Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one has an E-ZPass mounted on their window in their Santa Fe's and if they had any issues? (per the guidebook - behind the rearview mirrror)

History
I live in Toronto and have an ETR 407 transponder. There have been times when the toll is not registered and I would get hit with a VIDEO TOLL CHARGE (they take a picture of the plates when you enter/exit).

I had a number of problems and the CSR told me that they have had some issues with my vehicle. She then made a special adjustment to my account to ensure that the VTC would not be charged to me. I stated I would only use that transponder in my vehicle and plate.

E-ZPass
I emailed today PA Turnpike authority this very question - and will wait to hear from them.

Meanwhile at the Peace Bridge authority (where I will submit my application), I read this:

<blockquote>All passenger vehicles will be issued interior windshield tags. However, if your vehicle(s) has the following specially coated windshield glass, it will need an exterior tag mounted on the license plate: Heated, Solar Ray, Heated Reflective, Sun Gate, Metal Oxide, Insta-Clear, or Solar Control. These types of windshields contain metal in the glass, which prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly in the lane. Customers requiring an exterior license plate mounted tag should mark an "E" in the Tag Type box on the application. Interior E-ZPass tags mounted on the windshield are compatible with almost all other vehicles. If you don't have a windshield requiring an exterior license plate mounted tag, please mark "I" in the Tag Type box. </blockquote>
I don't want an external version for theft reasons, but also based on the 407 issues, wonder if the Santa Fe's front windshield would be an issue.

Note: I have a factory installed windshield with no options and no after market coatings added.

Any comments would be appreciated - esp those that do use and have it mounted without any problems.

belly

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2008 and have NJ EZPass....drive within NJ....travel to PA frequently....and up and down I-95 and have never had any issue.....

However, my transponder is behind my rear view mirror....it is sligthly to the LEFT (closer to driver) of the mirror and it is BELOW that black mesh looking thing.......don't put it over the mesh thing....

The only time that i have had a problem (in our other vehicle) in is when my transponder just went bad after about 4 years......replaced it and haven't had a problem since.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
2008 Limited with ezpass (NH) next to rear-view mirror, and it's never failed to activate at a toll.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
There are a number of vehicles being made whose thermal reflective windshield glass blocks the transponder -- and any GPS signals, too, which is how they were initially being noted by users. Here are the ones I've seen listed, and no Hyundai I've seen has ever appeared in one of these lists:

• Audi: all models from 2001 onwards
    • BMW: 7 series models E38, E65/66
    • Jaguar: X-type
    • Volkswagen Passat: all models from 2002 onwards

·
Registered
2 Posts
i h ave a 2010 Santa Fe and a EZ-Pass. I have it mounted "behind the mirror" but not in the shadow of the sunscreen material at the top of the windshield. It works fine on the Maine Turnpike.

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
335 Posts
As long as we are on the subject of E-Z pass I thought I would share this to those that didn't know.

Here in Illinois we have the I-Pass. It can be used anywhere E-Zpass is accepted.

If you’re an E-ZPass holder, you too can use the Chicago Skyway as well as the Illinois Tollway System.

*I-PASS is not accepted at airport parking lots and other non-roadway facilities that accept E-ZPass.

Check with your provider to see where else they are accepted and it should make your trip more enjoyable.

(OK, I don't know how paying tolls can be enjoyable but you get the idea.)

Bruce

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have one transponder I take from car to car on the 407.. never had an issue in the Santa Fe... I have only ever had an issue when the battery has started to die... have them send you another one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have mine mounted in the shaded area of the sun screen. I hate to see these in the windshield when looking at the front of the vehicle and the sunscreen hides it nicely. I have never had a problem with any state identifying the transponder and I have used EZPass in PA,OH,VA,MD and NC. Have it mounted in the shaded area on my other two vehicles also without a problem. BTW I love EZPass. :grin:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And now Janice, please show everyone what is the next item up for bid ...
So I have secured the E-ZPass and have put it behind the windshield - to the right slightly. The ETR 407 is same place but to the left - so they are essentially side by side. The tapes were different configs otherwise I might have used only one and put the other away.

Traveling to the US and will be using the ETR partly then once I cross into the US, the E-ZPass will be used in NY and on the PA Turnpike. In theory I would prefer to keep both on the windshield - out of sight out of mind - won't get lost and ready when I come back.

That said - because both systems are essentially the same - I am "guessing" if I left BOTH on the glass, ONE will register and the other will not. But by doing so, both will have their batteries drained each time a bit (seeing as they are "called for info"). Once I am back in Ontario, I will put the E-ZPass away.

Q: Does anyone have both and have there been any problems leaving both up at the same time?

I believe the devices are made in Canada [hence the US/CAN Patents on the E-ZPASS] - and on the Peace Bridge stated both are using the same system but as they don't have any agreements you need a separate transponder. Stupid. I should be able to register the one in Ontario under E-ZPASS and they should just give me an account.

Cheers!
belly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts