Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Veracruz 3.8 engine. Engine clatters when it's started after a 2-3hr + cool down period. Replaced timing chain, guides, tensioners and gears. I use factory Hyundai oil filter and 5w-30 full synthetic oil. Clatters until oil light goes out(3-5sec.) then no noise after that. If you stop the engine for short periods (say to run into a market), no noise on start-up. Any ideas anyone????

·
Registered
271 Posts
could also be your oil pick-up screen partially cloged with something. i would 1st try adding a bottle of rislone engine treatment to the Oil & see if it changes anything.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No its cause the oil filter is on top of motor .Oil drains after a few hours always did that from day 1.
Spoke with local Kia tech and he suggested that use ONLY factory filter and O ring. Set filter in place and with new O ring (change EVERY time ) installed on plastic stalk that goes inside the filter. MAKE SURE the O ring is seated into the hole at bottom of filter mount. He said you can tap it VERY LIGHTLY to ensure il seats into the hole. Replace cap and start engine. Did all this and BINGO problem solved for now. Pete 69 you are correct, 5w-20 full synthetic oil is the correct sauce for this engine. I personally use Valvoline in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Have any first hand evidence as why not to use the stuff?
Just because the filter is on the top of the engine, that's no reason for the oil to drain down. Have the setup on one of my other cars and never experienced the oil drain back problem. Ever hear of an anti drain back valve?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have any first hand evidence as why not to use the stuff?
Just because the filter is on the top of the engine, that's no reason for the oil to drain down. Have the setup on one of my other cars and never experienced the oil drain back problem. Ever hear of an anti drain back valve?
Look guys, I just stated what the tech told me. It worked for my application, may not work for everyone. I have no "first hand evidence" not to use the "stuff" plus I never said NOT to use it. I was hoping this forum would be helpful to everyone getting info on how to make our vehicles better but I now see that it's just for people to judge others by. Yes, I have heard of oil drain back valve. I guess my 36 years of auto repair experience plus being certified GM and Honda factory tech must mean nothing here Guess I was wrong about this forum. MY BAD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spoke with local Kia tech and he suggested that use ONLY factory filter and O ring. Set filter in place and with new O ring (change EVERY time ) installed on plastic stalk that goes inside the filter. MAKE SURE the O ring is seated into the hole at bottom of filter mount. He said you can tap it VERY LIGHTLY to ensure il seats into the hole. Replace cap and start engine. Did all this and BINGO problem solved for now. Pete 69 you are correct, 5w-20 full synthetic oil is the correct sauce for this engine. I personally use Valvoline in all my vehicles.
Is problem still solved? Got same issue started about 60,000 miles ago and no one seems to have a fix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts