Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you guys seen this on the Hyundai website?
The Veloster can be had with the Dual clutch trans with paddle shifters, sweet! I wish it would be like that on all Hyundai vehicles by 2015.
"Typically found on high-end cars, the sophisticated 6-speed EcoShift Dual Clutch Transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters incorporates the latest technology while delivering smooth and efficient power. You also have the option of a peppy 6-speed manual transmission that's fun to drive and puts you in total control at all times."
Not available on the Turbo Veloster though, weird!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The Veloster can be had with the Dual clutch trans with paddle shifters, sweet! I wish it would be like that on all Hyundai vehicles by 2015.
"Typically found on high-end cars, the sophisticated 6-speed EcoShift Dual Clutch Transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters incorporates the latest technology while delivering smooth and efficient power. You also have the option of a peppy 6-speed manual transmission that's fun to drive and puts you in total control at all times."

I picked one up for a local dealer. I didn't know it was a dual clutch until I read the sticker below the shift lever. If it is reliable it should yield excellent fuel mileage. These are also known as auto manual transmissions and Ford has had them since 2011 with mixed results.

Time will tell if they catch on. My personal opinion is that the multi-speed automatics like the Genesis eight speed and even higher numbers of gears may ultimately be the best solution, however. But the dual-clutch would be worth the risk as it will be under warranty. The manufacturers are always looking to maximize their fuel economy. This is one way.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel economy gained by a dual clutch doesn't matter to me much, what I love about a DCT is the speed at which gears change, plus I love paddle shifters, perfect combo IMO. 8 speeds might be too much though, 7 is the limit to me, what's next? 10 speed trans! when will it end? the new Jeep Cherokee has a 9 speed trans already, seems excessive.

·
Banned
435 Posts
AMT (DCT) is not about fuel economy; it's about performance. You get the benefits of computer-controlled shift program(s), lightning quick up/down shifts, and ready implementation of manual/sport shifting modes using paddles or shift lever gate. Downsides are mechanical complexity, losses due to driving both clutches even though only one is in use, and problems with low-speed creep and waiting at lights. I'm not familiar with Ford's experience, but BMW, Porsche, and other high-performance brands have mostly replaced standard manuals with automatic ones (to wailing and gnashing of teeth by "purists")

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about Ford's DCT in the Focus and they screwed it up since the manual is faster 0-60, go figure, a DCT is supposed to be faster than any other trans type.
I hope the Hyundai's trans will be great, I e-mailed Hyundai to ask them if they expect it to be available in the 2015 SFS, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the reply I got from Hyundai: "Excitement is building for the our 2015 vehicle models, however, the release date and specifications for the 2015 Santa Fe Sport have not yet been announced. We encourage you to visit our website at http://www.HyundaiUSA.com/shopping-tools/email-updates.aspx, where you can sign-up to receive updates"
Wait and see is what they basically said.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Well in typical Hyundai marketing fashion they kind of play on words about ""Typically found on high-end cars" - like the VW CC and Ford Focus SVT , Fiat ?

but as one poster points out it is being used in some higher Euro models and a number of other automakers besides Hyundai - some developing in house and others relying on independent designs.

here is a link to what C& D thought of Benz's DSG version in their new AWD CLA250

Mercedes-Benz CLA-class Reviews - Mercedes-Benz CLA-class Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

And the CLA is using a 2.0T turbo which does 0 to 60 in a mere 4.2 sec and a top speed of 158 mph.

they also have a comment about what Mercedes and Ford have done to get better on center steering feel in electronic systems.

Not sure how many makers are using the DSG boxes in SUV/CUV vehicles. Porsche just came out the macan that I noticed does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts