have the eco shift light function. The light comes on when you should shift to get the best fuel economy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Eco mode does not do anything with the transmission in an auto, don't know where some people come up with this stuff. Eco mode makes the torque converter lock sooner so that there is no engine power wasted on slippage. It also slows abrupt throttle movements. That's about it. You'll notice, starting with second gear all the way through sixth the converter is locked the whole time. With Eco off, the converter locks and unlocks depending on situation.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Read the information in the owners manual picture above....

We also "come up with this stuff" from various review sites and from official Hyundai press releases.

"Active Eco changes the throttle map, which means that the throttle opens less (and a bit more gradually) for a given press of the gas pedal. Floor it and the throttle opens wide, but at part throttle, the car will take off gently and deliver better fuel economy.
It also lowers the shift points for the transmission, and cycles the A/C compressor on/off when A/C is in use"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Read the information in the owners manual picture above....

We also "come up with this stuff" from various review sites and from official Hyundai press releases.

"Active Eco changes the throttle map, which means that the throttle opens less (and a bit more gradually) for a given press of the gas pedal. Floor it and the throttle opens wide, but at part throttle, the car will take off gently and deliver better fuel economy.
It also lowers the shift points for the transmission, and cycles the A/C compressor on/off when A/C is in use"
"review sites" and "press releases" containing information about torque converter modulation? Things must be boring these days at Hyundai and motor week.

The owners manual gives you LIMITED information on what happens when activated and how to activate and disable it. That's it.

Go ahead and create an account at HMAservice and begin reading some reliable information other than "sport compact car" and other sources of very unreliable information.

It does NOT affect a/c compressor cycles. It does NOT partially open the throttle when at WOT, the Eco function is disabled after a certain percentage of throttle input or when the shifter is placed into "sport/manual" mode as when you do that, the torque converter unlocks.

You're statement about how the throttle is only opened partially is dead wrong. By "limited" they mean there is a delay as the system is trying to smooth your drastic throttle input until it reaches a predermined time limit and reverts to normal non-Eco fuel, spark, throttle and torque converter tables. Not to mention, none of this applies to a manual transmissioned car as that could be potentially dangerous.

Btw; who is "we"? You're they only one that's spinning a web of confusion about this.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Once again, look up and READ as I have quoted another member on here, thus making it plural, hence "we."

Look man, I'm not on here I argue with your logic about tq converter fetishes. I relay information that is out there from reviewers. It is these opinions and reviews that made us choose this car over a fiesta, Mazda 2, versa, etc.

You can stick to your guns and say tq converter this and that. That's cool. But FYI, google Eco mode and bask in the abundance of threads, including Veloster, elantra, sonota, etc (once again, "we") that state the exact same info that I have relayed to the op.

Maybe I am dead wrong. But then so would a whole LOT of other people. I am on this forum to help others and learn about my investment, not flex my emuscles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On Manual cars the ECO Mode can be activated by pressing the 'Trip' button until it shows 'Eco Mode' - keep the button pressed in until the status changes ie. Eco mode Off - press and hold - Eco mode On.

I don't know what Eco Mode does, but on my car it shows me when to shift. I drive with the A/C all year round and haven't noticed any changes regarding 'coolness' etc.

Regardless - I'll keep using the Eco Mode for the novelty factor. The car flies when I want to drive fast and cruises equally comfortable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Once again, look up and READ as I have quoted another member on here, thus making it plural, hence "we."

Look man, I'm not on here I argue with your logic about tq converter fetishes. I relay information that is out there from reviewers. It is these opinions and reviews that made us choose this car over a fiesta, Mazda 2, versa, etc.

You can stick to your guns and say tq converter this and that. That's cool. But FYI, google Eco mode and bask in the abundance of threads, including Veloster, elantra, sonota, etc (once again, "we") that state the exact same info that I have relayed to the op.

Maybe I am dead wrong. But then so would a whole LOT of other people. I am on this forum to help others and learn about my investment, not flex my emuscles.
Buy a scan gauge and see it for yourself. It's easy to see. You can even see the PCM command the a/c clutch on and off when minimum prussures are reached when you use normal a/c and see it command the clutch on all the time with max a/c. It doesn't change with Eco setting. It can't. The a/c system has to maintain a minimum pressure in order to work properly. Minimum pressure is achieved in manual a/c operation.

I'm telling you there is no fuel trim adjustments, no reduced throttle, no shift point modification. ****, shift points are determined by rpm, throttle%, engine load% and vss. You will notice with Eco mode that the torque converter locks in 3rd gear and does not unlock unless the car is slowed below 35 mph. The coast clutch handles all the trans disengagement for shifting after the converter is locked. Eco mode is only converter modulation and throttle action smoothing. Nothing more.

BTW: none of this applies to a manual transmission car. There technically is no Eco mode. Just an Eco shift minder. The throttle action is not slowed and smoothed. Nothing is changed.

I'm really not trying to argue with you, or "we". I see these things, I relay them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Eightrac, do you have a 2012 auto? There's an obvious difference in throttle response and shift points with ECO on.

I don't understand why you think the people that wrote the owners manual would make stuff up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Eight,
I have a feeling you and I are going to become good friends on here..

There is indeed a BIG difference in how Eco and normal modes feel. Usually tq converter lockup only varies engine speed by a few hundred rpm's at the most. Try this, cruise at a constant speed, hit the button and notice there is no change in rpm. Tq converter is doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I've looked all over to see precisely what the ECO button does.. There is precious little on the net, and I can't find anything at all on the Hyundai technical site..

The best official description I've seen comes from the Hyundai USA web site:

Hyundai Accent - Performance | Hyundai

All Accent models with automatic transmission have an Active ECO System
that modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy. In
fact, based on internal tests this system provides up to a 7% improvement in
real-world fuel economy.

The Hyundai Canada 2012 Tucson brochure states the ECO system 'tunes the engine and transmission for maximum efficiency: http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Content/PDF/Tucson_en.pdf

There are several other references from Hyundai stating that ECO effects the engine and the transmission.... So I'm guessing that modulating the throttle and adjusting shift points and TCC lockup would basically be what the system does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the rest of us...

I have eco mode in my automatic and I'm no car expert...

Should I simply keep Eco mode on all the time if I want better gas mileage? Turn it off when you want more power?

·
Registered
96 Posts
This could possibly be a dumb question but when my A/C is on speed three (With Eco on) as I slow down I can literally hear the A/C fan speed slow down.. not by much but it's there. I shut the eco off (Manual Trans) with the trip computer but the A/C still does this. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
Could just be a voltage drop causing the fan speed slowing.

I see this on my '06, there's a ridiculous drop in voltage after letting off the gas (has been doing this for quite a while, probably have some deteriorating grounds in its old age.) Not sure how the new smart alternator behaves in this aspect.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Alx,

Depends how and where you drive. If you are in a small town, the Eco may not shift down quick enough when accelerating and will leave the engine feeling like it does not have enough power. Eco may save some fuel but based on the comments here, the savings will be very small.

I use Eco during the winter. The colder temperatures appear to delay the Normal shift points (the engine revs higher) and thus result in poorer fuel economy numbers. In Eco, the transmission shifts earlier and gave me improved fuel economy. During the summer, I am using Normal since the savings in Eco appear to have disappeared.

Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with the comments from 2012AccentSE. The changes to the shift points on the transmission are very noticeable under light throttle usage. In Eco, once the transmission is up to 4th or 5th, it is very reluctant to shift down, resulting in a very dead feel to the throttle.

I noted the quotes from Hyundai regarding Eco but have not noted any obvious changes to the engine as monitored with my ScanGauge. Those modifications may be more subtle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts