Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I too had been experiencing some of those transmission issues mentioned in the other thread about downshifing problems. My Sonata seemed to be downshifting prematurely when coasting to a stop and I could feel quite a bit of engine braking because of it. Well, after a visit to my Hyundai dealership to see if it could be improved, they did two updates:

Update No. 184 - 09/10MY NFA FL2.4 SHIFT FEELING IMPROVEMENT - ECM
Update No. 185 - 09/10MY NFA FL2.4 SHIFT FEELING IMPROVEMENT - TCM

Yeah, I know they list 09/10 Model year... which caught me by surprise when I checked the updates at hmaservice.com (after they updated)... but oh well. I wonder if that's a typo or something. Anyways, so after the update I took her out for a few tests and noticed two things:

1) The early down shifting and engine breaking were still there.... BUT
2) It seems that I'm experiencing a little more "oomph" at lower RPMs now (increase in lower end torque?). The transmission feels a little more responsive even though the engine breaking is still there... but it's a very interesting feeling after having been used to the original programming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you feel more oomph at low rpm it prob has to do with ecm upgrade. to bad the transmission control module program upgrade didnt fix the downshift problems. did you notice the shifts coming at the same mph when slowing down or are the different now

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your car should downshift to help slow you down! It's a good thing! You don't use ANY gas to speak of when downshifting/slowing down - so what's the problem. Quit trying to hypermile - you annoy the rest of the world!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (akalucas @ May 8 2010, 04:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320813
if you feel more oomph at low rpm it prob has to do with ecm upgrade. to bad the transmission control module program upgrade didnt fix the downshift problems. did you notice the shifts coming at the same mph when slowing down or are the different now
No, they're about the same mph, except (and this one I think might be in my head) I think the one fron 40-35mph seems a little more pronounced now... but that was the one that annoyed me the most. Oh well.

QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 8 2010, 06:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320830
Your car should downshift to help slow you down! It's a good thing! You don't use ANY gas to speak of when downshifting/slowing down - so what's the problem. Quit trying to hypermile - you annoy the rest of the world!
Sure, it helps slow me down... and sure, it doesn't use any gas... but maybe I want to coast longer rather than experience engine braking and save even more gas. The rest of the world will just have to deal with it. :grin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ May 8 2010, 10:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320867
Sure, it helps slow me down... and sure, it doesn't use any gas... but maybe I want to coast longer rather than experience engine braking and save even more gas. The rest of the world will just have to deal with it. :grin:
You're just wasting more gas later when you alternator has to kick in more often when you're actually driving. The downshifting is also charging the alternator which is designed to only charge the battery when you're coasting or there is a low load on the engine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (osrk @ May 8 2010, 10:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320883
You're just wasting more gas later when you alternator has to kick in more often when you're actually driving. The downshifting is also charging the alternator which is designed to only charge the battery when you're coasting or there is a low load on the engine.
Interesting... so has Hyundai effectively killed hypermiling?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I noticed that the ECM and TCM updates they did on my '11 are listed as 09/10 model year... and after a few days it seems like my transmission acts the same exact way it did before the updates, so did they actually do updates on my car that wouldn't mean anything? I'm just confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.