Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a couple LED bulbs to replace the front signal bulbs on my 2012 Accent. Turns out their switchback bulbs. Im wondering if theres a way to make use of the new LED bulbs white output as the DRL instead of the standard halogen DRL. The LEDs illuminate Xenon White when the parking lights are turned on, but they flash Orange with the turn signal, keyless entry or hazard lights.

What wires would I need to modify to use the LED as the DRL?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes, you can turn on your parking lights and the white light will light up.

If your parking lights are off, only the amber (yellow) will light up and flash.

If your parking or head lights are on, the white light will be lit up until you turn on the signal or turn them off.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's technically possible, but it would require extensive wiring mods.. The DRL's are controlled by an electronic module. When the ignition is on, the module supplies a reduced voltage to the high beam filaments to make them light up, but not with full brightness. These are the DRL's. The high beam filaments are connected directly to the DRL module which has total control of the voltages. The high beams have no connection to a physical switch.

You would need a way to switch off the high beam filaments and at the same time find a way to apply power to the front signal lights (which are normally off when the DRL's are on). The signal lights are on a completely separate circuit, so you'd have to find a way to interconnect the two. The rear signal lights will come on when you power the fronts, so you'd also need a way to shut off the rear lights too.. Not easy :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's technically possible, but it would require extensive wiring mods.. The DRL's are controlled by an electronic module. When the ignition is on, the module supplies a reduced voltage to the high beam filaments to make them light up, but not with full brightness. These are the DRL's. The high beam filaments are connected directly to the DRL module which has total control of the voltages. The high beams have no connection to a physical switch.

You would need a way to switch off the high beam filaments and at the same time find a way to apply power to the front signal lights (which are normally off when the DRL's are on). The signal lights are on a completely separate circuit, so you'd have to find a way to interconnect the two. The rear signal lights will come on when you power the fronts, so you'd also need a way to shut off the rear lights too.. Not easy :)
The OP does not have DRLs. He is just replacing his front parking/signal bulbs with a Switchback bulb. He wants the White light to be on for his version of a DRL. You are complicating something quite simple as I replied previously.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The OP does not have DRLs. He is just replacing his front parking/signal bulbs with a Switchback bulb. He wants the White light to be on for his version of a DRL. You are complicating something quite simple as I replied previously.
The OP is in Canada so he should have DRL lights. (They're required by law in Canada). If you read the snip below, it appears that he wants to use the white light of the Swtichback bulbs instead of the standard halogen headlight DRL that the car came equipped with.

I took that to mean he wants to defeat the existing DRL system and use the switchbacks instead. If so, that is complicated :) .

.Im wondering if theres a way to make use of the new LED bulbs white output as the DRL instead of the standard halogen DRL.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The OP is in Canada so he should have DRL lights. (They're required by law in Canada). If you read the snip below, it appears that he wants to use the white light of the Swtichback bulbs instead of the standard halogen headlight DRL that the car came equipped with.

I took that to mean he wants to defeat the existing DRL system and use the switchbacks instead. If so, that is complicated :) .
My bad. My apologies to you and the OP. You are absolutely correct in your observations and in your answer to the OP.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My bad. My apologies to you and the OP. You are absolutely correct in your observations and in your answer to the OP.
No biggie.. I tweaked on it because I have DRL's and did some looking at the schematics to see how they worked. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Get the OEM LED DRL headlights. Problem solved :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you installs the switchback LED's, all you have to do is turn on your parking lamps. I ordered my set from iJDMtoys.com and work and look great. I sometimes run them along with my DRL's too.

The pic below shows how the switchback looks with the 6000k white parking lamp and the 3000k amber turn/hazard lamp illuminated.
Switchback parking lights.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
AAAAccent - Your headlights look awesome with HIDS. I have not yet seen them with them installed as all the Elantra GTs (i30s in Australia) I see are base model with nothing on them

·
Registered
660 Posts
AAAAccent - Your headlights look awesome with HIDS. I have not yet seen them with them installed as all the Elantra GTs (i30s in Australia) I see are base model with nothing on them
Thank you. I was just trying to get the lights I normally drive with during the day or night to the same color. The switchbacks are awesome and really bright.
I have tried several H7 hi-beam bulbs, but nothing has worked so far. Either too yellow or not bright enough. The stock halogen seems to be brighter than the 6000k range aftermarkets I have tried. Right now I have LED's, but they are dim.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey AAAAccent.. Did you buy new fogs with yellow lenses, or did you apply colored 3M film? If you added the film, how is it holding?

I've got the clear 3M bra on my front bumper to protect it from rock chips.. It seems OK after a year.. I've been tempted to add the yellow film to my fogs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey AAAAccent.. Did you buy new fogs with yellow lenses, or did you apply colored 3M film? If you added the film, how is it holding?

I've got the clear 3M bra on my front bumper to protect it from rock chips.. It seems OK after a year.. I've been tempted to add the yellow film to my fogs.
I added the yellow 3M film. It's a PITA with the shape of the lens, but the heat gun helped with that. It is holding up just fine so far. I did my daughter's Accent and my GT. My wife won't let me do her Sonata though.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts