Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk up to car today n see my LED light bulb laying on the inside of my headlight housing. Broke off n fell to farthest corner. A wire n some double sided tape got it out luckily. So just letting anyone that bought these cheap lights to take them out or they my break off inside. Could be a real pain to take out whole headlight to remove them if u can't fish them out. You get what u pay for!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
yikes. of course I see this post AFTER I just bought some! and I literally just installed them 10 minutes ago!

argh! hope mine don't fall off like that

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have been using led drl for a while now. I had some like the ones you have but mine were to purplish for me. I switched to a different kind. The only problem I have is that they are designed to run from 10 to 12 and 10 to 24 Volts and the circuit chips have a problem with the lower than 10 volts. Every 6 to 10 months I have to replace one. The only temporary fix if they stop working is un plug and rotate the plug. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1384393767.379834.jpg
They have a little weight to them, but have held up for me. But with what happened to you I am considering a small dab of super glue to reinforce mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
oh ya it sucks when these cheapo things go bad
I had this a few weeks ago

·
Registered
746 Posts
I started with the 68 SMD bulbs. They started to flicker since they didn't like the low volts. They never broke and I am on low pro tires and springs. Then again I go the same way every day and avoid roads with bad bumps. The 68s were to purplish. Went to Cree and they were bright enough to get people to flash high beams at me, one died and I put in a lower cost non Cree that is 6 watts and the Cree one is 7 watts. Now it looks like one white and the other white/blue. Contemplating replacing the headlight assemblies altogether, just waiting for prices to drop a little.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
746 Posts
Which cree LED did you use. I seem to can't find the model for the headlight.
This is the link to the same ones I had but different seller and different watts listed or maybe I got my numbers wrong on what mine were. Either way they are the same and listed for the same price. 2X 50W Bright White H7 CREE LED Fog Daytime Light Lamp Bulb Headlight DRL | eBay

I had a problem with those lights, I pre checked for the positive and ground terminals and plugged them in right. After a while one would shut off and I would have to revers the connection to get it to work, then the other one would do the same thing after a while. That went on for 3 months until the right side one died and I bench tested it and it was deader than a door nail. The photo in my other post is of the new ones I bought that are less than half the cost and I got 4 so when one goes I will just replace it same one. The High Beams run 12 volts on High and the DRL step the voltage down, I do not know the sonata specifics but most cars step down to 6 volts, There is the crux of the problem, Majority if not all after market LED H7 bulbs have a minimum 8-10 volt requirement and going under will shorten the life of the bulb management chip. Spending $40 for a pair or more can be a hit or miss on whether they will last. My last set are $12 a pair and will let yall know if they work better.

·
Registered
920 Posts
This is the link to the same ones I had but different seller and different watts listed or maybe I got my numbers wrong on what mine were. Either way they are the same and listed for the same price. 2X 50W Bright White H7 CREE LED Fog Daytime Light Lamp Bulb Headlight DRL | eBay

I had a problem with those lights, I pre checked for the positive and ground terminals and plugged them in right. After a while one would shut off and I would have to revers the connection to get it to work, then the other one would do the same thing after a while. That went on for 3 months until the right side one died and I bench tested it and it was deader than a door nail. The photo in my other post is of the new ones I bought that are less than half the cost and I got 4 so when one goes I will just replace it same one. The High Beams run 12 volts on High and the DRL step the voltage down, I do not know the sonata specifics but most cars step down to 6 volts, There is the crux of the problem, Majority if not all after market LED H7 bulbs have a minimum 8-10 volt requirement and going under will shorten the life of the bulb management chip. Spending $40 for a pair or more can be a hit or miss on whether they will last. My last set are $12 a pair and will let yall know if they work better.
Thanks. I'm going to do some research and see what's your take on these new bulbs you got. I wonder if the cree would work longer for me being that my car is driven maybe once or twice a week. If its more than twice its usually just to move it to another side of the street. Street cleaning here in NY.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to do some research and see what's your take on these new bulbs you got. I wonder if the cree would work longer for me being that my car is driven maybe once or twice a week. If its more than twice its usually just to move it to another side of the street. Street cleaning here in NY.
Mine is a daily, I just plan any side trips so that I won't drive more than needed. Mine is over 2 1/2 and only 26,000, Most driving is daytime. The one thing about the cree bulbs I noticed was that when I manually turn them on they light up quick and within a half second the go brighter like HID when they first turn on, That is where the management chip takes its beating. For occasional trips I see them being able to last longer but would still recommend having two pairs. I will let you know what happens with the lower cost ones as soon as something goes wrong.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Great to hear. I will look forward to it. For me its a 2011 bought with 27k and since I bought it (Feb '13) I only have put 2800 miles on it. And must of the driving done is on weekends and average about 55 to 70 miles a trip. So I can see bulbs lasting me a while. But would love to have a pair where they will last even if I dont drive often you know. Kinda like set it forget it lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts