Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their ride off roads and onto beach and sand? I am reviewing several options for family vacations, and several call for 4x4 vehicles because the beach-front houses in Carova, NC are not on paved roads... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Polaris Flyer @ Jun 13 2010, 01:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332573
Has anyone taken their ride off roads and onto beach and sand? I am reviewing several options for family vacations, and several call for 4x4 vehicles because the beach-front houses in Carova, NC are not on paved roads... Any thoughts?
I would think the AWD Tucson would do good offroad, but sand is a different animal, especially soft sand. I doubt it's a good idea? Most dune buggys, & off road vehicles have balloon type tires, which the Tucson doesn't, plus, most people deflate their tires on sand for better traction, then refill them afterward, but they also have taller, wider tires, not low profile design like the Tuc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jun 14 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332878
Most dune buggys, & off road vehicles have balloon type tires, which the Tucson doesn't, plus, most people deflate their tires on sand for better traction, then refill them afterward, but they also have taller, wider tires, not low profile design like the Tuc.
Very good point! Furthermore, I had forgotten that I have to pull our trailer with all the luggage, bikes and other necessities, and that would invariably cause the AWD to get stuck! Thanks all for your feedback!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll 2cd that, true off roading requires something other than highway tires. You MIGHT get buy with a light truck tire, such as the goodyear wrangler series which has a deeper, more defined tread without sounding like a 4x4 on the highway. If your tire tread looks like the tires on your average sedan, forget it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL, have faith guys, diesel+ auto+awd=no probs on sand!!....well, for Aussies!! ;)
You will be surprised how capable they are, I know I was!! Took my Highlander on a 4wd training course-mostly sand- and had a ball,deflate tyres and go anywhere youre ground clearnce will let you!
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
LOL, have faith guys, diesel+ auto+awd=no probs on sand!!....well, for Aussies!! ;)
You will be surprised how capable they are, I know I was!! Took my Highlander on a 4wd training course-mostly sand- and had a ball,deflate tyres and go anywhere youre ground clearnce will let you!
Hope this helps :)
Have to agree, took my AWD diesel onto Stockton beach via some real soft sand and I was really surprised how well it handled the conditions. I did however deflate the tyres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts