Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
a thought came to mind a couple weeks ago, and I'm planning on starting my investigation this weekend on this topic.

Assuming that the current ECU in our cars have two setups, ECO & non-ECO mode, I'll refer to them as such from here on in, and the 'ECO Button' basically turns this function on or off, one could reprogram the ECO mode to be on, when the button is off, and reprogram the ECO to do 'something else' when the button is triggered.

recently driving at highway speeds, I noticed when rolling @ ~100km/hr, if the rpm hits around 3.5k to 5k, the car really does move. very responsive, and very powerful. now, obviously this isnt the optimal driving RPM range you'd want for longevity of the powertrain.... but I was thinking, if the engine has that much power, you could essentially retune the ECU to get a boat load more power than we get at stock...

also, just so everyone knows. I drive with my ECO mode in the on position 99.9% of the time. so this is assuming that I want the ECO mode to be stock... also, this would take advantage of any CAI or SRI system or exhaust system you would put on the car.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know anyone who programs for the E's ECU and do they have a Dyno???
The programing and reporgramming seem to be the easy part, its the tuning that the difficult one since i need access to a dyno.

I'm sure lots of shops around can help with that after the hardware mods are done. I'm more curious to see if anyone here has experience with this and if what i'm thinking about is even possible to utilize the built in button.

I'm thinking gamerguy might have some insight too

·
Banned
998 Posts
It is not so easy, as power and torque are "exchangeable" and come with RPM. I mean at 1500 you will not get the torque and power of 2800 RPM. No matter how you program ECU you can't go beyond physics.

Now, in addition to the physics, even if it was possible, releasing the extra power will cost you in fuel. Power is not free...

If you have ScnaGauge or Android/iOS app that reads readbacks from OBD you could read power that the car produces at a certain moment. That is of course only some calculation that is a little off comparing to real life value, but it will show you what ranges of power you get at certain engine speeds.

Flip a switch? Maybe... but 1.8 engine is not going to bring so much to the table.

I drive 2.0 with stick.
Sometimes I wish it had more power from low end. No ECO buttons. My foot is the ECO and it can reach great numbers, as low as 5.5 L/100 km on my daily commute to work (13.5 km in about 15-17 minutes)... but when I need power I must pass 3000 RPM. Then it goes strong.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey plp.
Thee are all great points, but I winder if the premise would work though.
I'm not thinking to set the car up to race or anything, but it would be great to press a button and enjoy some spirited driving out of the car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
998 Posts
but it would be great to press a button and enjoy some spirited driving out of the car
so the eco is not like that?
or in this model you must toggle through settings to deactivate it?

in KIAs, at least a few I drove/sat in the ECO was simply a push button somewhere on the dash. Just like ESC.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the eco is not like that?
or in this model you must toggle through settings to deactivate it?

in KIAs, at least a few I drove/sat in the ECO was simply a push button somewhere on the dash. Just like ESC.
Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out.if instead of toggling between, stock, and Eco mode, I can toggle through custom and Eco mode instead with the same button. I'm actually surprised nobody else has done this before

·
22,793 Posts
...but it would be great to press a button and enjoy some spirited driving out of the car.
This sounds like me talking, only 30-40 years earlier. Where's that old nitrous kit I had in the garage. Oh, I remember now...at the bottom of a lake. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sounds like me talking, only 30-40 years earlier. Where's that old nitrous kit I had in the garage. Oh, I remember now...at the bottom of a lake. :laughing:
You must have at least enjoyed it for a day though before it sank though...

Just trying to live while I'm around Rich :D

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Ah, the "instant power" switch... the dream of every young man ever since the first horseless carriage rolled off the assembly line.

The early 1990s Nissans I used to sell had a SPORT-NORMAL-ECONOMY switch on the console. It helped sell cars, but other than that did absolutely nothing as far as anyone could tell.

I suppose there's a way to short-circuit the Elantra's transmission adaptive learning alogorithm, to go directly to performance mode with the flick of a switch. But you can bet Hyundai's made that mod as difficult as possible for the average do-it-yourselfer. Offering a ten-year powertrain warranty on a car that spends half its life at 5,000 rpm is not a good way to stay in business. :)

·
22,793 Posts
Don, you must have found a way to put your finger of the pulse of the Hyundai engineers' mental processes. Makes perfect sense to protect that liability on the 100,000 mile warranty. You can't make a fly go faster without modifying it's wings. At a cost of an even shorter life span to the fly.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't make a fly go faster without modifying it's wings. At a cost of an even shorter life span to the fly.
I do simplify most things I guess.... wishful thinking on my part! :D

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I do simplify most things I guess.... wishful thinking on my part! :D
Hey, without wishful thinking we'd all be driving horse-drawn carriages :57:

Actually it's surprising that car makers don't allow more user-programmable features, at least on NAV-equipped models where the LCD could easily serve as the interface. Imagine being able to change your own door lock logic, choose from 5 different transmission shift modes, set service reminders, etc. Maybe that would attract the younger generation away from their smart phones :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Don, you must have found a way to put your finger of the pulse of the Hyundai engineers' mental processes.
Probably a function of working with large corporations for many years. The bigger the bureaucracy, it seems, the more reasons they have for taking the fun out of everything ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the first step here is to download the current ECU map for my car and see if there are two settings.... I dont even know how to do that, so I'll be reading quite a bit tonight...

might need a dyno to do that.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Maybe that would attract the younger generation away from their smart phones
or maybe that would cause thousands of problems when all morons start to play with their cars.

see how many people have no clue about their cars - they only pour the gas and change oil (if at all).
see how many folks, even here, do not read owners manuals, which is the very first step (I mean reading) before entering menu to customize transmission shifts
imagine how many question would be here:

- oh [email protected]@, I changed something and the car is not smooth... what should I do now??
- did you read how to alter shift points?
- eee, aaa, ooo, uuu.... did I really have to? I did not have time...
- so now you are screwed

Maybe I am exaggerating, but I am sure that custom settings would create bunch of problem. Even switching ECO on/off is a big issue for some who did not care to read TFM.

·
22,793 Posts
^ +1,000! Reading the manual should be a requirement. How about this: take a general proficiency exam, pass with 70%, and get a $250 rebate from the OEM. Regarding requirements, just having the basic fundamental ability to read, write, and understand simple English, French, (whatever your preferred language is), should suffice. I'm not talking about a world comprised simply of rocket scientists, just moderately literate individuals. That's not asking for too much, is it?

And prying these kids away from their phones? If you figure out how to do that, Don, you'll quickly pass Bill Gates on the Fortune 400 list. I'm ranting... My apologies. :rant2:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I totally agree with you guys. these options shouldnt part of the standard offerings.
its total customization to even 'chip' your car, and not many understand the consequences of doing so...

theres a reason why they make it so difficult to do this...
or alternatively, you could spend $100k+ and buy a GT-R and change stuff on the fly and then you'll really pay for the consequences of messing with the ECU hahaha

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Maybe I am exaggerating, but I am sure that custom settings would create bunch of problem. Even switching ECO on/off is a big issue for some who did not care to read TFM.
The difference is that the custom settings would not be accessible from a simple button on the dashboard that any drooling moron could push. It would require one to RTFM in order to access them. And of course performance could only be altered within parameters set by the factory.

What inspires this idea is that my last Nissan - a 2004 Quest - had limited customization options that one could access with a little help from the owner's manual and/or Google. Various patterns of keyfob button-pushing and/or ignition key thrusting would modify the door lock logic and other functions. Harmless fun for one's inner hacker :)

·
22,793 Posts
It would require one to RTFM in order to access it.

What inspires this idea is that my last Nissan - a 2004 Quest - had limited customization options that one could access with a little help from the owner's manual and/or Google. Various patterns of keyfob button-pushing and/or ignition key thrusting would modify the door lock logic and other functions. Harmless fun for one's inner hacker :)
I like it being limited, but available. I especially like the RTFM reference. Lots of trips to the dealership could be avoided. Take the auto up function of the window for 30 seconds "after" you turn the ignition off. Bet there's a lot of folks that don't even know that feature is on their ride. But it's sure in the manual. Just quoting this 1 convenience as an example of the many features that go overlooked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts