Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the manual but could find nothing-What is the little round circle-recessed cap (that you can press down on with your finger as if releasing it?) on the lower left side of back bumper. Also-how do I identify the" trailer prep package" on my SE? I called the salesman that sold me the santa fe and he could not answer. I could call the service dept. but I seem to get quicker and better answers here! Thanks, Tedrik

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's for a tow hook to screw into, I believe. Hook should be included per manual eith glove box or maybe with tire tool stuff.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (tedrik @ May 13 2010, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322506
Also-how do I identify the" trailer prep package" on my SE?
Here is what I need you to do.... under the rear of the vehicle, on the driver side..... I need you to crawl underneath, and look at the vertical sheetmetal panel between the rear of the wheel opening towards the rear bumper.. you should spy (2) pigtails coming out of the panel through a rubber plug, and then the (2) connectors will be clipped to the panel

You will either have the rubber plug and wires (ready),,,, or a rubber plug all by itself (not ready)....

The wire kit that comes in the Hyundai is a plug-n-play unit.... for some unknown reason, Hyundai does not sell kit with box for those not equipped with OE wiring (box runs long wire to battery for power to drive the box)..

I had to do 1 of the installs with the plug-in box, and cut it up and adapt it to the non-ready chassis for same pay...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (MajBach @ May 13 2010, 12:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322535
Methinks you are referring to the opening for the wiring harness for trailers.
Page 3-20 in owner manual says it is for the tow hook.... screws into bumper...

Can tell you, pop the cap, it'll never fit right or fit when re-install.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 13 2010, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322536
Page 3-20 in owner manual says it is for the tow hook.... screws into bumper...

Can tell you, pop the cap, it'll never fit right or fit when re-install.
page 3-20 of 2010 sante fe manual refers to seatbelts. I looked at pages referring to towing and found nothing about that small cover. However, your explanation makes sense and I thankyou for your help-love this forum So many helpful santa fe owners! Tedrik

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 13 2010, 11:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322534
Here is what I need you to do.... under the rear of the vehicle, on the driver side..... I need you to crawl underneath, and look at the vertical sheetmetal panel between the rear of the wheel opening towards the rear bumper.. you should spy (2) pigtails coming out of the panel through a rubber plug, and then the (2) connectors will be clipped to the panel

You will either have the rubber plug and wires (ready),,,, or a rubber plug all by itself (not ready)....

The wire kit that comes in the Hyundai is a plug-n-play unit.... for some unknown reason, Hyundai does not sell kit with box for those not equipped with OE wiring (box runs long wire to battery for power to drive the box)..

I had to do 1 of the installs with the plug-in box, and cut it up and adapt it to the non-ready chassis for same pay...
I'll check it out-sounds like your correct and thanks for you help!! Tedrik

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your help!! One less curiousity to address. This is a great forum with many helpful members! Tedrik

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (tedrik @ May 13 2010, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322552
Thanks everyone for your help!! One less curiousity to address. This is a great forum with many helpful members! Tedrik

Soooooooo,, what did you with your inspection ?

You going to love how you install the new style box and reated wiring... :whistling:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (tedrik @ May 13 2010, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322506
Also-how do I identify the" trailer prep package" on my SE?
In addition to the plug 'n play wiring identified above (which my dealer did not use when installing my hitch for some reason), you should also have a transmission cooler. It looks like a little radiator standing in front of the big one, with small metal tubes connected to the transmission.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 13 2010, 02:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322580
Soooooooo,, what did you with your inspection ?

You going to love how you install the new style box and reated wiring... :whistling:
Had to build up the courage today to crawl under (I'm 64 years old and not as flexible!) Actually it was pretty easy crawling under-what I remember seeing was a long squarish metal tube/funnel? leading to the back of the bumper cap and also 2 black wired plugs which I guess is the towing prep pkg?...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
So you do have a wire harness coming out the rubber body plug and ends with (2) connectors attached to body.. 1 is square with 4 wires,,,,,, if I recall, the other rectangle, has a large red and large black wire going into connector..

That is wired to accept the trailer kit readily,,,, that is the easy one to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP - The little round plug that you're never supposed to touch, magically unpopped itself on my "new to me" used 2010 Santa Fe Limited. I pushed it back in...went thru the car wash and now it's gone. Now I have a hole in the back of my pretty new Santa Fe. I looked on Hyundai Parts...and it shows it...but it does not highlight, like I can order it. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
No need to rush. It's not going to hurt anything if it's missing. I assume we ARE talking about the little circle that covers the spot where the tow loop is to be inserted in the driver's side of the rear bumper? How did you happen to have it off to begin with. Curiosity? Or just loose?

·
22,788 Posts
Just to my own curiosity, the tow hook cover just pops out? Pops back in? I probably read about it in the OM, but for the life of me I can't remember.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes. Have had one occasion to use it on an '08. You just pop the cap off with a fingernail and thread in the tow 'eyebolt' (that's what it is, actually) into the receiver behind the cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts