Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know only a couple people have put on an aftermarket exhaust, but i got a quote from Lux motorwerks (the same company that did that white sonata for the SEMA show) and they gave me the estimate of anywhere from 800-1200 depending on the set up and materials.

i dont really know a lot in this area so i was wondering if anybody has any knowledge on what is or is not a good set up and what i ultimately should be looking for.

im not trying to make this car super fast or anything like that, just something that looks and sounds good that wont hurt the pocket too much.

any knowledge is very appreciated

thank you!
Jamie :liebe011:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Nov 10 2010, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370650
i know only a couple people have put on an aftermarket exhaust, but i got a quote from Lux motorwerks (the same company that did that white sonata for the SEMA show) and they gave me the estimate of anywhere from 800-1200 depending on the set up and materials.

i dont really know a lot in this area so i was wondering if anybody has any knowledge on what is or is not a good set up and what i ultimately should be looking for.

im not trying to make this car super fast or anything like that, just something that looks and sounds good that wont hurt the pocket too much.

any knowledge is very appreciated

thank you!
Jamie :liebe011:
How much would a dual exhaust from a SE cost? That should be a direct drop in. I would assume you only need the muffler and tips.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 10 2010, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370663
How much would a dual exhaust from a SE cost? That should be a direct drop in. I would assume you only need the muffler and tips.
i would assume so. i wouldnt take my word though im not really educated in this area ha

if you want on the website they have a page where you can ask them for a direct quote

http://www.luxmotorwerks.com/contact

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got my magnaflows with 3" piping for $600 installed.

I have seen 7ism exhausts for $1250+ install, but I personally think that magnaflow is a great company to go with. However when I got mine, nothing else was available.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 10 2010, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370678

I have seen 7ism exhausts for $1250+ install, but I personally think that magnaflow is a great company to go with. However when I got mine, nothing else was available.
i think the quote they gave me was for a custom exhaust that they would make in house.

they said it really depends on the materials and things i decide on.

like aluminized piping as opposed to stainless and that sort of thing.

i just dont know what the differences between that is

·
Registered
623 Posts
Guessing aluminum would be lighter weight. Granted, cleaning out your trunk or going on a diet would save just as much weight. :thumbsup:

Granted I guess it depends on priorities.
Absolute speed vs looks and sound. Strip your radio, AC, spare tire, etc and you'll be the fastest 2.4 or 2.0T around.
However this is a midsize sedan, not a sports car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 10 2010, 09:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370678

I was wondering where did u get them from im looking online and cant find it for the 11 sonatas.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (akim911 @ Nov 10 2010, 07:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370692
I was wondering where did u get them from im looking online and cant find it for the 11 sonatas.
Any reputable exhaust shop should be able to install them. It's a custom job. Magnaflow has universal applications. It's just a matter of cutting the bumper (if it's not an SE) and installing the dual mufflers. You can go with the standard pipes or make them wider. Totally up to you as it's a custom job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 10 2010, 10:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370691
Guessing aluminum would be lighter weight. Granted, cleaning out your trunk or going on a diet would save just as much weight. :thumbsup:

Granted I guess it depends on priorities.
Absolute speed vs looks and sound. Strip your radio, AC, spare tire, etc and you'll be the fastest 2.4 or 2.0T around.
However this is a midsize sedan, not a sports car.
well i dont think going on a diet would help im like 130 soaking wet haha :whistling:

im definitely not looking for this to be a race car by any means, it would purely for cosmetic reasons, just to look and sound nice.

and from what ive read on the internet aluminized is cheaper and lighter but will need to be replaced quicker than a stainless steel system which apparently is very long lasting and resistant to rust and weathering.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Nov 10 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370697
well i dont think going on a diet would help im like 130 soaking wet haha :whistling:

im definitely not looking for this to be a race car by any means, it would purely for cosmetic reasons, just to look and sound nice.

and from what ive read on the internet aluminized is cheaper and lighter but will need to be replaced quicker than a stainless steel system which apparently is very long lasting and resistant to rust and weathering.
There you go.

Honestly I think Lux is riding the SEMA wave. I'm not doubting they do an amazing job, but I'm guessing there are plenty of muffler shops around that can get you what you're looking for with less money out of pocket.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 10 2010, 10:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370701
There you go.

Honestly I think Lux is riding the SEMA wave. I'm not doubting they do an amazing job, but I'm guessing there are plenty of muffler shops around that can get you what you're looking for with less money out of pocket.
to be honest ive been searching for muffler shops around me and all thats here are little mom and pop shops, at least with lux i know that they have worked on a sonata before and know whats required in it, even if it is a bit pricey.

but i do agree with what you said on riding the SEMA wave.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Nov 10 2010, 08:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370705
to be honest ive been searching for muffler shops around me and all thats here are little mom and pop shops, at least with lux i know that they have worked on a sonata before and know whats required in it, even if it is a bit pricey.

but i do agree with what you said on riding the SEMA wave.
Then go for it.

The place I went never saw a YF before. Did the switch when the car had been out for less than a month. A muffler is a muffler is a muffler.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 11 2010, 12:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370719
Then go for it.

The place I went never saw a YF before. Did the switch when the car had been out for less than a month. A muffler is a muffler is a muffler.
yea i still get people who dont know what it is, they are becoming more popular though.

thanks so much for your help too

·
Registered
854 Posts
Putting a muffler on any car is not that technical, you can pay lux the 1250 or you can shop around your pop and mom places and they'll do just as good of a job. Look for a local automotive forum that is in your area ask around for a custom exhaust shop.

All they are doing is cutting pipe, welding it, and hanging it in the right place. If you were to buy 2 universal exhaust from somewhere online you will save even more money. I had a a custom universal exhaust fitted on my civic 10 years ago from a local place with custom piping all the way to the header and it didn't cost more than a $100. Being a civic didn't make it $100, it's honestly just welding a pipe and hanging a piece of metal on your car for the exhaust to hang from.

Educate yourself a little more, this is a good first step, don't blow your money on paying somebody to do a job that any exhaust shop can do. Just because they worked on the sonata, doesn't mean they know any better than your local mom and pop exhaust shop, you'd be surprised, some of these shops probably have the fastest's cars in your town!

If you're not concerned about performance and just looks I would save the $600 for something else.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 12 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371202
Putting a muffler on any car is not that technical, you can pay lux the 1250 or you can shop around your pop and mom places and they'll do just as good of a job. Look for a local automotive forum that is in your area ask around for a custom exhaust shop.

All they are doing is cutting pipe, welding it, and hanging it in the right place. If you were to buy 2 universal exhaust from somewhere online you will save even more money. I had a a custom universal exhaust fitted on my civic 10 years ago from a local place with custom piping all the way to the header and it didn't cost more than a $100. Being a civic didn't make it $100, it's honestly just welding a pipe and hanging a piece of metal on your car for the exhaust to hang from.

Educate yourself a little more, this is a good first step, don't blow your money on paying somebody to do a job that any exhaust shop can do. Just because they worked on the sonata, doesn't mean they know any better than your local mom and pop exhaust shop, you'd be surprised, some of these shops probably have the fastest's cars in your town!

If you're not concerned about performance and just looks I would save the $600 for something else.
i guess your right, this is all part of my research, trying to find out the best ways to go and that sort of thing, especially talking to people who actually know what they are talking about unlike myself.

im going to call magnaflow sometime this week and see what places they recommend in my area if there is any.

i do appreciate everyones input though, it does help my decision very much :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Nov 13 2010, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371288
i guess your right, this is all part of my research, trying to find out the best ways to go and that sort of thing, especially talking to people who actually know what they are talking about unlike myself.

im going to call magnaflow sometime this week and see what places they recommend in my area if there is any.

i do appreciate everyones input though, it does help my decision very much :thumbsup:

some of the most beautiful work I have seen done on any car hasnt been a shiny paint job or a set of bling wheels but the clean welding of an experienced exhaust welder. i absolutely agree that finding a local shop to do something custom is an excellent option. I have a Sebring spiral-flow (very agressive but not fart/ricey) muffler here I have been waiting to use on a car for a long time. Im just going to do a single exit as my own opinion is a dual setup on a 4cyl car is a bit much to put it kindly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Nov 12 2010, 11:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371292
my own opinion is a dual setup on a 4cyl car is a bit much to put it kindly.
Yeah...

Guessing Acura, Audi, Buick, Honda, Hyundai, Lotus, Mini, Nissan, Mazda, VW, among others disagree.

My opinion is that if you are not hiding the exhaust, then it should be a dual or center exit. Simple symmetry in design. However, it's always great to see new and unique mods on our cars, so go for it and be the first.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Nov 14 2010, 06:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371495
Yeah...

Guessing Acura, Audi, Buick, Honda, Hyundai, Lotus, Mini, Nissan, Mazda, VW, among others disagree.

My opinion is that if you are not hiding the exhaust, then it should be a dual or center exit. Simple symmetry in design. However, it's always great to see new and unique mods on our cars, so go for it and be the first.
It's all just for looks though, all these companies add the dual exhaust on the 4 cyl car purely for looks, (most likely americans complaining and making em do it!) there are no performance benefits for having a dual exhaust on a 4 cyl car, if anything it probably makes it slower because you are splitting the exhaust fumes and making it a longer process to get rid of fumes.

I'm all for looks though :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Nov 13 2010, 01:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371294
This is key, the less English they speak, the better the job will be.
Funny enough the place I got my exhaust done many years ago had no english speaking people. All I had to do was hand over the exhaust point and say 2 inch pipe! lol. Done in 30 mins!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts