Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have done the swap to the xg350 dual piston caliper? I just got the parts and so far it’s been really easy. advance will get my single piston cores without any problems but it cost me 85 dollar core each caliper.
I will update once everything it’s in place.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Stock rotors? no point. Piston count equate to bragging rights and not much more. Fixed vs floating is something where more is needed.

Kia Optima had the 320mm rotors when the YF Sonata was stuck with 300mm rotors. I believe some of the LF models got the bigger rotors. Best upgrade is the leverage, swept surface area, mass... from the larger rotors. If rotors have been upsized, then coat the dual-piston calipers with some pretty caliper paint and show them off.

Pick some good pads to go with your new calipers.

Post some pictures of the swap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stock rotors? no point. Piston count equate to bragging rights and not much more. Fixed vs floating is something where more is needed.

Kia Optima had the 320mm rotors when the YF Sonata was stuck with 300mm rotors. I believe some of the LF models got the bigger rotors. Best upgrade is the leverage, swept surface area, mass... from the larger rotors. If rotors have been upsized, then coat the dual-piston calipers with some pretty caliper paint and show them off.

Pick some good pads to go with your new calipers.

Post some pictures of the swap.
There’s no way I’ll do incomplete work. I got the optima sx rotors. I just haven’t sat down to fit everything in. the salesperson kept looking at me like what is this guy asking for while I was giving him the parts specifications
List of parts.
05 xg350 calipers. paid $67+85 on core
Ceramic platinum pads $50
14 optima SX 320mm rotors $35
I got lower than retail price with my mechanics commercial account

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
What caliper brackets are you going to use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What caliper brackets are you going to use?
XG350. I bought the complete caliper with bracket.
Am I missing something? I know about them going opposite as well, but am I missing something else to buy. I have everything to bleed the system after I’m done, not my first caliper swap work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be dong the XG350 swap fairly soon as well.

Brought this forum/thread back from the dead for reference.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016081...bohkforums.com/t4229-bbk-brake-upgrade-thread

It will bolt right up, the only difference is you have to mount the right side on the left and the left side on the right due to the bleeder location.
Yes I mention been opposite, there’s plenty of complete calipers out there, online ebay theres a few free of core fees, but I rather buy from the store. anything breaks I have a place to return right away.
Good luck. I’m decidind on what color to paint the calipers my car it’s silver and I was planning on red.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes I mention been opposite, there’s plenty of complete calipers out there, online ebay theres a few free of core fees, but I rather buy from the store. anything breaks I have a place to return right away.
Good luck. I’m decidind on what color to paint the calipers my car it’s silver and I was planning on red.
Any opinions?
Red's classic.

FWIW, did this upgrade a little over two years ago. No regrets - better stopping power. (Used slotted rotors and Hawk pads.)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I'll be dong the XG350 swap fairly soon as well.

Brought this forum/thread back from the dead for reference.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016081...bohkforums.com/t4229-bbk-brake-upgrade-thread

It will bolt right up, the only difference is you have to mount the right side on the left and the left side on the right due to the bleeder location.
I remember that thread. Does anyone know for sure if the calipers will clear 17 inch wheels or must one go to 18 inch wheels if doing this mod?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did a XG dual caliper swap on my 2004 Turbo Elantra the rotors are 12" so is the smaller size but it was straight forward never had an issue, the car runs 17" with full size spare

1 - 11 of 11 Posts