·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Has anybody installed these or similar?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have them installed on my 2010. Very easy pry off black cover around the fog light, and snap in the new. Hook up wiring for power.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Where did you get power? From the fuel pump power? Or is there a source from the ECU?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the fuse panel and used a circuit that works when the ignition is on. The old cigarette lighter plug .

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I went to the fuse panel and used a circuit that works when the ignition is on. The old cigarette lighter plug .
Thanks. That should be able to handle the load of a bunch of LED's. I've been looking for something similar to add to my car. Last question: Have you had them long enough to get an idea how they hold up over time?

I wish ALL cars had some form of DRL's that can't be defeated. DRL's are made for people who are too stupid to turn on their headlights in poor visibility conditions, usually in a small car the color of the pavement on a foggy, rainy morning.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
421 Posts
Hey Hornet,

BEST LOOKING and MOST USEFUL mod of all those that I did with my 2012 Santa Fe. Added a set way back in early 2015 and they were still earning their keep! I tied them into the fuel pump power tab on the fuel pump relay in hood fuse panel (negligible power draw!).

LED panels just pop in and replace the original fog lamp backplane; no need to mess with actual fogs. Wires run through factory harness wrapping under radiator across the front of vehicle. Converter box mounted w/ 2-side tape in front of battery down in chassis cavity and single harness runs up and into fuse panel. Factory professional look! And since LEDs wrap around body panel, they work remarkably as side lamps to illuminated the edge of road and ditch, as well.

Later I electronically tied (read: transistor/diode/resistor) the LED circuit into the backup lamp relay and cabin lamp circuit to have LEDs light up along with the backup lamps when the vehicle is unlocked remotely, or when I back up I have the LEDs light up the front and side turning area, or when a door is opened (Like 360-degree puddle lamps).

BTW, LED circuit comes with a HI- and a LOW-output configuration. I used the HI output for the running lamps usage and used the low output for the puddle lamps.

Good luck. Buy them, you'll like them and they will last for a long time.

Reactions: DSHornet

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hey, Mac, welcome back!

I've decided to do a lighting mod or two similar to yours in spite of the third party warranty on my SF (this will be one of them) in celebration of warmer weather this spring.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
421 Posts
RE: Warranty. All of my electrical mods on the Santa Fe were quick reversible in case of a warranty claim except for the floor courtesy lamps where I cut into the side console panels to present a factory looking appearance (could have been mounted by brackets under dash instead of cutting panels).

Those DRL add-ons definitely refreshes the tired look of the CM; it's the added touch now that most new car models run strip led DRLs. And very useful for incorporating other mods as mentioned in my latest post.

Latest mod was to incorporate rear camera function into turn signal circuitry as my version of the blind spot detection system. (Not sure if this was on mod list I PM'd you last year.)

Good luck with the mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts