Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my Hyundai dealer today for an oil change and they said that there was a recall out on the cars software. They plugged it into the machine to do an "update". All I can say is the car felt quite a bit peppier after. Anyone know what the recall is specifically about??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just pulled it here it is

Circulate To: Service Manager, Warranty Manager, Service Advisors, Technicians, Fleet Repair​
Technical Service Bulletin
GROUP
MODEL
CAMPAIGN
2012 ACCENT (RB)
DATE
NUMBER
OCTOBER, 2011
11-01-037
ECM UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN TH1)
Description: This bulletin provides information related to the ECM software update of some 2012MY ACCENT (RB) vehicles to revise the following ECM DTC(s) diagnostic logic:

1. [*]
    P0191: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
    [*]
    P061B: Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
  2.  P0456: Evaporative Emission System-Leak detected (very small leak)
  3.  P2188: DTC P2188 - Fuel System Too Rich - At Idle (Bank 1).
Applicable Vehicles:
  1. 2012 MY ACCENT (RB) with 1.6L GDI engine
(Vehicles produced From SOP~ to Sept.8.2011)
GDS ECM Update Event# Information:
EVENT #
DESCRIPTION
238 (or later compatible event)*
RB P0191 DTC LOGIC IMPROVEMENT
(* the latest event that shows up in the Engine Auto Mode event list for the particular vehicle/engine) Warranty Information:
Model
Op Code
Operation
Op Time
RB
10C080R1
ECM UPGRADE

SUBJECT:
Dealers must perform this Service Campaign on all affected vehicles whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair. When a vehicle arrives at the service department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.
 IMPORTANT
NOTE: Submit claim on Campaign Claim Entry Screen.
ECM UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN TH1) TSB #: 11-01-037 Page 2 of 4 SUBJECT:
ROM ID INFORMATION TABLE:
Verify the ECM ROM ID before updating the vehicle’s software. Refer to the table below.
Model
ECM P/N
T/M
ROM ID
Previous
New
ACCENT (RB)
39110-2BAD0
M/T
GGRB-ANU6ES00600 GGRB-ANU6ES01600 GGRB-ANU6ES02600 GGRB-ANU6ES03600
GGRB-ANU6ES04600
39110-2BAD5
A/T
GGRB-ANU6PS00C00 GGRB-ANU6PS01C00 GGRB-ANU6PS02C00 GGRB-ANU6PS03C00
GGRB-ANU6PS04C00
GENERAL PRECAUTIONS:
  1.  Connect the USB cable between the GDS and the VCI.
  2.  Connect the 16-pin DLC connector from the VCI into the DLC located under the driver’s side dash.

1.  Turn off all lights (Do not leave the headlight switch in auto mode) and all accessories (including heater/air conditioner/fan, audio, heated seats, rear defroster, etc) to ensure the battery will not be discharged during the update.

1.  Perform the update with the ignition key in the ON position.

1.  Do not disconnect any cables connected to the vehicle or the GDS during the update.

1.  Do not start the engine or turn the ignition switch OFF during the update.

Make sure the battery icon at the bottom right of the GDS laptop shows at least 50%; if not, charge the GDS or attach a battery charger.
 NOTE
ECM UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN TH1) TSB #: 11-01-037 Page 3 of 4
Confirm your GDS has the most recent version. If not, connect the GDS to an Internet port, open the GDS home page and select "Update". Refer to instructions on hmaservice.com if necessary.
 NOTE
If you encounter GDS related problems, call the GIT Helpline at 888-437-0308.
 NOTE
SERVICE PROCEDURE:
GDS AUTO MODE ECM UPDATE PROCEDURE
From the GDS home page, select ECU Upgrade. If necessary, select the VIN.
Select Engine as the system and then select OK.
Select Auto Mode and then select Next.
From the System tab, select Engine and then select OK. The GDS will read the ROM ID. Confirm the ROM is applicable as shown on Page 1, "ROM ID Information".
Select update event as listed on the GDS Event List of page-1. Select Upgrade.
If the screen indicates "Voltage is OK" (voltage > 12volts), select OK. If not, select CANCEL and charge the vehicle battery by running the engine for 10 minutes.
Updating will occur until 100% is reached on the bar graph. At the prompt, turn the ignition key OFF for 10 seconds, then turn it ON and select OK.

ECM UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN TH1)
TSB #: 11-01-037 Page 4 of 4 SUBJECT:
The GDS will confirm that ECM reprogramming is successfully finished. Select OK.
If the ECM update was not successful, go to GDS MANUAL MODE ECM UPDATE PROCEDURE.
Check for DTC in all systems and Erase All DTC that stored due to loss of CAN communication during the ECM Update.
Turn OFF ignition 10 seconds then turn ON before going to engine start.
Start the engine to confirm proper operation.
GDS MANUAL MODE ECM UPDATE PROCEDURE
From the GDS home page, select ECU Upgrade. If necessary, select the VIN.
Select Engine as the system and then select OK.
Select Manual Mode and then select Next.
From the System tab, select Engine and then select OK.
Select update event as per the GDS Event List of page-1, then select Upgrade.
Be certain to enter the exact appropriate password from the table below and select OK. See the important NOTE above.
The remaining steps are same as Steps 6~12 of the Auto Procedure.

1. GDS Manual Mode is intended for recovery of an ECM Update should it begin but then later fail in process in the Auto Mode.
  2. The ECM connectors must be disconnected for 15 minutes to reset its contents then perform this Manual Mode Update.
  3. Do not force Manual Mode if you get an error in Auto Mode that the vehicle’s current ROM ID did not apply.
  4. It is critical to identify the correct ECM Part Number in the PASSWORD table else the ECM may be permanently damaged. It is recommended to remove ECM and read it from the label if not sure which choice.
 NOTE
MENU
PASSWORD
RB 1.6 MT -IMMO : 39110-2BAD0
RB 1.6 AT -IMMO : 39110-2BAD5

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
My version is a bit more user friendly... :D

Who knows what other VOODOO is inside the program...

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
My version is a bit more user friendly... :D

Who knows what other VOODOO is inside the program...
Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Could anyone let me know in english what this TSB means, and what it is updating? I took delivery of my Accent before Sept. 8, so I know I will be getting the update at my first oil change, but it is not listed on hmaservice.com, and the attached PDF file in the thread does not really mean much to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
It is not a safety issue. Relates to the engine control computer - emissions and driveability. My dealer said it will take about an hour to do.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
IF your car was produced before Sept. 8, then it is.

The Technical Service Bulletin states the applicable cars are those produced from the Start of Production (SOP) to around September 8.

VIN check via WEBDCS will answer the question... had 3 that was shown on WEBDCS to have open campaign, all 3 came back ECU upgrade already done..

Hyundai does not know when/where the update started in production... just like the overlapping subframes in recall..

Toyota knows every last detail about their builds, all way down to last part on pallet To VIN "X" and new parts on next pallet to VIN "Y" and later.

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is a "passive" computer update- If your car is at the dealership for other service, they'll check to see if yr car needs it.

I stopped in, told them I knew about it; they checked the VIN and scheduled the "fix".

Call yr service
dept and ask.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received a call from my Hyundai dealer saying there was a recall on mine and I needed to call back and schedule an appointment. Probably the same recall as everyone else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Serviced mine yesterday. Just a diagnostic logic update (how the P-code is triggered) and no safety issue at all. At least that's what the tech told me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I called my dealer with my vin today and mine, sure enough, has to be done. I only have 2700mi on the car so I may just go when its time to do the oil.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts