Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 3 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368730
Not sure if my car is really that much faster or what but it felt reallly slooooow! I was hoping for more with 274hp Other then that its a very nice car and I lived tehe paddle shifters :)
Well, turbos are not known for off the line power, need to spin up to get going. V6 will beat any I4 w/turbo off the line. At about what RPM did you notice the turbo kicking in? Maybe the waste gate is set to open too soon, to save engine from over-boost. Did it boost seem to give out quickly? What RPM did you notice loss of boost?

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Nov 3 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368733
Well, turbos are not known for off the line power, need to spin up to get going. V6 will beat any I4 w/turbo off the line. At about what RPM did you notice the turbo kicking in? Maybe the waste gate is set to open too soon, to save engine from over-boost. Did it boost seem to give out quickly? What RPM did you notice loss of boost?
It started going around 5k. still was not impressed tho. I beat the crap out of it and still did seem to go anywhere. Luckly I had a cool sales person :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 3 2010, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368754
It started going around 5k. still was not impressed tho. I beat the crap out of it and still did seem to go anywhere. Luckly I had a cool sales person :)
Wow, that is really high, that's past the torque peak isn't it? Seems counter-intuitive and counter-productive to me. I wouldn't be impressed either if it took that long for the turbo to kick in. My Saab kicked in around 3-4 K in first gear and kicked in at progressively lower RPMs as the gears increased.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Nov 3 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368757
Wow, that is really high, that's past the torque peak isn't it? Seems counter-intuitive and counter-productive to me. I wouldn't be impressed either if it took that long for the turbo to kick in. My Saab kicked in around 3-4 K in first gear and kicked in at progressively lower RPMs as the gears increased.
thats what it seemed like I could be wrong. I coulnt tell a difference in power before that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like someone justifying staying with their 06 v6 :D

I came from a mazdaspeed 3 to a 2.4 sonata and am now awaiting delivery on my 2.0t so I am familiar with the load based tuning Hyundai used. It will not be a rocket off the line due to compression ratio it has and the fact that the turbo needs to spool. That said it is a very strong pull ... Keep in mind this in not MEANT to be a race car turbo setup. It's a fuel efficient replacement for a v6.

Compared to my co workers v6 altima ... The sonata 2.0t feels like more power.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Nov 3 2010, 05:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368779
Sounds like someone justifying staying with their 06 v6 :D

I came from a mazdaspeed 3 to a 2.4 sonata and am now awaiting delivery on my 2.0t so I am familiar with the load based tuning Hyundai used. It will not be a rocket off the line due to compression ratio it has and the fact that the turbo needs to spool. That said it is a very strong pull ... Keep in mind this in not MEANT to be a race car turbo setup. It's a fuel efficient replacement for a v6.

Compared to my co workers v6 altima ... The sonata 2.0t feels like more power.
lol

·
Registered
550 Posts
This car's acceleration is turning into an enigma. First Hyundai prevents "pedal overlap," which prevents the car from popping off the line. As RiceR mentioned, Hyundai purposely limited power in the first three gears to control torque steer. It's no wonder the car is a leisurely 2.8 seconds to 30 mph. Yet despite that slow start, it is still 6.6 seconds to 60 mph and more importantly has a trap speed of almost 98 mph. Clearly the car has very good power once it starts to move.

Perhaps the most interesting statement was that the engine produces another 10 hp on 93 octane fuel. I don't know how much quicker that extra 10 hp might make the car, but it clearly shows that Hyundai is holding this engine back just a little to say it can run on 87 octane. Does that mean the engine always pings just a little on 87 octane thereby telling the computer to re-tard the timing? It seems the only way the engine would "know" the car has 93 octane gas in it is by the absence of ANY pinging. Without that pinging, the computer would keep the timing advanced to its most optimal setting, thereby eking out that extra 10 hp.

What's more important? Is it being able to say the car is 6.5 seconds to 60 mph as opposed to 6.6 seconds or being able to say it can run on 87 octane? If someone drives 15,000 miles per year, averages 26 mpg and premium fuel costs 25 cents more than regular fuel, the premium fuel would cost an extra $144 per year. Is that 1/10th of second to 60 mph worth $144/year or $12/month? Probably not. It's just very interesting how Hyundai decided to play this game. I wonder who'll be the first to override that electronic power limiter for the first three gears.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Nov 3 2010, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368850
This car's acceleration is turning into an enigma. First Hyundai prevents "pedal overlap," which prevents the car from popping off the line. As RiceR mentioned, Hyundai purposely limited power in the first three gears to control torque steer. It's no wonder the car is a leisurely 2.8 seconds to 30 mph. Yet despite that slow start, it is still 6.6 seconds to 60 mph and more importantly has a trap speed of almost 98 mph. Clearly the car has very good power once it starts to move.

Perhaps the most interesting statement was that the engine produces another 10 hp on 93 octane fuel. I don't know how much quicker that extra 10 hp might make the car, but it clearly shows that Hyundai is holding this engine back just a little to say it can run on 87 octane. Does that mean the engine always pings just a little on 87 octane thereby telling the computer to re-tard the timing? It seems the only way the engine would "know" the car has 93 octane gas in it is by the absence of ANY pinging. Without that pinging, the computer would keep the timing advanced to its most optimal setting, thereby eking out that extra 10 hp.

What's more important? Is it being able to say the car is 6.5 seconds to 60 mph as opposed to 6.6 seconds or being able to say it can run on 87 octane? If someone drives 15,000 miles per year, averages 26 mpg and premium fuel costs 25 cents more than regular fuel, the premium fuel would cost an extra $144 per year. Is that 1/10th of second to 60 mph worth $144/year or $12/month? Probably not. It's just very interesting how Hyundai decided to play this game. I wonder who'll be the first to override that electronic power limiter for the first three gears.

I took it to 100mph and it still dint impress me. JUst m2c

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I am very surprised that a car that is not n/a at 270 hp only hits 6.6 to 60
The other car that I can think of that is similar to this would be the mazda 6 speed? I am sure it could better than that, but maybe I am wrong.

Ok, dumb question, what kind of turbo is it? I think i read twin scroll?
Someone educate me and tell me what is the difference b.t this and twin turbos.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 3 2010, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368754
....kicks in at 5k? wow,,,thats lag with a capital l
I didn't know they were in the lots now
I will test drive one soon
:)
thanks for the post

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (hmr1979 @ Nov 4 2010, 12:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368859
I am very surprised that a car that is not n/a at 270 hp only hits 6.6 to 60
The other car that I can think of that is similar to this would be the mazda 6 speed? I am sure it could better than that, but maybe I am wrong.

Ok, dumb question, what kind of turbo is it? I think i read twin scroll?
Someone educate me and tell me what is the difference b.t this and twin turbos.
very simply put, twin scroll is 1 turbo that acts as twin turbo, but doesnt have the raw-ness of twin turbo but more economical.

and ms6 is out of its competition, thats a AWD 6speed manual torque monster sports sedan

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The problem is with the transmission and the ecu... those two cap the potential of the engine. Hyundai doesn't use sporty short gears, they used longer more fuel efficient gears... not to mention the ecu is capped to not redline, torque limited, etc... partly to ensure their warranty will not be used as much...

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ Nov 4 2010, 12:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368856
I took it to 100mph and it still dint impress me. JUst m2c
Got it up to 120 coming off a long on ramp in 4th. Impressed the **** out of me and the salesman (it was his first drive in a 2.0t) being a 4 door sedan that can achieve 34mpg highway. Its not meant to be a Subaru which powers on at 3700-4000 and throws you in your seat. Power is linear and there is virtually no lag, turbo kicks in at 2700-3000 RPM's. Tapers off around 5700-5900 but thats due to the size. Off the line performance is always questionable in a FWD Sedan and like other said that is mainly in part due to traction control and the torque-steer corrections the transmission makes. Car and Driver got a 6.2 0-60 out of it so there is a wide band of numbers in that figure. Tune is most definitely conservative given the MPG rating. A Re-flash for those who want more power would be the quick and easy solution to net more power without adding any parts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 274 HP is only rated at the "Fly Wheel" not at the wheels of the car. If you look at the insideline test they used 91 Octane gas and received only 234 HP (from what I remember from the article, using 4th gear) at the wheels.

The way this Sonata is set up, you should only expect to feel more power when using it to pass cars on the highway or merging on to the high way. Those situations where the car is already moving and you require more power. As others have mentioned they are trying to reduce torque steer in the lower gears.

It would be interesting to see what this engine could put out at the wheels when tweeked to work in a rear-wheel drive car with a larger turbo set up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts