Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the dealership today and mentioned that my steering was a bit softer than I'd like. They sent me to service and service mentioned an option in the ecm to declare your wheel size, this included a 14 inch and 16 inch option. Anyone know what the effects of these options have on steering performance. I'm currently rolling on the factory steel wheels, and was wondering if the 16 inch option is the "sport tuned steering" that is advertised in the se model. Anyone ever tried this or know what impact it has?

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is very intriguing. I have not tried it, but I have wondered!
It didn't make sense to me that Hyundai would make two physically different steering controls when nothing else about the two models is different in their suspension. 2013 and later GS models have drum brakes in the rear, but prior to that they were completely the same aside from wheels and tires but for this "sport steering" distinction. If there were any difference, I thought, it was mostly likely a tuning thing where the electrical assist gizmo had one setting for the GS and another for the SE. Only the setting would be different in that case, and changing it was just a matter of access. Apparently the dealer can access this.

The question I have is: does the SE steering tune increase the boost (because the tires of the SE are wider), or decrease it? If it increased the boost level, then that might not even be desirable to someone who prefers higher level steering effort. It appears from what the dealer service dept told you that the SE setting decreases the level of boost. Unless he was just saying there are two settings to try out and see which you prefer. It might be nice (for some of us) to turn it down even if we haven't yet changed out our GS tires for larger ones.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What do you mean by "soft" steering? Do you mean that it takes more revolutions to turn the wheel than what you are used to? Or that your current steering wheel has a lot of play in it before it starts to turn the wheel? I have read by others on here that there is a "sport" tuning option for the steering controls and I think that is what they mean by the 16" rim size. So go ahead and have them enable that option in the ECM and see how you like it. I actually rode on a 2013 accent with 14" steel wheelies and I didn't like how it took corners like my 16" 2012 SE takes them. It could be that I'm more used to my car, but there may be a measurable difference between the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me the steering feels like it's attached via rubber band, if you turn the wheel hard it seems to lag behind my motion ever so slightly and then catch up. This may have more to do with the 14 inch wheels and budget tires that are currently on the car though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is very intriguing. I have not tried it, but I have wondered!
It didn't make sense to me that Hyundai would make two physically different steering controls when nothing else about the two models is different in their suspension. 2013 and later GS models have drum brakes in the rear, but prior to that they were completely the same aside from wheels and tires but for this "sport steering" distinction. If there were any difference, I thought, it was mostly likely a tuning thing where the electrical assist gizmo had one setting for the GS and another for the SE. Only the setting would be different in that case, and changing it was just a matter of access. Apparently the dealer can access this.

The question I have is: does the SE steering tune increase the boost (because the tires of the SE are wider), or decrease it? If it increased the boost level, then that might not even be desirable to someone who prefers higher level steering effort. It appears from what the dealer service dept told you that the SE setting decreases the level of boost. Unless he was just saying there are two settings to try out and see which you prefer. It might be nice (for some of us) to turn it down even if we haven't yet changed out our GS tires for larger ones.
I believe he was simply telling me what options were available, not whether I would prefer the 16 inch option over the default. I was making an assumption when I suggested that this may be the ecm option that determines "sport tuned steering". I'd like to get a copy of the default ecm "mapping" for either model and try and figure out what changes were made to the se and what they do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a '13 SE and can tell you that I doubt reprogramming the ECM will give you that much of difference. If you're trying to get a hydraulic feel to the steering it's not going to happen. In reading reviews before I bought my car, some reviewers commented that the SE had a bit better steering than the GL/GLS models but you're still talking about a column-mounted electric unit.

My 2009 Mazda 3 had electric-hydraulic steering that was considerably sportier than the SE and IMO you'd be better off with new, grippier tires which would have a much greater effect than programming "sport-tuned steering" into the electronics...not worth what I'd expect they'd want at the dealership....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, most cars that have the push button adjustable steering modes ( including upper level Hyundais ) have noticeably firmed up steering when you activate the sport mode. I think with the Accent you're probably looking at going from 'vague' to 'slightly less vague' if they're able to modify the ECM settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts