Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice on a problem. when I have the light settings to auto the drls turn on by itself when the car is parked, and i was afraid the drain would be bad for the battery. I have brought this to my local dealers attention, but after they ran test the lights were found to be OK? So what do I do now? Any help for thiss matter will be appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its very random, only happens when parked and off, and I cant blame the dealer for having a problem diagnosing the problem, it only happens once a week :shrug:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Crazy shop manual circuit shows the DRL's in parallel with the low beams, we know this is not correct as the DRL's can come on independent of the low beams. Headlight circuit appears to be all solid state, headlight switch at the end of the directional signal lever fires different voltages to the so-called smart junction box. Shown as a box with inputs and outputs, what's in the box.

Controlled by the BCM that depends upon a good power on reset when the button is first pushed, has to reset the program counter to zero so it starts reading code from the beginning, if not, no telling what you will get.

Putting a scope across the battery when hitting the starter, should show a voltage of no lower than 8.5 volts, if lower, either battery or connective type problems will not get a proper POR as its called, and for the more part erratic.

I feel this is your problem, been this was ever since our vehicles are computer controlled, even way back in the early 80's. Also, no trouble codes for this as the same computer that does the controlling also troubleshoots itself. How can it troubleshoot itself if its not reading code properly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Elantra that is doing this now.

I found my car totally dead one morning recently, and had all sorts of possessed things happen as I was charging the battery with jumper cables.

Happened again, and the battery wouldn't charge back up after that. (Still didn't know what caused it)

So, I bought a brand new battery.
Well, I was able to tell now, because the battery was good enough that when I came out in the morning I saw my DRL on. Grrr.
Drove to work, turned off the motor, lights in auto. Watched and verified headlamps, and DRL went out.

Came back out after work, and the DRL was ON again. With a new battery.
Turned over well as if it was still fully charged.

So, twice now after putting in a new battery.
I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I have a 2016 Elantra that is doing this now.

I found my car totally dead one morning recently, and had all sorts of possessed things happen as I was charging the battery with jumper cables.

Happened again, and the battery wouldn't charge back up after that. (Still didn't know what caused it)

So, I bought a brand new battery.
Well, I was able to tell now, because the battery was good enough that when I came out in the morning I saw my DRL on. Grrr.
Drove to work, turned off the motor, lights in auto. Watched and verified headlamps, and DRL went out.

Came back out after work, and the DRL was ON again. With a new battery.
Turned over well as if it was still fully charged.

So, twice now after putting in a new battery.
I'm at a loss.

What happens when you switch your headlamp switch to off, does this problem still occur? My computer goes crazy at times and will switch itself off, has 8 GB of RAM, pull all the memory and use #2 pencil eraser to clean the contacts, then its good for while. Could be one marginal contact to your BCM. Problem with controls like this, but never happened with a good old fashion on-off switch. But people forget to switch it off and end up with a dead battery.

Other problems can be with your battery itself, terminals must be clean, and have to check both 12V and ground connections.

On some vehicle alternator ground has problems, corroded aluminum, solve this by adding a 10 AWG wire ground to the case of the alternator to a good engine ground with silicone and external tooth lock washers.

Using a voltmeter checking for voltage drops helps to find these problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, I need some advice on a problem. when I have the light settings to auto the drls turn on by itself when the car is parked, and i was afraid the drain would be bad for the battery. I have brought this to my local dealers attention, but after they ran test the lights were found to be OK? So what do I do now? Any help for thiss matter will be appreciated!
Since it is happening to you intermittently and the dealer hasn't "seen" it I'd suggest when it does happen to record it. Have your recording show the lights on, get close and show the engine is not on, film where the indicator is on Auto, the whole incident. Then when you do go to the dealer you have something they can see. Usually it will prompt a dealer to take the car in for some time until it happens "for" them so they can diagnose it rather than just giving you a "could not duplicate concern". The other thing would be to make sure you keep having it listed as a line item concern at every opportunity. It will document your concern in case you need it in the future, if the battery fails etc.

Good luck and let us know what happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a resolution to this?

Random question but do you have a sprint drive on this car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same exact issue with my 2017 Elantra SE. My local dealer looked at it afew times and never could duplicate it so I'm not sure what causes it or how to fix it other than not using the auto light settings

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Here is a circuit if that directional lever mounted headlamp switch.

Don't pay attention to that double head lamp dimmer switch, the three switches to the right of that. Switch actually has four positions but in off all three switches to the right are in the off position. Kid that drew this doesn't know the proper schematic drawing of a switch, showing contact in both the on and off positions.

Also note this switch works with the ignition off. In auto position a 6800 ohm resistor is grounded, in tail a 1,000 ohm resistor is added for 7,800 ohms in head, a 3900 ohm is added for 11,700 ohms, this enters different voltages in to the microcontroller circuit to provide for four different functions, do this to save wire.

The if for any reason this switch get wet, rain or swear, that will change the resistance of the switch and may turn things on, another problem is dirty switch contacts adding to the resistance that will switch on lights. Typically a rotary switch like this has self wiping contacts so working the switch up and down will clean them, perhaps solving your problem. Another solution for an erratic switch is to replace it.

Erratic problems are not easy to solve in electronics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts