Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought a beautiful 2013 Elantra limited and soon after the CPS went out. Nbd. Bought a new one from Rockauto and soon after, leas then 25 miles. Another check engine light and the car ia running poorly withe the tachometer sometimes working. Anyone? Anyone? Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anybody know what is on the crank the the sensor reads. Magnet or magnetic paint mark? And can this be seen with the cps out?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
The trigger is teeth. They are non-magnetic. The sensor is the magnet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty for your info Grcauto..found the info on the net. But do have this issue resolved. Wiggling the wires was no help. But unplugging the sensor and tightening the female connection did the trick!!!!, back probed the connector with a voltmeter the issue went away

·
Registered
9 Posts
The trigger is teeth. They are non-magnetic. The sensor is the magnet.
Actually, the sensor is Hall effect sensor. When you put voltage across the wire it creates a magnetic filed. When a metal containing iron passes through the magnetic field it disrupts the field. Sensors like the CPS have 3 wires. Two wires are used to create the magnetic field and the 3rd wire is the sensing wire.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,597 Posts
Actually, the sensor is Hall effect sensor.
Actually, it's not.

LaurasMD said:
Sensors like the CPS have 3 wires.
A Hall Effect sensor would have 3 wires. The crank sensor is a variable reluctance sensor, and it only has 2.

Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, it's not.

A Hall Effect sensor would have 3 wires. The crank sensor is a variable reluctance sensor, and it only has 2.

Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way.
Thanks! I come from the bimmer world. My daughter has the Elantra.
If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts