Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

My Santy is up to 145,600 miles and still running like a top but I have started to notice a 'thud' in the driveshaft when applying the throttle at speed. It happens every time I step on the gas pedal unless I'm extremely gentle with it and the faster I step on the pedal, the rougher the thud becomes. I believe there is excessive play in the driveshaft (or propshaft) and every time power is routed through it, the slack is taken up and it thuds when it meets resistance.

Anybody else had this problem and any clue as to how much it might cost to tighten things up?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your likely cause is excess pinion lash to ring gear out back.

Driving steady, apply some power and you will feel a smal bump and pull, then lift of throttle and feel shaft float and bump when load goes to coast ..

To remedy, you would for most part need to reset the ring gear backlash... and nobody going to want to deal with that,, too involved for the regular everyday fella.

I have rebuilt a pile of the Toyota front loaders in my day, but the rear loader is a bit harder to do, but it can be done.. I used to set the backlash less then 1/2 of what TOYOTA called for, they did not clunk after that, they was smoother.

Seeing you is 4WD, could have same concern with the pinion in the transfer, then add in all the rest of the drive line lash wear over time..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts