Hyundai Forums banner

Easy Break-in Followed By A Somewhat Hard Break-in Questions About Mpg?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tarbasd 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm trying to break in a new GS. I followed the manual's rules for a proper break-in after i got the car home from the dealership for the first 450 miles or so (not going above 55-60 MPH, for the most part). However, with the last 50 miles, i've kind of tried the harder break-in method (going around 60-65 mph on the freeway, sometimes 70, pushing the throttle just a bit more to 3000 rpm once in awhile and varying my RPM speed alot more.

I've noticed though on my scanguage, before, when i was following the easy break-in i was getting pretty good standard MPG (29 city and highway combined.) Now, after i've driven it somewhat harder my MPG avg, atleast according to the scanguage is really bad. I've gone back to babying it and averaged today city & highway around 11 MPG. Anybody know where i possibly screwed up?

#4 ·
Have you checked against your trip odometer / gallons filled to see how far the SG is off?  Could it possibly be just out of whack calibration-wise?  If it's off,I would try to reset the SG and make sure all of your engine settings/etc are correct.

#5 ·
QUOTE (pjoduo @ Oct 10 2010, 05:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362484
You should not have really screwed anything up, try resetting your ecu (remove the neagtive cable for like 10 mins).

QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Oct 10 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362517
Have you checked against your trip odometer / gallons filled to see how far the SG is off?  Could it possibly be just out of whack calibration-wise?  If it's off,I would try to reset the SG and make sure all of your engine settings/etc are correct.

Thanks everybody. I hope that's just it. i'll remove the SG cable and reset everything. As for the harder break-in do you think it'll make a difference in my fuel economy in the long run if i keep breaking it in that way? I understand it isnt an exact science but after having read around it seems like the most important thing to do during a break-in is to just vary your speeds and rpms. I'll probably do the 55-60-65 thing on the freeway. Trying to drive below or around 55mph for another 700 miles or so is rough lol

#7 ·
QUOTE (strawberrywine @ Oct 11 2010, 12:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362539
Thanks everybody. I hope that's just it. i'll remove the SG cable and reset everything. As for the harder break-in do you think it'll make a difference in my fuel economy in the long run if i keep breaking it in that way? I understand it isnt an exact science but after having read around it seems like the most important thing to do during a break-in is to just vary your speeds and rpms. I'll probably do the 55-60-65 thing on the freeway. Trying to drive below or around 55mph for another 700 miles or so is rough lol
Many people don't even break in their cars. I think you should be fine with the occasional 65 mph.

#8 ·
QUOTE (pjoduo @ Oct 11 2010, 01:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362587
That will work =), just don't be too hard on it, lug it, or keep at the same rpm too long.

I would also recommend getting the first oil change done quickly (before 3k miles).

QUOTE (tarbasd @ Oct 11 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362691
Many people don't even break in their cars. I think you should be fine with the occasional 65 mph.

Thanks for all the replies. I did reset the scan guage and took it for a test drive on the freeway and it's back to reading what it normally did.

Yeah i think the max i'll do on the freeway from now on till i hit the magic "1200" miles is 65 mph. It's probably really important to just vary speeds that's why they say not to use cruise (if you've got it) till after the break-in.

Lastly, i bought an auto (yeah not very exciting i know haha), so i think it would be nearly impossible to lug the engine, right? Please let me know if i'm wrong. Also, lugging is driving at a slow speed in a higher gear right?

#10 ·
QUOTE (strawberrywine @ Oct 11 2010, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362742
Lastly, i bought an auto (yeah not very exciting i know haha), so i think it would be nearly impossible to lug the engine, right? Please let me know if i'm wrong. Also, lugging is driving at a slow speed in a higher gear right?
Actually the opposite on this car lol... all the auto does is lug the heck out of the engine. It's a terrible transmission shifting computer programming on Hyundai's part for this car.

#11 ·
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Oct 11 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362811
Actually the opposite on this car lol... all the auto does is lug the heck out of the engine. It's a terrible transmission shifting computer programming on Hyundai's part for this car.
So maybe it isn't actually lugging what the transmission does. I'm pretty sure it isn't jerking like a manual in high gear. After that, it is hard to tell, but I'm sure that Hyundai engineers know what they are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.