Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of driving with my fog lights whenever its night time and my headlights come on becuase

1. it looks badass
2. more visibility, especially near the front bumper

thing that worries me is, how long do foglight bulbs last compared to regular headlights? are they made to last as long and is this a good idea?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Fogs lights should only be used when visibility is very poor like in fog. Please do not drive with them on all the time. It blinds oncoming traffic and is very distracting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you read in the car manual, it clearly states that driving with fog lights on is not recommended due to the extra battery drain unless of course you need the extra visibility.

Not sure how true this is, but for now I keep them off. I do notice the ****ers that go at a crawl on the left highway lanes tend to get out of the way more when I have foglights though ^_^

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I wouldn't if I were you. In many places driving with fog lights on in clear weather is actually illegal and you never know when you might get that cop with nothing better to do. I only use my fog lights when the conditions warrant it mainly because I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pros:
1) It looks badass

Cons:
1) More energy use (small impact on MPG)
2) More bulbs to replace
3) You're being an absolute douche bag. You've got high beams to increase visibility, you know, when it's appropriate to have brights on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't understand how having your fogs on is a big issue I think having HIDs not aimed right is a douchebag move honestly it's fricken fog lights. Use them as you please.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Check the laws to make sure you understand them. Its just like tint.

As for blinding oncoming traffic? Are you kidding me? 35W aimed practically at the ground? *shakes head in disbelief*

Brights don't cover just in front of the car so it depends on what added visibility.

To call someone a douche bag for using driving lights, especially the factory OEM ones is the pot calling the kettle black.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. im pretty sure more than half of you dont know what fog lights do or where they aim. next time you hop in your sonata, turn them on and see how high the light shines

2. its not illegal in ontario as far as i know becuase i see people doing that all the time and if i do get pulled over its a minor offense

But you guys bring up a good point about battery drain.... i was asking about the lifetime of fogliights though... does anybody know?

·
Registered
209 Posts
my last car i had for over 10 years, over 100k miles. 100% of the time, my fog lights were on when my headlights were. i had to replace the bulbs once and the 2nd set still currently works.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Sep 15 2010, 04:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356369
I wouldn't if I were you. In many places driving with fog lights on in clear weather is actually illegal and you never know when you might get that cop with nothing better to do. I only use my fog lights when the conditions warrant it mainly because I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.
In Illinois it is illegal to operate any auxilliary lighting (including fog lights) without the main lights being on.

Ive actually been pulled over for this before, but never actually got a ticket for it. The cop just wanted to harass me. Of course I was like 22 at the time, driving the Trans Am (which is red), and I was probably doing something different. Still, that was the excuse he used! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ Sep 15 2010, 08:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356375
i imagine it would lower mpg. i know that headlights lower mpg by 2mpg or 3.

OK, this I have to respond to, how does 2 X 35 W bulbs zap 2-3MPG's. By that logic, if you turn off radio, fan, headlights, and dont use your turn signals AND brake lights, you should be right at 60-70MPG.
MPG's are based on engine config, aerodynamics, and friction, NOT on how many lights you have on.

Another MAJOR misconception, these are NOT fog lights, they are DRIVING LIGHTS. Fog lights have to be yellow tinted and have a much different aim and pattern than driving lights. Yet everyone here calls them fog lights!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Much nonsense. Fog lights (AKA driving lights) are, or should be, aimed down, so do not blind, and use less power than the dimmed high beams that are mandatory as Daytime Running lights in Canada and other countries. They pull six amps from a ~90 amp rated alternator and will not draw down the battery if the engine is running. I drive with them on all the time and no one flashes me--more visibility on my small dark car is more safety.

The Professor

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Sep 15 2010, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356409
OK, this I have to respond to, how does 2 X 35 W bulbs zap 2-3MPG's. By that logic, if you turn off radio, fan, headlights, and dont use your turn signals AND brake lights, you should be right at 60-70MPG.
MPG's are based on engine config, aerodynamics, and friction, NOT on how many lights you have on.

Another MAJOR misconception, these are NOT fog lights, they are DRIVING LIGHTS. Fog lights have to be yellow tinted and have a much different aim and pattern than driving lights. Yet everyone here calls them fog lights!

I TOTALLY agree that fog lights will have no effect on mileage. However I do believe they are called fog lights. Fog lights have special lenses that are designed to disperse light rapidly and to illuminate only the first 6-8 feet in front of the car. Fog lights point down, work only with the low beams and are used for slow speed driving. If the driver switches to high beams, the fog lights turn off. Fog lights can be any color. White is most common, but yellow can be used to reduce glare.

Driving lights differ from fog lights because they have lenses that are designed to focus light on the distance. They also point straight out. Sometimes they work with low beams, but aren't really necessary. Where I grew up, driving lights were used exclusively to assist the high beams. Some people refer to driving lights as auxiliary high beams. Mine did not operate with the low beams. They were the opposite of fog lights. Just like the high beams, driving lights focused the light far down the road or to the sides of the road. They were extremely helpful on dark county roads when you needed extra light for higher speed driving. Driving lights are blinding and are often found on Rally Cars and Off Road Trucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ Sep 15 2010, 04:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356375
i imagine it would lower mpg. i know that headlights lower mpg by 2mpg or 3.
Do the math. A car rated at 120hp will average less than half of this in a typical driving pattern--say 50hp, just about 40 kilowatts. A pair of headlights or foglights or driving lights are about 100 watts, some 1/400th of average power used. So it will increase gas consumption by around one quarter of a percent--say from 40mpg (Imperial) on my Accent to 39.9mpg. I drive with both fogs and DRLs on so get hit down to 39.8mpg. QED

The Professor

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
First of all, 35w OEM fog lights are there purely for decoration purposes. They are not going to blind anyone under any circumstances. Fog lights are NOT driving lights. Driving lights are like auxiliary high beams. REAL fog lights can be switched on independently of the low beams for truly inclement weather. They are designed to be mounted low on the car and shoot *under* fog and other weather without causing glare in the driver's view.

True fog lights are indeed yellow as yellow causes less glare under the above condition, but clear ones are also legitly used as cornering lights, for aesthetics (as on 99.99% of OEM setups including the Sonata), and for safety in conjunction with lowbeams used during the daytime (or nowadays with DRLs). For everyone who says to themselves, "Why is that idiot running with his fog lights on?" that is one more person who NOTICES YOU ARE THERE and hopefully takes steps NOT TO RUN INTO YOU. Very much a legit safety item. In that same vein, I use mine as a sort of cornering light, but mostly to spot deer or other animals on the side of the road waiting for a chance to murder/suicide my bodywork and/or myself.

Plus they look cool, imo.

I am going to put some "real" ones in my GLS openings and aim them at those asshoal deer....

·
Registered
623 Posts
My "fog" lights are wired to my DRLs, so they are constantly on. Haven't had any problems with them and I am certain they do not blind anyone. B)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best thing is (on the back roads) that if you see that the oncoming car has fog lights on.... it’s not a cop... so you can keep speeding. :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts