Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Accent 3dr. h/bk.
I want to install LED DRL's and LED Headlight bulbs, but need to disable the DRL circuit first. I assume if I knew where the DRL controller is ( and what it looks like ) I could disconnect it from the low beam circuit and install the LED headlight bulbs.LED DRL's would just be connected to an IGN circuit.
Any help/advice would be great.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,116 Posts
I'm pretty sure the DRL control unit is built into the dashboard fusebox so you can't simply disconnect it.

I'm not familiar with how the DRLs work on the Accent. The UK models didn't have them.
Usually the DRLs will only switch on after the engine starts up and the headlamps are off, so you might be able to disable them by disconnecting the "engine running" signal from the module. Generally that signal comes from the alternator. If the module never sees that the engine is running, it wont switch the DRLs on.....I don't think.

Unfortunately, I don't have any wiring diagrams for the DRL circuit, but I know a man that probably will have it and @ikilledbarbie should be able to tell you where the alternator signal enters the dashboard fusebox.

Regards.
Scottie.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here you go

Attachments

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
if I knew where the DRL controller is ( and what it looks like ) I could disconnect it from the low beam circuit and install the LED headlight bulbs.
Looking at the diagram (thanks Ken) it seems the control module might just plug into the fusebox after all. The only problem that jumps out at me if you unplug it is the high beam warning lamp on the instrument cluster probably wont work. It seems to be powered by the module. The other thing I notice is it's the high beam bulbs that are used for the DRLs, not the low beam.

The other way I see of disabling them would be to disconnect the DRL resistor (connector E14). That will be out in the engine bay somewhere and might be an easier option than poking about up behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DRL circuit supplies 1/2 voltage to the hi-beam filaments.
The problem with just replacing the regular bulbs with LED's ( without wiring mods )is that LED's don't dim on 1/2 voltage, so you would have full brightness DRL's ( on Hi-beam ) Not a good idea !

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have an '07 Accent 3dr. h/bk.
I want to install LED DRL's and LED Headlight bulbs, but need to disable the DRL circuit first. I assume if I knew where the DRL controller is ( and what it looks like ) I could disconnect it from the low beam circuit and install the LED headlight bulbs.LED DRL's would just be connected to an IGN circuit.
Any help/advice would be great.
This is a very easy job, I had it done when I had (past tense) HID's in the car, you just have to disconnect the DRL Module, I will take a look to see where it is located later and let you know. I will try to take a picture if the lighting is ok.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sorry it took so long to respond we’ve had some serious cold here and I haven’t been under the hood much. The DRL switch is on the drivers side under the air filter it’s a silver looking box and if you disconnect the plug you’re good to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've thought about doing this as well - just curious, when the DRL module is unplugged as you say graham, are there any warning lights that come on on the dashboard, and do the lights (high beam, low beam, etc) all work normally without any modification?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've thought about doing this as well - just curious, when the DRL module is unplugged as you say graham, are there any warning lights that come on on the dashboard, and do the lights (high beam, low beam, etc) all work normally without any modification?
yes, everything works as you would expect it to!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
there are some led bulbs that will work on lower voltage, and on full. most of the earlier led's will work fine on half, but on full, the light output sucks. the problem i ran in to is that the bulb has a cooling fan on the back, and is held in by a wire clip(H7). the clip would not clear the fan housing, no way, no how. the H11 just snaps it, and it was good to go, except that i had to modify the dust cover to clear the fan. this was on our elantras, not accent, so i dunno what bulb goes in the accent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drl disable

Sorry it took so long to respond we’ve had some serious cold here and I haven’t been under the hood much. The DRL switch is on the drivers side under the air filter it’s a silver looking box and if you disconnect the plug you’re good to go.
Thanks for the info ,Graham. I looked for the silver box, but it seems I would have to remove the air filter housing to get at it - is this correct, or is my Accent different? There is a large silver-coloured box behind the air cleaner, but it has a large cable and connector attached, so probably not DRL controller.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks for the info ,Graham. I looked for the silver box, but it seems I would have to remove the air filter housing to get at it - is this correct, or is my Accent different? There is a large silver-coloured box behind the air cleaner, but it has a large cable and connector attached, so probably not DRL controller.
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, every time I go under the hood I forget to take pictures for you, so the location of the DRL box is actually under the front side of the battery very close to your driver side headlight, I have attached a couple pictures for you and I hope they help, you will see the silver box and wiring harness curls around and the connector is on top, you don't need to remove anything to get at it just fiddle with the connector to disconnect it and cover it up with some electrical tape or something so that you don't get moisture in there!

Also, the silver box you're referring to behind the air filter is the ECU or ECM, the Engine Control Unit/Module.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Late reply to this ancient thread, but I was thinking about this again the other day...would there be a way to leave the DRLs in place, but simply send the power for the DRLs to somewhere else...?

i..e. I could install some separate LED lights for DRLs and run the power from the DRL module to those rather than to the high-beam filament on the headlights?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
All accents 2006_2011 have an oval switch for fog lights . Some have switch some do not. Yoyu can order this switch from Hyundai. The wiring is already in the car from switch to the missing lamps.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
All accents 2006_2011 have an oval switch for fog lights . Some have switch some do not. Yoyu can order this switch from Hyundai. The wiring is already in the car from switch to the missing lamps.....
I think you misunderstand! :)

I'm not talking about the fog lights (I have an aftermarket, OEM-style fog light kit installed anyway). The high-beams are used as the DRLs on the MC Accent, so, unless the lights are on or the handbrake is pulled, there is a constant power feed going to the high-beam filament of the headlights with the way the car is wired so that you have DRLs while driving.

My question is, instead of sending that power for the DRLs to the high beam filament, which shortens the life of the headlight bulbs, could I add something like a simple LED DRL kit (not fog lights just a small LED DRL light, like this for crappy example: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jeMg...ning-Lights-Strip-COB-LED-DRL-Bar-Stripes.jpg) on the bumper somewhere, say, but snip the power wire coming from the DRL module that sends that power to the high beam filaments and instead send it to power the new DRLs instead?

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
My question is, instead of sending that power for the DRLs to the high beam filament could I add something like a simple LED DRL kit but snip the power wire coming from the DRL module and instead send it to power the new DRLs instead?
I don't see why not. I think all you'd need to do is unplug the DRL resistor in the engine bay then connect the resistor's power supply to the LED DRLs.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts