Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Ioniq has been running for a few years now has anyone found trouble with the dual clutch. After VW problems with their dry clutch I wonder if the Hyundai version is less problematic and what is the life expectancy of the clutch plates.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As the Ioniq has been running for a few years now has anyone found trouble with the dual clutch. After VW problems with their dry clutch I wonder if the Hyundai version is less problematic and what is the life expectancy of the clutch plates.
From what I've found, the Hyundai version is reliable but.... The big issue is that many people expect and even want it to work like a normal automatic transmission; they don't want to "relearn how to drive." So you'll see plenty of complaints about how the DCT operates, that it can be slow from a stop (because you have to ease the power, just like a manual transmission with a clutch, so it doesn't slip), doesn't work properly in stop and go traffic, etc.

Also, from my understanding of how the DCT works in the Ioniq, it works better in the Hybrid than in the conventional gas car. The reason being (from an article I read that I can't find now) is that the Ioniq (and all Sonata hybrids) starts from a stop using the electric motor. Since the electric motor doesn't need to idle, like a gas engine, the clutch can be engaged to the electric motor while stopped; so when you start the clutch is already engaged, it doesn't need to slowly engage the clutch as you start moving. This results in more fluid starts (no jerkiness when the clutch tries to engage) and less wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for your reply. Its just that there are warnings in the manual about resting the transmission when overheating the transmission messages are shown, particularly when pulling away on a hill or in stop go traffic. I questioned this point with Hyundai and were told the clutch was used to pull away and was not fully engaged as you suggest. So I wondered how well the computer would control this considering the varying conditions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
. Its just that there are warnings in the manual about resting the transmission when overheating the transmission messages are shown, particularly when pulling away on a hill or in stop go traffic.
We have taken ours out to Laughlin, NV this last weekend in the middle of the day at 104 degrees. Ran great, averaged 55.9 for the entire trip and had no issues running through the mountains, in fact it ran better over the mountains than our Elantra GT did!

I did see those warnings as well, after our little drive I just don't think about them now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After driving a Prius for 13 years, the Ioniq DCT is a blessing. It really doesn't feel any different than a normal automatic, to me. The "rubber band" CVT in the Prius just bugged the sh_t out of me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the 1.6T KONA and love it.
When decelerating good engine braking unlike an auto
From a dead stop its great.
Slow crawl/accel slight hesitation.
its quicker accel from a dead stop than a slow crawl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forgot to mention my KONA is AWD, i noticed during initial acceleration , some power is diverted to rear wheels.
Might be why DCT in this spec peforms better, 6.4 secs to 100 KPH some say...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts