Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of switching out the silver bezels with the black ones in the sport that I'll get from a scrap yard (I see them in accidents very often in my city) which made me think of adding the dual climate control. I know there has been guys who have added the cruise control to steering wheel with a simple plug in adapter anyone know if the dual climate control would be that simple also?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
R-134a would have to be recovered, evaporator box replaced with the dual one along with the ducting, and the climate control panel. Not sure about the cabling. Entire dash has to be removed first.

System should be flushed, deep vacuum drawn and the correct amount of PAG injected, these systems are extremely sensitive to moisture. Moisture with PAG forms an acid that can eat away your system from the inside and also produces a sludge. R-12 never had this problem.

Unibodies are throwaway and no match for SUV's or pickups so expecting to see a lot of "preowned" parts on the web.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Not worth the hassle. The entire system is completely different.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Ha, before I got tied down with a family and a bunch of kids was doing a ton of automotive related stuff that could be defined as, "not worth the effort". Kept me out of trouble. sure beat watching TV and getting a beer gut, and learned a lot in the process.

Just one suggestion, if this is your only vehicle, get a second one, or you may find yourself walking. Sure didn't quit after having ten kids, had to keep their vehicles running as well. Last kid left exactly one year ago, now I can play with my own stuff.

Thanks to Al Gore, had to get myself 608/609 EPA certified so I could purchase a can of refrigerant for HVAC and MVAC.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noted lol... Will the black bezels still fit? They look like the same size but not sure of exact measurements and can't find it online.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
So-called dual AC has been around for a long time now, first vehicle, 2017 Limited that has it, wondered if it was really required, few times, wife enjoyed having warm air blowing on her while I had cool air, but only during our short summer months.

This time of year on long trips, find it most comfortable just to use the floor vents, like our home, set it at 70*F or even cooler since we are wearing winter clothes. Its rare for us to have rear seat passengers, just once, picking up and dropping our daughter at the twin cities airport. Since she was traveling over night, tossed in a pillow and a blanket for her, she also has electrically heated seats. Another nice option.

Bit nebulous on the AC warranty says, "Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year/unlimited miles" but says nothing about if the compressor seizes, law says they have to use R-134a, but are questions about warranty if you modify this system.

Back in 1994 when R-12 was banned overnight, EPA insisted on changing the service ports to the quick coupler type, just so they are different than the R-12 type, but still can use your R-12 manifold gauges with adapters, instead of replacing a 50 cent Scharder valve, have to replace the entire line, some are as high as 500 bucks! They also tend to leak a lot more than R-12.

88 Supra is already 30 years old, only had to add 2 ounces of R-12 to it that uses R-12, EPA claims with R-134a, can expect 10% losses per year, can you OE guys do better? Also with zero proof, R-12, a CFC refrigerant was causing depletion of the ozone layer at the Antarctic. Just saying the reason the charge on the Hyundai AC system is only good for one year.

Sound like a broken record on this subject, cheapest and most convenient way to get these options is with the vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts