Hyundai Forums banner

Driving in snow/ice with an Elantra Eco

13K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
I'm kinda wondering how other people drive in the winter with ice/snow on the roads, that own a Eco?

Do you drive in Normal mode? Sport mode, or Eco mode?

I'd think, Eco mode would be the best, since you'll start off with lower engine RPMs, and slower clutch release in speed increase in 1st.

Does the SE and Limited series also offer all 3 modes of driving?

Sure like to hear what you guys have to say.

#3 ·
Because of the lower ground clearance of this car, I had to clean up more snow from the tires' path after I dug it out from the snow storm the other day. I drove in normal mode afterwards and it was fine. A general thing I do with all my cars is to keep them in a lower gear when driving through unplowed streets.

#5 ·
I didn't think to try manual mode with my Eco. I usually just leave it in eco mode but i think it could stand even less torque on the snow and ice. I do like the ground clearance of my Eco Sonata in terms of snow underneath. My previous 2011 Sonata was lower and I had some trouble with snow underneath. From observation it almost seems as though the 15'-17' Limited trim does sit lower than mine.

#6 ·
42*F Wednesday, rain yesterday followed by snow, snow over the ice, 1*F this morning. Drove up a very steep hill, snow covered with my 17 Limited and Nexen tires on them. no slippage, traction control light did not come on, one of the best winter vehicles ever.

What does eco, normal, or sport mode have to do with traction control?

#8 ·
Stay in manual mode, lets you start off in 2nd gear, need a light foot, once a wheel breaks free, you are not going anywhere. Less chance of breaking free in 2nd, than 1st.

Rely heavily on engine braking by down shifting, what is really terrible is this ABS module required by law, every vehicle I looked at, all the same, that ABS pump motor is garbage, see better motors on a model slot car. Only pulses about once every second. Never on equal traction, sounds like the front end is falling apart. Traction control is just the opposite pulses that spinning wheel with your brakes, one pulse per second, will never replace a limited slip differential

Where ABS releases the brake on a stalled wheel, some Standford professor playing statistical games on his laptop claims ABS is 14% safer than not having it, so congress made this law.

ABS module in there is throwaway, depending where you buy a replacement, least 500 bucks for this piece of trash, so do not rely on it at all.

Another important characteristic, is having a 50-50 weight distribution between the front and rear wheels, Elantra is not bad in this respect, worse vehicle of this is a pickup truck, guys that have to have these are running empty, huge weight on the front wheels have a lot better traction than the rears, so the rear breaks free.

Guys using snow plows load the bed with gravel or rock, but idiots that buy these things run empty. Do have one advantage, more ground clearance, practically all compacts, only about 5", if getting like 8" of fresh snow on the ground, not going anywhere until the plow goes by.

#9 ·
Had to drive through icy conditions this morning with my Elantra Sport that has only normal and sports mode. It's all about footwork, especially on turbocharged cars. Eco mode hardens the accelerator pedal requiring more force to achieve acceleration. It will assist you by limiting your acceleration and preventing wheel slippage.

#10 ·
Unfortunately, we live in a society governed by the clock, have to be on time for work or school, regardless of road conditions, just say to leave earlier.

Ha, when driving a compact vehicle watch out for those SUV's and pickup trucks. They call these accidents.

"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

#12 ·
32*F is not nice, got both rain and snow, 5" of it.

Have to drive uphill and make a sharp right turn for even a steeper hill, Elly could only make it half way up, first time.

No problems backing up, seems like traction is better in reverse, turned to my left on the road, and backed up, up the hill, can make a flying start as I call it, this time Elly made it up. She doesn't like being left out in the cold.

At 5 am, cleared off the driveway with my snowthrower, left a sheet of ice on it, this morning, Elly had no problem driving up it after a sharp slow right turn. Still the best winter car ever.

Claim a vehicle is an extension of your body and as such, should take good care of it, she only gets the best maintenance, fuel, and lubricants, and is driven very sanely.

See a lot of people really mistreat their vehicles, but when I look at them, don't take very good care of their own bodies either. Unfortunately have to share the roads with them.

#14 ·
What terrible weather, if it was only a couple of degrees warmer. Got an ice rain yesterday, driveway is so slippery, can't even walk on it.
Well down it, but not up it. Down to close to zero today,

Elly just drove up in now, no problems, but she just does not like plowing snow, tells me this is a man's job. I think she wants to be a figure skater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.