Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started changing my own oil and have always wondered why the bolts that hold the dust shield have "8" imprinted on them, but I need to use a 10mm socket.

I know I know...Sorry if this is the dumbest question you've ever seen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, it's grading (actually tensile strength). If you look around at various bolts you'll see a variety of marks...numbers and hashes mostly unless you get into special stuff. They are different for SAE vs metric. If you are familiar with the grades, it can give you an idea of the torque they can handle and sometimes higher graded fasteners tell you that you should be applying more torque, but this is not always true and always best to look up the specs for the part. Never know when some fasteners may have been substituted during a supplier delay or by an owner or mechanic. If you google "bolt head markings" and check out the images tab you can see the variety. It would be great if bolts were marked with size and thread pitch...tool size you just learn to recognize that with experience. At least until someone throws in a 13mm head. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts