Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, kinda a stupid question here. To those that have the navigation package installed, can it play DVDs? Most other units can but I have not heard/read of that when it comes to the Sonata unit. Just curious :thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
QUOTE (TheMoose @ May 22 2010, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325444
Hello, kinda a stupid question here. To those that have the navigation package installed, can it play DVDs? Most other units can but I have not heard/read of that when it comes to the Sonata unit. Just curious :thumbsup:
I think its illegal in most states to have video infront of the driver. I have had aftermarket nav systems in my previous cars and had to always hack them to make that feature work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (wacktool @ May 23 2010, 11:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325544
I think its illegal in most states to have video infront of the driver. I have had aftermarket nav systems in my previous cars and had to always hack them to make that feature work.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know it's illegal in some states but for the most part it's illegal to watch DVDs while the car is in motion. That's why the DVD playback feature usually works only while in park/ebrake applied. Not that I want to watch DVDs while driving, just want to know from current owners if the unit can actually play DVDs. I have not been able to find a PDF manual that goes over the navigation features. I guess I'll find out soon enough as I'm taking another test drive and will bring a dvd along.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the limited with nav in Canada and that gets us the Dimension system. I just tried putting a DVD in for you and I get a Disc Error message so ... no DVD playback on that system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (gq_neo @ May 23 2010, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325607
I have the limited with nav in Canada and that gets us the Dimension system. I just tried putting a DVD in for you and I get a Disc Error message so ... no DVD playback on that system.

Thank you sir! Wow, that sucks. I mean, they go through the trouble of installing a navigation unit with lots of features but no dvd playback? Hyundai, or whoever, is supposed to add the "HD Radio" ability down the line so hopefully they will also add dvd capability. Now, I'm assuming the US version, which is Infinity, operates the same. Not a huge deal but it's nice to be able to watch a dvd while the old lady goes shopping.

·
Registered
533 Posts
With the Infinity system in the limited, there is no DVD player at all, just a single slot CD/MP3 player. Not sure you know this or not but this Navigation system is not DVD based at all. I would call it hard drive based or at least flash memory driven.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I realize that but how much much money was saved using only a CD player not a DVD.

I wonder if there will be a way to utilize the ipod / iphone connection to play video on the screen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (gq_neo @ May 24 2010, 08:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325739
I realize that but how much much money was saved using only a CD player not a DVD.
That's what really bugs me about the whole thing. I know it's not as simple as just throwing a DVD player in that now DVD menus have to be created but as I said before, it's more than half way there!!!

If I'm not mistaken, the new Altima also uses a hard drive based navigation unit (when equipped) but it still has DVD playback ability. Oh well, what the **** is one gonna do:/

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (TheMoose @ May 23 2010, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325623
Thank you sir! Wow, that sucks. I mean, they go through the trouble of installing a navigation unit with lots of features but no dvd playback? Hyundai, or whoever, is supposed to add the "HD Radio" ability down the line so hopefully they will also add dvd capability. Now, I'm assuming the US version, which is Infinity, operates the same. Not a huge deal but it's nice to be able to watch a dvd while the old lady goes shopping.
just as an FYI, the US nav system is made by Dimension, not Infinity

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had an Acura that had 5.1 Surround Sound and played DVD-A discs-- but it would NOT display video; nevertheless the sound was great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think the resolution on these screens would be good enough to play a DVD in decent quality anyway. Playing a DVD would be a nice feature but I think your best bet would be to get a portable DVD player with a 12v car adapter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts