Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
From what I've read, the heated steering wheel should be "doable" provided you had it on when you shut the car off. Not sure about the defroster. But no go on the heated seats. I've yet to find any 3rd party remote that'll do that with the Push to Start SFS 2013-current.

There's an explanation as to why on one of the vendors (the Canadian one, I can't recall off the top of my head). Something about it being a CANBUS or something signal and without the programming code or whatever, it can't be done.
Yeah, I figured as much. I was more lamenting the fact that it never occurred to Hyundai engineers they had everything in the vehicle already to make this possible... all it needed was someone with a bit of imagination and a few lines of code in the ECU software.

• OEM remote start
  • Temperature sensors
  • Computer controlled heated seats, steering, climate controls, and rear defroster.
If a remote start call is received, start the engine. If the temperature is below X, start the heater, defroster, heated seats etc. If the temperature is above Y, start the AC and seat ventilation. My friends 3 year old Jeep Cherokee does this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
$5/month is a reasonable price, IMO, for having 3+ months of subzero temps and having a nice warm car waiting for me for the drive home.

If I lived in a more amenable climate, I probably wouldn't want the feature.

I also pay monthly fees for SiriusXM, and Verizon FIOS cable and TV. Fortunately I'm the judge of what's ridiculous since it's my money.
If you own the car for a few years that's a free hundred bucks... And how was the install? Could the average Joe put it in? I'm sure it cost a few hundred for the remote start itself, then installation guessing 150$+ easy. Just saying I really think it's a rip off for viper.
I hear you on the cable bill and other stuff. Mine well over 200$ a month haha. Wifey likes the movie channels

·
2,253 Posts
Just installed remote start I got from eBay. Was 109$ at the time I purchased, now it's 129$. Only works with push to start. Think it was about 9 wires I had to install. Takes about 1 hour to do. Works with factory fob by pressing lock 3 times. Actually has a good distance. Highly recommended if you don't feel like paying that crazy yearly fee for blue link
care to elaborate on the exact wires to tap, and how? im interested.

·
2,253 Posts
better yet, take pic of the install sheet and post it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Haha great idea. Will do when I have time. No wire cutting involved. Need two or three yellow wire taps, and the rest are blue and red.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
iDatalink - Home
There you can find the original pdf version of this and other manuals. They make interesting products, I'll study their website to look what's interesting to me.

Enviado de meu SM-N920G usando Tapatalk
http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-HK3/ADS-AL(DL)-HK3-EN_20160902.pdf

For the HK3 model

The screenshots above look to be the LWB pages. The Sport is further to the back of the manual. They my be the same wiring though, I didn't compare line by line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You installed this with just wire taps? very interesting. It says that it is just a code alarm unit. I guess they customize the wiring and the instructions that make it worth the extra money. How much did you have to take the interior apart? Do you have any pics of what came in the box?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It's two modules that were attached to each other. Takes about 15 minutes to get appropriate interior panels off. Just makes sure you have plastic pry tools. And yeah wire taps made it a breeze.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You installed this with just wire taps? very interesting. It says that it is just a code alarm unit. I guess they customize the wiring and the instructions that make it worth the extra money. How much did you have to take the interior apart? Do you have any pics of what came in the box?
I've worked for Hyundai and many of the factory accessories, like mirrors with Homelink™ come with wire taps like these. Don't feel too bad.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire+taps&espv=2&biw=1570&bih=699&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=q8vBQvhOSrHZdM%3A%3BxCTYhfyOwcsg5M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftech.bareasschoppers.com%252Fresources%252Fthe-problem-with-wire-tap-connectors%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=q8vBQvhOSrHZdM%3A%2CxCTYhfyOwcsg5M%2C_&usg=__osRzLyvFvruScO9ZWf1H20iJ6NM=&ved=0ahUKEwjCt96SjJ3QAhUN02MKHf9aAz0QyjcIKg&ei=GNUjWMLLKI2mjwP_tY3oAw#imgrc=q8vBQvhOSrHZdM:

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
care to elaborate on the exact wires to tap, and how? im interested.
Fortin has kits like this for the Nissan Sentra and some Hyundai models.

For their simplest kits, there is a T-harness that goes to their module and plugs between two ignition switch connectors and two CAN-BUS wires that you have to tap into, and it starts with 3 clicks of the lock button on the factory fob.

$5/month is a reasonable price, IMO, for having 3+ months of subzero temps and having a nice warm car waiting for me for the drive home.
If I lived in a more amenable climate, I probably wouldn't want the feature.
Yep - depends where you are. Personally, it would be nice to have it leaving home in the morning - but it is warm enough when I leave work to drive home. If I worked where I was near the parking lot or could quickly go outside and back in, the cel phone feature (which is what the monthly fee covers) is not needed. If the car is in a parking garage a block away - it is useful.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Was unable to find any installer that would touch the OP's "Code Alarm" remote starter, including Best Buy. BB said they used to sell the product in their stores and install them, but had too many instances where the unit would not program. After taking my time and properly installing it, the unit would not program, even with following directions to the letter. Checking their website, they have turned off the support forum and it is now restricted to only 12volt installer professionals. I'll try calling the phone number they supplied, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time waiting for support.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the unit would not program, even with following directions to the letter.
Update: After resetting the device the third time and again following the instructions for programming it, the unit did finally program. It does seem to work fine. Needless to say I'm relieved and looking forward to using it a lot this winter. It's hard to tell why it initially failed to program, but must have been human programmer error (me).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I had a helluva time with programming mine also when i got it... Was starting to remove all my wiring to return the unit, and when I reached up to remove the canbus wires from behind the push start button I realized I didn't fully plug it in when I made those connections. Needless to say when I reconnected everything and programmed it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to add to this.. there are 2 very attractive options that I've come across. Both are around $150 CAD (prob $100 USD). Both are about 10 wires on push-start vehicles (or you can spend another $75ish CAD for a t-harness and make either of them nearly plug-and-play). Both are also single units - meaning just a single box if all you want is 3x unlock to start using OEM fob.

iDataStart HCX
Fortin EVO-ONE

They need to be programmed as they're universal, but sellers seem to offer that cheap/free. The Fortin is geared more to end-users/DIYers so they have more resources and support for regular people. iDataStart is geared towards installers, so getting support might be more difficult. That being said, I got the iDataStart as it was easier to find locally, and the seller programmed it, so here's hoping it just works once installed. I'm going to try and take a lot of pics and videos and post back when done.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts