Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Did a search on this and didn't come up with any hits on this topic, but how easy is it to replace a Fuel Pump on a 2003 Hyundai Accent? And general price of self repair vs. dealership/mechanic?

Reason I ask is that I took it to my local Hyundai service department and they quoted my $472 to fix/replace the fuel pump that has failed. Yet when I look on AutoZone's website they're selling (or at least, what they are describing as) a fuel pump, for $80. Now, I don't completely trust AutoZone, as when I went to replace my fuel filter, they said it was under the car near the Gas Tank, not under the rear seat like it actually is. But $80 is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than $472. Am I fooling myself? Is $472 for a professional to replace the fuel pump a reasonable price? I'm not the best in knowledge with cars, so if I do decide to replace it myself, would I just be making more work and causing more problems? It seems relatively easy, but then again, I could be SUPREMELY wrong on that front. Anyway, just trying to save my hard earned cash before I dump a bunch of money into this 7 year old car.

Thanks in advance for the help!

~JYH

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money.. got a part number as part of the estimate ?

I would not be able to verify till Monday, but filter is a canister just inside the access panel under rear seat,,,, looking at Hyundai site, it appears they may be selling you an assembled drop in pump module, pretty much drop in and play..

Figure maybe 1 hr shop labor or there about, so that would eat up maybe $100, leaving some $370 somewhere..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 27 2010, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352407
Sounds like a lot of money.. got a part number as part of the estimate ?

I would not be able to verify till Monday, but filter is a canister just inside the access panel under rear seat,,,, looking at Hyundai site, it appears they may be selling you an assembled drop in pump module, pretty much drop in and play..

Figure maybe 1 hr shop labor or there about, so that would eat up maybe $100, leaving some $370 somewhere..

I called them back and they said the part number was 3111025510. As for the filter, it was easy peasy, just plug and play like you said. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I'm pretty sure though that the fuel pump is located in the same place, behind a bolted down O ring. I just don't want to damage anything or spend a lot of money for the wrong part (or get screwed by a nickel and diming dealer's service department). Anyway, thanks for the help!

~JYH

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't get a generic pump, for the most part, they won't be a drop-in fit but will be an in-line pump so you'll need to do a bit of modification work to mount the pump someplace and then fit some lines to it.

I'd get one that's guaranteed to be form, fit, and function identical (there should be a lot of aftermarket suppliers that have this), then it's relatively easy to install as long as the bolts/screws aren't seized with rust. If that whole area on the top of the tank is in good shape, you should be able to easily change it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any suggestions of Aftermarket brands to look for? Or Online Suppliers to buy from? How can I tell if it is a form fit or not?

But the top of the tank is virtually pristine. A bit of dust, but all the screws in the O-ring were a shiny silver, so if that's all that hinders removal, it should be cake to pull out.

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (JYHASH @ Aug 28 2010, 12:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352560
Do you have any suggestions of Aftermarket brands to look for? Or Online Suppliers to buy from? How can I tell if it is a form fit or not?

But the top of the tank is virtually pristine. A bit of dust, but all the screws in the O-ring were a shiny silver, so if that's all that hinders removal, it should be cake to pull out.
Here's some good information on your repair.

There are quite a few distributors that supply many different pumps, including generic. When looking at a pump, make sure it's advertised as OE (original equipment) replacement. You can call the supplier on their toll-free number and ask them if all the pieces & instructions come with the unit for a clean bolt-in.

Here's an example where a supplier has quite a number of different OE Replacement pumps & you can see the differences in price from the basic cheap no-name, to the pricier branded products.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
According to MICROCAT< the 31110-25510 comes up as a complete fuel pump module, just a quick swap.. we even have 1 on the shelf.. thats funny..

Retail is $258 + change, so how much more they doing for the $472 estimate ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only other thing I think they could be doing is draining the fuel tank. Remember though, they have to profit somewhere. They could have anywhere from a 20% - 60% profit margin on parts and labor. That's whee the other $140 could be coming from.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (JYHASH @ Aug 30 2010, 11:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352973
The only other thing I think they could be doing is draining the fuel tank. Remember though, they have to profit somewhere. They could have anywhere from a 20% - 60% profit margin on parts and labor. That's whee the other $140 could be coming from.

There aint no draining the fuel tank to replace that there fuel pumpp assembly, it comes out the top..

·
Registered
8 Posts
bumping this old thread. I may need to replace the fuel pump on our 2002 accent. Is it really this easy? Just remove the old one and put the new one in? I've changed the fuel filter a few times so I know where the pump assembly is.

Also, where is the fuel pressure regulator on this car? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if you can do the filter, you can do the pump. its dead easy. just be sure to match everything up carefully as you swap the pump to avoid mistakes. tag your hoses so you know what goes where. oh and don't drop crap into the tank while the pump is out :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts