Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to join this forum after driving from Ithaca, New York to Louisville, Kentucky this past week and encountered a lot of snow. It was my first time driving through the snow in my 2016 GT.

I have snow tires, Good Year Ice Grip . They came with the car and so I don't know how long they have been used for. I had a lot of trouble driving in the snow and rather stayed on the right lane of the highway at 40 miles per hour. My strategy was to follow trucks at some length as they paved the way. The car tends to swirl if there is too much snow on the ground.

What are your tips for driving in the snow? What tires are best? Do you use Shiftonic and if so, how?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Snow tires will always be helpful, that's my opinion. But you still have a lightweight front wheel drive car, so snow tires can help only so much. I never put snows on my Elantra MD but it was absolute trash in the snow. There was one winter I couldn't even get up a wet - not snowy, not icy, just wet - hill, and a small hill at that. Part of it was due to the tires I had on for sure, but the E's drivetrain just sucks.

For my wife's old car we've bought multiple sets of General Altimax Arctic's.. very much like those tires. Haven't used any other snow tires so can't compare them to any but she was always very happy in the winter with these tires.

As for driving tips...... what you did sounds fine. There's not much you can do in deep snow except take your time and be safe. Snow tires do not give you the magic ability of being able to drive at 70 in 5" of powder safely. They will help you get up that hill though.

I assume you've got traction control.... you'll find that sometimes you might need to turn that off to really get your wheels spinning to get up a snow covered or icy hill or out of some deeper snow when parked.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I decided to join this forum after driving from Ithaca, New York to Louisville, Kentucky this past week and encountered a lot of snow. It was my first time driving through the snow in my 2016 GT.

I have snow tires, Good Year Ice Grip . They came with the car and so I don't know how long they have been used for. I had a lot of trouble driving in the snow and rather stayed on the right lane of the highway at 40 miles per hour. My strategy was to follow trucks at some length as they paved the way. The car tends to swirl if there is too much snow on the ground.

What are your tips for driving in the snow? What tires are best? Do you use Shiftonic and if so, how?

When I was at Chicago, I had snow tires on my GT. HUGE difference. More stable and you'll drive with more confidence. I guess once advantage I have over you is that I have a manual which is better in the snow. I have more control of the vehicle than automatic drivers.

You'll do fine and you will have more confidence on the road with snow tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the bridgestone Blizzard WS80 winter tires mounted on steel rims. they go on in late November and back off in mid April. I'm driving in Canada. these are awesome winter tires. on this vehicle in snow or icy or subzero temps I would highly recommend the use of winter tires.
as far as the manual shifter ( on an automatic transmission ). I do use it almost exclusively when I am wanting to slow the vehicle
with the best control whilst taking a highway exit. I would be interested to see if others use the shiftronic for regular driving in a manner similar to manual transmission.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Engine braking works very well in the snow for slowing down as the force pushes down on the suspension. Be sure the tire pressure is not too low and it may have to be higher than what is on the door panel, depends on the maximum inflation pressure for the tire.

I like manuals too but don't get caught in the wrong gear if you need power and are being dragged down by deep snow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe in snow tires and won't go without. I use Consumers' Report and Tire Rack for testing and ratings. I had GY Ultra Grips on my old Accord and really didn't like them after the first year. I dumped them before they wore out because they scared me too many times. I've used the major brands over the years, but the fleet all have Michelin X-Ice because of their ice performance. My Elantra was great in the first storm last week. I drive a standard which adds greatly to the control factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts