Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual really does not state the purpose of ECO mode other than how to turn the indicator light on or off. I have seen a few references in Sonata reviews that the transmission shift points are changed to a more agressive upshift mode. An owner here in a recent thread mentioned the sensation of more throttle pedal pressure. Playing around myself, I seem to notice that the steering power assist seems to reduce a bit more quickly as speed increases.

Does anyone have any more detailed information on ECO mode or is this just a psychological thing for us to drive more conservatively?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think that the light just means that you're driving in a conservative manner. My Kia Forte has the same thing. When I'm barely touching the gas pedal the light is on. Increase pressure and the light goes out. You'll get your best fuel mileage when the light is on.

·
1,914 Posts
Pretty much just to help you drive better to achieve the best mileage. I test drove a Tucson yesterday and I stayed in ECO mode 80% of the time and according to the trip computer, I average 27.1 mpg.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is strictly for information/entertainment purposes only. Lets you know when the engine is performing optimally for fuel consumption/MPG. It does not have any effect on shift points or control the engine in any way.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Wolf Howl @ Jun 6 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330384
You sure? I thought I heard the whine of a turbo spooling up when I turned that button off!! :wink2:
Really? Are you sure?

I thought it unlocked the other 4 cylinders. :3gears:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought my 011 Sonata...how do I turn the eco off...don't see a button or a switch anywhere nor do I see anything how to do it? :grin:

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (RickDroid @ Jun 19 2011, 09:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=463245
Just bought my 011 Sonata...how do I turn the eco off...don't see a button or a switch anywhere nor do I see anything how to do it? :grin:
Did you check your build date before you bought? I belive Sonatas built after Sept 2010 have the active eco button on the dash.
which probaly means your car has been sitting around somewhere for quite awhile. What model is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (wrs @ Jun 19 2011, 10:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=463314
Did you check your build date before you bought? I belive Sonatas built after Sept 2010 have the active eco button on the dash.
which probaly means your car has been sitting around somewhere for quite awhile. What model is it?
Yah, it was a dealer sales test drive car, got a super buy though...so if its not on the dash, where do I go to turn it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It must be doing something

Did you notice that while you can turn off the Eco mode while driving you cannot turn it on while driving? Perhaps a cylinder is turned on but cannot be turned off once running? Sadly not much detail provided in the manual...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think that the light just means that you're driving in a conservative manner. My Kia Forte has the same thing. When I'm barely touching the gas pedal the light is on. Increase pressure and the light goes out. You'll get your best fuel mileage when the light is on.
I think some clarification is due on this thread. I BELIEVE that 2011 and 2012 are different. With my 2012, it is the ACTIVE Eco mode in which case, once it is on, I believe the dash light stays lit ALL of the time (not sure about in manual mode though). I think that with the 2011 it would just notify you when you were driving conservatively but with the 2012 I believe it does alter shift points when you are easy on the throttle. If you punch it though it drives the same either with Eco on or off.

Now that I think of it, the change of ACTIVE eco for 2012 may be the reason that the city gas mileage rating is better for 2012. For highway it is the same, which makes sense as eco doesn't affect highway driving, mainly just with acceleration.

·
Banned
358 Posts
QUOTE (venetian-v @ Jun 7 2010, 11:21 AM)

Yep, and it's also off when you switch to the shiftronic mode. Oh well..
I checked mine this morning and when I moved the shifter to the shiftronic mode the light stayed on mine, also when I used the paddle shifters mine stayed on. I do have a 2012 model though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The thread that just won't die! ;)

At some point during the 2011 year, it switched from ECO to Active ECO. I've had no problem turning it on or off while driving.

I think some clarification is due on this thread. I BELIEVE that 2011 and 2012 are different. With my 2012, it is the ACTIVE Eco mode in which case, once it is on, I believe the dash light stays lit ALL of the time (not sure about in manual mode though). I think that with the 2011 it would just notify you when you were driving conservatively but with the 2012 I believe it does alter shift points when you are easy on the throttle. If you punch it though it drives the same either with Eco on or off.

Now that I think of it, the change of ACTIVE eco for 2012 may be the reason that the city gas mileage rating is better for 2012. For highway it is the same, which makes sense as eco doesn't affect highway driving, mainly just with acceleration.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I may just be justifying, but I sort of feel like maybe when I turn on ECO on my 2012 Sonata Limited, the acceleration is a little more sluggish which would make sense if the transmission was in a mode that was trying to prevent me from wasting gas by slamming down the accelerator.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I concur :) The button itself really dulls throttle response, it shifts at lower RPM's..., making sure you don't drive like an @$$ pretty much (unless your WOT). Not sure how it works with earlier models, but I know that there is a HUGE difference btwn Eco on and off in my 2012 SE 2.0t.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts